Why become a member? ×

Running 2 different amps at once?

Osiris

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of possibly getting a 2nd amplifier to use when gigging in larger venues and want to know the easiest/best/most efficient way of doing so. My current rig consists of a TC Electronic Classic 450 into a 4 ohm Tecamp M212. I also have a Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout 8 ohm 1 x 12 that is used for rehearsing and smaller gigs.

Obviously with the Tecamp being 4 ohm, I can't run a second cab with the TC. What I would like to do, if viable, is to effectively run 2 rigs at a time - with one amp powering the Tec and another powering the Boogie. So my question is, how best to do so?

According to the TC manual, I can run a second TC amp by plugging the effects loop out of one into the effects loop return of another. However, what is not clear (to me, at least) is if this will effectively treat the second amp as a slave power amp, meaning that I can only control the volume? i.e. I will have no control over the eq or compressor? Having full control over the second amp is desirable, but probably not essential - I just want to know what the facts are before deciding whether to pursue this idea or not.

If I were to run a signal from the effects loop out of one amp into the instrument input of a second, would that work? i.e. would the signal be strong enough or of the correct impedance? (Does the signal impedance even matter???).

After years of trying all variety of amps and cabs, the gear I currently have gives me the sound that I want so I really don't want to have to change any of it. What I have in mind would be to get a second Classic 450, or maybe an RH450, and use that to drive the little Boogie cab while the first amp powers the Tecamp.

Your thoughts, advice, input, derision etc. on this much appreciated.

Sid.

Guest bassman7755

Using 2 amps slaved sounds like a lot of faff. If I ever need more volume than my RH450 can provide (which I cant ever imagine, but still ...) then I would take the DI out to a hefty dedicated power amp so in effect using the RH as a preamp.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1358605658' post='1942080']
Using 2 amps slaved sounds like a lot of faff. If I ever need more volume than my RH450 can provide (which I cant ever imagine, but still ...) then I would take the DI out to a hefty dedicated power amp so in effect using the RH as a preamp.
[/quote]
I've only used my Classic 450 into 8 ohms so far, and that was plenty loud enough, even in a huge hall.

[quote name='Osiris' timestamp='1358604074' post='1942045']
Hi folks,

I'm thinking of possibly getting a 2nd amplifier to use when gigging in larger venues and want to know the easiest/best/most efficient way of doing so. My current rig consists of a TC Electronic Classic 450 into a 4 ohm Tecamp M212. I also have a Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout 8 ohm 1 x 12 that is used for rehearsing and smaller gigs.

Obviously with the Tecamp being 4 ohm, I can't run a second cab with the TC. What I would like to do, if viable, is to effectively run 2 rigs at a time - with one amp powering the Tec and another powering the Boogie. So my question is, how best to do so?

According to the TC manual, I can run a second TC amp by plugging the effects loop out of one into the effects loop return of another. However, what is not clear (to me, at least) is if this will effectively treat the second amp as a slave power amp, meaning that I can only control the volume? i.e. I will have no control over the eq or compressor? Having full control over the second amp is desirable, but probably not essential - I just want to know what the facts are before deciding whether to pursue this idea or not.

If I were to run a signal from the effects loop out of one amp into the instrument input of a second, would that work? i.e. would the signal be strong enough or of the correct impedance? (Does the signal impedance even matter???).

After years of trying all variety of amps and cabs, the gear I currently have gives me the sound that I want so I really don't want to have to change any of it. What I have in mind would be to get a second Classic 450, or maybe an RH450, and use that to drive the little Boogie cab while the first amp powers the Tecamp.

Your thoughts, advice, input, derision etc. on this much appreciated.

Sid.
[/quote]

if you connected them like this you'd get the eq and compessor setting from the first amp i think.

andy