Why become a member? ×

What do you ask when advertising for a vocalist?

xgsjx

I think going to a couple of open mics might be a good idea, don't know if I could sit through a karaoke though.
I've never been in the Green Room since it changed it's name. Did a gig in it when it was Mucky's & that was the last time I was ever in there.

I don't mind helping with the lyrics & getting the basics of the melody down, but I'd rather be part of a band that has each musician competent in writing their own parts.

I've just abandoned the idea of ever finding a good vocalist, they're definitely the hardest musician to find. There's just so many hurdles to get over. Actually being able to sing, style, lyrics, people not liking your singers voice.

The normal job of a singer is to provide melody, why not just move the melodies to the other instruments? It's astonishing how easily a singer can be replaced by some nice melodies and expressive playing.

Instrumental music has really surged in popularity lately, if you can go instrumental, my advice would be do.

Learn to sing, I take it you learned how to at the bass so your half way there.
Everybody can sing you just have to find the right key and tones. Start with a few covers do some lessons and practice.
You will
Get more gigs out side your own band as you can do backing vocals and sing the odd tune too
Never have to worry about auditions with singers
Which is a major pain.

Edited by swanbrook

Make sure that they understand the level of commitment that you want them to have.
Make sure that they understand that they have to be able to remember the lyrics without print-outs.
Make sure they understand that rehearsals are not practise.
Make sure they understand that although they have very little gear that they are expected to help carry gear.
Make sure that they can drive and have their own transport - if this matters to you.
Make sure that they are the sort of person that you'd enjoy a pint with - this is very important.
Make sure that they are into music and not just into being a frontperson/vocalist.
Make sure that they understand how to use a "/" correctly when writing ads < only joking with that one but deadly serious from experience with all the others.

AARGH!

Back to searching . . .don't you just love singers?

The vocalist gave us the boot by text (well, her boyfriend did) 2 hours before a rehearsal that we had arranged specifically to suit her: Oh and my phone didn't ring once that day before getting the text.

"hi I'm ****, ***'s boyfriend. Been trying to call you but can't get through. I know you're having a band practice tonight. ***'s been in bed all week with a virus and is still horrendous. She feels terrible and embarrassed that she has to let you down again, with that said, she did admit that it's probably better that she pulls out and you find a replacement for the band. She doesn't want to let you guys down again and admittedly she is going to struggle with evening band practices. Hope you understand".

It didn't really surprise me as she pulled out of the previously agreed rehearsal at 15 minutes notice and couldn't make the replacement rehearsal. Shame really as she had a cracking voice.

Onwards and upwards. Back to sifting the chaff from the chaff on Glasgow gumtree.

We've just struck lucky in finding a fantastic 20 year old who A. Can really sing B. Likes our set and has learned it real quick and C. FITS IN, which is the most important thing. We had to wait a while and see a few to find the right one but Katie has come up trumps. We did audition a guy who had done the Europe thing and up and down this country who had a 10K PA WTF. He also sang really well but was a bit full of himself and we all thought that he'd try and take over.

The most difficult band position to fill imo but good luck!

That is the problem with auditioning singers. You are more likely to get an utterly talentless idiot turn up than for any other band role. Most people who think they can sing can't. They've had a go in the bathroom and they think they're pretty good, but when you put them against a musical backdrop they tend to sound dreadful and realise that they're not very good at all.

At the other end of the spectrum, you can get decent singers who have spent enough time gigging to form a whopping ego, who seek to see every musical project focus on them because they're the singer. It's a chore, unlike finding a good guitarist!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1359044708' post='1948950']
As some might know, I'm putting together a band. It's the first time I've done this as prevous bands have been me joining them.

I put a couple of ads up for various musicians, got a guitarist, a drummer (got rid of one that was stoned), and a control surface player, but one thing that struck me is vocalists.

Every one so far has had no experience with a mic, don't know any basic music theory (what's a chord?) or play any instruments & then when they get in front of a mic, they struggle.
The first singer I had did have a good voice, but as he hadn't used a mic before, he hated the sound of his voice & doesn't want to sing through a mic again. :(

I've now got more singers interested, but again, no experience with a band or a mic & no writing skills either.
I don't mind them having no experience if they're a good singer, but there's a lot of bedroom singers that can barely sing any better than me!

I suppose I'm used to my last band's singer being an excellent songwriter & musician all round & finding someone with just a part of his skill is a task.

So how do you guys go about getting a singer that has some skill & weeding out the bedroom singers?
Do I have to have 5 turn up to an audition?
[/quote]

There are far too many "x factor generation" singers out there. Some may have potential, some may be good already... but the vast majority are clueless. For that reason, whenever we needed one, we always made sure we indicated he/she must have experience, and we want clips before deciding to get together for a try out.