Why become a member? ×

minor songs moved to major keys

throwoff

Big Momma Thornton and Junior Wells were two artists who performed 'Hound Dog' in a minor key.
Elvis, for his massive hit, sung in a major key.

There's a great B&W tv version of Big Momma Thornton singing it on You Tube. I think she's actually carrying a handbag too. Buddy Guy on guitar.

That is seriously interesting. It's really disorientating, to the point where I can't say if I like it or not, cos my brain is just frazzled by it. But with some of the chord changes in there I get a real emotional lift from hearing a major where I'm expecting a minor. A really fascinating experience - many thanks for posting!

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1358788432' post='1945018']
Ah Melodyne, what would we do without you?
[/quote]

We'd probably have to rely on Autotune as an emetic :)

Having said that, the videos posted above contain some of the most legitimate uses of pitch correction I've ever heard.

Edited by dincz

I depped in a friends cover band once. I'd always wondered why the words the singer sang, to the well known songs they played were correct, but the melodies were weirdly different and unexpected. It was only when I started rehearsing with them did I realise the reason was that all the chords to the songs they played were wrong. I made them aware of the fact and offered to show them the correct chords but they'd played their set for so long like this that they were set in their ways. It ended up with me having to learn the songs the warped way they played them. That REM song sounds just like them. Weird, weird, weird.

Edited by gjones

Fie, fie, fie!! Urgh. As a lover of minor keys, and a trad metal fan, I can't bear to listen to that Metallica track, and also hate the others posted here, I'm afraid.
There's one 1960s song that I learned twice because I have MP3s of the released version - in A major - and of an earlier vocals-drums-guitar-bass-only demo version in E minor. Guess which I like better :rolleyes: :D