Why become a member? ×

*Help* Small amp with great sound

wahit

Guest bassman7755

I think you should just get an amp simulator like a bass pod / zoom B3 / Digiteh BP200 etc and medium powered PA speaker (or a bass combo that can run very clean).

The amp sims these days are amazing and are specifically designed to recreate the sound of big amps running at full power. I remember seeing loads of pods/bass pods on stage when I watched live-8 on TV, and I'm sure a lot of studio recording use these things too.

Edited by bassman7755

If you just need to get the sounds you're getting but at lower volumes, then as has already been suggested above, get yourself a Behringer BDI-21. For £25 you can't go wrong - and if for some reason you don't like it, you can flip it on here for very little loss. Got to be worth a try at that price I would have thought.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_vtone_bass_bdi21_analog_modeling_preamp.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_vtone_bass_bdi21_analog_modeling_preamp.htm[/url]

I used one very happily a while back and it gives the SansAmp a run for it's money at a fraction of the price. Nice warm, tube tones and plenty of crunch and grit on tap if you want it. Recommended.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='wahit' timestamp='1359299736' post='1952665']
Yeah, thinkin' about that too. Probably I'll end up buying a Zoom B3 or something like that. I'm just slightly afraid I may end up with a very "digital" sound, but hey... I can't have everything at the same time. I guess ;)
[/quote]

IME theres nothing remotely "digital" sounding about the current generation of amp simulators, I'm willing to get that a good proportion of people who claim to like only real valve amps would not be able to tell the difference in a blind test between say a bass pod and a DI'd SVT.