Why become a member? ×

2013 Sterling by Musicman basses, inc a fretless Ray34CA

dave_bass5

Just came across this (not literately of course:) on Facebook.
Full list of whats in the pic.
Left to right:
Ray34CA-SVM Silver Metallic
Ray34CAFL-VC Fretless in Vintage Cream
Ray34CA-MG Mint Green
Ray35-TWB Translucent White Blonde
Ray34-BK Black
Ray34-HB HoneyBurst
Ray34-TWB Translucent White Blonde
— with real music concepcion.

Ive wanted a Ray34CA since they were first announced, in fact that's the only bass i do hanker after, its just a shame i cant afford one. Black and maple or Sunburst and maple would do me.
Ive often thought about a SB14, for the thinner neck, but i think i like the tone of the Ray34 better (i had one of the original Ray34's).

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='loushort' timestamp='1360237037' post='1967074']
I got a white ray34 with the three band eq from a guy on here back in November
and its just fantastic, a million times better than the original Stringray5 I had in the 90's
which sounded fantastic but had moving neck syndrome
[/quote]

May well be the one I bought in May of last year. I found out that they`re not for me, so I traded it in Aug, and did notice Mark was selling it. Was a great bass though, a real player. I also bought a "real" Stingray, and there really was hardly any difference between the two. I`d recommend anyone wanting a Stingray to check these out.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1360239748' post='1967140']

May well be the one I bought in May of last year. I found out that they`re not for me, so I traded it in Aug, and did notice Mark was selling it. Was a great bass though, a real player. I also bought a "real" Stingray, and there really was hardly any difference between the two. I`d recommend anyone wanting a Stingray to check these out.
[/quote]

• 1 year later...

Had a bit of a lesson on Tuesday on a fretless and bugger me I've got serious GAS now for a RAY 34CAFL fretless. They do them in four colours all rosewood. I fancy the sunburst, followed by the mint. Haven't got a Musicman so it would be killing two birds with one stone, justifying my GAS.

What do you think? Good bass to get as a fretless? Not sure what it will sound like but I'm at the Show on the weekend and hopefully they'll have one up there.

Edited by Mr Fretbuzz

It's weird. The Stirling by Music Man site says the fretless is available in mint, sunburst, cream and black but the local dealer says he can only get cream and black. I'm double checking but it's a bummer as I wanted a mint :-( bet the Americans get all the colours and we get a limited selection

Edited by Mr Fretbuzz

I had a mint green, but it had to go back. Having owned five or six stingrays I found it very similar in tone, but not in construction, fit, finish or quality. In many ways I preferred it, as it really did feel like a stingray/mij jazz hybrid.
However the neck was a total wreck. Felt great but waved around, causing tuning issues, terrible fretwork, unseated frets, truss rod didn't work properly, and all of the above conspired to make a set up almost impossible. Same as a Squier jag I just bought. Shame cause it looked great, although, as is often the case with rays it could be tonally a bit much and too powerful for very subtle accompanying compared to other bass choices. But for funk and rock it was ace.
That silver really catches my eye, love it.

Edited by gafbass02

Just bought a Ray34 second hand off the ebay for £320, having had to part with my '98 3 band Stingray of 10 years standing last year ...sigh..
Have to say I am very impressed. Fret dressing isnt up to standard but a trip to a decent Luthier can take it from 'decent' to 'excellent' as soon as I have some pennies to burn. sounds great, plays really well. V.Happy. Pretty new to this so haven't quite worked out how to attach a pic..

Edited by BaggyMan

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1394271330' post='2389691']
I've just been watching this and now I've got GAS for a fretless ray. I'm not sure I even know why!! Damn you Basschat!
[media]http://youtu.be/TRjiMN2qJHI[/media]
[/quote]
That's brilliant mate - ta!

[quote name='merello' timestamp='1394483468' post='2391882']

That's brilliant mate - ta!
[/quote]

No problem! I love how he says he can't read music but then has such a great knowledge of music he can 'quote' a melody by Stravinsky, from memory, by ear. Incredible player.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1394271330' post='2389691']
I've just been watching this and now I've got GAS for a fretless ray. I'm not sure I even know why!! Damn you Basschat!
http://youtu.be/TRjiMN2qJHI
[/quote]

Yeah, I bought my fretless Ray from a Pino fan, this ain't going to help the GAS I'm afraid..;)

[IMG]http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac162/MattM1314/7217576e.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='MattM' timestamp='1394488569' post='2391960']

Yeah, I bought my fretless Ray from a Pino fan, this ain't going to help the GAS I'm afraid..;)

[IMG]http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac162/MattM1314/7217576e.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

*droooools*