Why become a member? ×

Who are the most reliable large online bass dealers ??

hamfist

I always try to buy through my local shops, I will look for the best price online and if my local shop can get close I will order through them (I will happily pay a bit more just to be sure the local dealer survives) I am sure most of the online guys do a sterling job but if I don't use the local shops they will just vanish and I won't get the chance to walk into the local shop, have a sudden attack of GAS and leave a good few hundred quid lighter than I went in with!

I have brought used guitars online from both private and trade sellers usuallu via evilbay and except for an "immaculate" Epiphone SG with a cracked neck and both pickups disconnected my experiences have always been good

All of my experiences with Thomann have been positive - good customer service, everything well packaged and prompt delivery..

General consensus seems to be to buy secondhand over brand new - can save you hundreds of pounds and instruments are generally well set up if they've been used unlike some of the horror stories you hear about new gear...

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1358881356' post='1946544']
I always try to buy through my local shops[/quote]

Me too, and I gladly pay 25% more, but only if they do their job well. But as to large online bass dealers, the original question, my experience with the following has been perfect or more than perfect:

Andertons
GAK
Gear4Music
Thomann

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1358881356' post='1946544']
an "immaculate" Epiphone SG with a cracked neck and both pickups disconnected
[/quote]

For an Epi, that was indeed immaculate. Wow. Count yourself lucky!
;)

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

Never actually bought a bass online, but I tried so hard to buy my Takamine classical locally, then gave up on that and thought I'd settle for a U.K. company, no joy, so eventually, sadly, my money went to Germany. Can't fault Thomann's performance in this matter though.

i have a local PMT by buy online via Dolphin (owned by PMT) because I had great customer service from one of the sales guys there.
Thomann have always been prompt and efficient so use them too.
Had a falling out with DV247 over a PA enquiry, so their name is mud in my house.

If its just a straight purchase, I'd be happy using pretty much any of the large, well known online companies though.

Would have a hard time buying an instrument online but for everything else I've used Thomann frequently, GAK a handful of times and stringbusters loads. Also bought strings from Status and I've never had to deal with customer service, but that's only because all of the orders have been hassle free.

A local shop to me are simply brilliant and they are also developing online sales steadily. They will negotiate prices and Gary their bass man is not only a great bloke he can also play a bit of bass ;)

Promenade Music.

Thomann have always delivered on goods and service.

But to answer the questions, I've found GAK to be verrrry helpful, even going so far as to help me out when legally they had no need to.

Soundslive were also very helpful, as are Absolutemusic and gear4music. The only one I have had purely neutral experience with were dolphin music. Nothing bad, but nothing remarkable either, certainly considering how helpful and knowledgable the other retailers were in my dealings with them.

FYI, I've actually bought from so many simply because there were specific instances where only one of them had the item (or set of items) I wanted in stock at any given time, hence I've tried them all at various times.

Gak sold me a guitar with rusty strings, dodgy finish, awful action and minus any of the tools and proper box, I complained and they promptly swapped for a brand new one which came with all the case candy and nicely set up. Good customer service in that they responded and dealt with the problem but its a shame it had to happen in the first place. 75 quid cheaper than buying local though.