Sean

Money no object.
Uncompromised tone is everything.
Weight is not an issue.
Size is not an issue.
Cab size/weight not an issue.
Price of spares not an issue.
Maintenance not an issue.

Now that I've hacked out a lot of subjectivity...

What is the best bass amp ever made?

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1359059587' post='1949334']
Whichever one suits you best. In my case it's an Acoustic 220 with a 402 and 404 cab.
[/quote]
This wasn't the point of the thread. My SEAT Altea suits me the best out of dozens of cars but it's not the greatest car ever. Come on, dream a little :-)

Edited by Sean

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1359058064' post='1949293']
It's all in the fingers maaan.
[/quote]

I wish someone had told me this before; I could have saved a fortune because I could have had a smaller car and spent more money on beer. No amp would be fantastic. Also no bass too. Just a couple of fingers :-)

Dunno really. If you've got a good active EQ on your bass, and an efficient cab then you just need a box with a 'make it louder' knob.

Why does nobody make one of these? Money no object - I'd probably have one custom made.

(I do like Ampegs amps though - not so much love for the cabs).

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1359059587' post='1949334']
Whichever one suits you best. In my case it's an Acoustic 220 with a 402 and 404 cab.
[/quote]

Also - who stocks 'Acoustic' amps in the UK? I'm a diehard Jazz bass fan and want to know what the fuss is about.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1359062788' post='1949410']
Dunno really. If you've got a good active EQ on your bass, and an efficient cab then you just need a box with a 'make it louder' knob.

Why does nobody make one of these?
[/quote]
Aren't you taking about a power amp? Loads of companies make em. Still wondering what you think the greatest amp is :-)

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1359063176' post='1949419']
Aren't you taking about a power amp? Loads of companies make em. Still wondering what you think the greatest amp is :-)
[/quote]

I suppose so - you'd need to drive them a bit harder than you average bass guitar can to get the most out of them though. Something that converts the signal to line level and then into a power amp to hoof it out of the speaker would be ideal...

From comments I've heard and read by the few who've owned one, it seems that the Markbass TTE heads are a good contender for the 'best' out there, if you want a massive clean all valve sound. They're supposed to be comparable to the Mesa 400 but in a ridiculously lightweight package. They look sexy too :gas:

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1359065317' post='1949476']
yes, but I still want only one control knob on my amp. Dual concentric pot at a push...
[/quote]

Plenty of preamps with one knob about. More commonly two though, in and out, or being stereo. Its the other knobs that come on things that make them marked for 'bass guitar', just need to look at plain preamps if you want simple.