Why become a member? ×

New Markbass Multiamp

discreet

[quote name='gillento' timestamp='1459247576' post='3014675']
Does this mean, that also with the 2015 model we have no direct "on the fly" access to the master level?
[/quote]

Mine is a 2014,and on every firmware version I have always had direct access to master output level! I believe that the 2015 version now has replaced the knob which used to be the headphone output level, with a master level knob, and the one immediately below it (which used to be master level) is now labeled "level" which I think is a patch output level
so should be no different, just in a different place.

Edited by MoJoKe

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1459274734' post='3015047']
Me too! I've been lurking in this thread...!
[/quote]

Haha, Stop lurking, get trying out!

Think of the tones you're missing out on, the flexibility and, most importantly, simplicity of setup! I have mine in a 2u Gator abs rack case, I stuff all my cables into the back, and my Softstep fits neatly into the front lid. Gig bag, Gator case and whichever cabs I'm using, and I'm done! No moohassive pedal board, just a simple Softstep which you can drive a truck over without damage. What's not to love!

If you're anywhere near the southwest PM me if you want to try it out.

Edited by MoJoKe

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1459289182' post='3015258']
Just noticed the other day how much they have come down in price, a mono one is now around £750
[/quote]

The "street" price for the mono one (GAK etc) is still around £1049, so if you've seen cheaper it may be someone trying to shift a 2014 or demo model, or alternatively the cheapest DV Mark guitar one, which does sell for around that...

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1459342165' post='3015603']
The "street" price for the mono one (GAK etc) is still around £1049, so if you've seen cheaper it may be someone trying to shift a 2014 or demo model, or alternatively the cheapest DV Mark guitar one, which does sell for around that...
[/quote]

Thomann: Mono £777 and the Stereo £859.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?bf=&sw=markbass+multiamp

Interestingly cheap, though the images are of the 2014 model. Also as far as I know, they still cannot sell any Markbass with UK spec power supplies, so if it goes wrong it has to go back to Germany... (this old chestnut:- [size=4][color=#6F6F6F][font=Oswald, sans-serif]Markbass amps/combos are manufactured to be sold and used in the country of purchase, and they are factory preset to that country’s voltage. Due to homologation issues, the voltage may not be changed.)[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1459359887' post='3015827']
.....Also as far as I know, they still cannot sell any Markbass with UK spec power supplies, so if it goes wrong it has to go back to Germany... (this old chestnut:- [color=#6F6F6F][font=Oswald, sans-serif]Markbass amps/combos are manufactured to be sold and used in the country of purchase, and they are factory preset to that country’s voltage. Due to homologation issues, the voltage may not be changed.)[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Is there a difference in real life?
What about other brands?

I sold and bought amps from/to the UK and nothing ever went wrong.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1459382575' post='3016101']
Voltage in EU and UK is the same as makes no difference: the old chesnut you quote is to get you to buy from the local importer and to support UK retailers.....
[/quote]

Take it up with Marco, I don't work for Markbass, so have no axe to grind here, just quoting what they have said for so long on their website! More importantly it would be sensible to check whether Thomann are quoting for 2015 models before hitting the buy button....

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1459515701' post='3017325']
The Thomann ones are older ones, No biggie for me with the saving.
[/quote]

Mine's a 2014, very, very happy with it. If on the latest firmware no real difference, only cosmetic to bring into line with the guitar version. The output stage isn't a problem for me as mine is mono. I go speakon to the first cab and link to the second with a speakon. I'm sure I heard somewhere though, that the EU and UK power section is different...

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1459411551' post='3016193']
Take it up with Marco, I don't work for Markbass, so have no axe to grind here, just quoting what they have said for so long on their website! More importantly it would be sensible to check whether Thomann are quoting for 2015 models before hitting the buy button....
[/quote]

Not an issue for me either....just sayin! All my current MB gear was sourced from UK dealers incidentally.

As far as the 2014 vs 2015 model thing goes, the one I know about is that it's less fiddly to get the individual patch levels right. With the 2015 every patch has a level and there's a patch level knob, with the 2014 you have to have something like a flat eq or a speaker sim or play with amp gain to make sure your patches don't vary too much. Not really an issue for me as I set it all up with the remote control software anyway, which makes things loads easier.

I still have no GAS whatsoever for pedals or amps since I got mine (although I did cheat and keep a DHA valve preamp / DI as a spare). I'm digital forever now.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='adamg67' timestamp='1460154637' post='3023242']
I still have no GAS whatsoever for pedals or amps since I got mine (although I did cheat and keep a DHA valve preamp / DI as a spare). I'm digital forever now.
[/quote]

Ditto. I have a Behringer BDI21 in my PA flightcase, just in case, but no plans for needing to change my rig for a good while to come. I'm doing a gig shortly which has specified no backline, in-ear monitoring only, I am looking forward to trying mine out just as a preamp/FX, which is a first for me, but might just be the future! What are you using for a pedal? The MarkBass one is totally plug and play, but quite limited as to what it can do, as you are limited to 8 buttons, and you have to change modes before you can switch between amps and FX.

The Softstep is slightly more complex to get setup, but similar price, and once you put the correct firmware on it, it is so much more versatile. On stage I swap between a fretted active bass, and a passive fretless. I have mine set up so that I switch between three scenes using the main left/right keys on the right of the pedal. Each bank of 10 buttons are then labelled:-

FRT : Has a different amp/effect chain patch on each pedal, configured for my active fretted bass
FX : This is sits in the middle of the three, and has a tuner button, a tap tempo button and then 8 effects buttons, which are set to control types of effects, rather than specific ones (ie. mods, delays, drives, octave, etc) all of which can be pre-configured on the Multiamp itself.
FLS : Has a different amp/effect chain patch on each pedal, configured for my passive fretless

This means that I can simply swap my bass, choose the correct patch for the song, then go to the middle FX scene, and whichever amp/fx patch I am using, I can then switch effects on and off with the same button layout (ie button 1 is always Drives, 2 is Modulations, 3 is Pitch, 4 is Delay, 5 is Filters, etc..)

I find this layout gives pretty much infinite possibilities. The only thing I have struggled with is configuring a volume button (I don't want to have to use yet another pedal on stage. We use a Behringer desk, and on the Softstep X32 scene I can toggle reverb, but also have 4 volume buttons, set up X/Y, which adjusts the desk master output level and each of the three vocals). Currently I cannot find a similar Midi control for the master gain on the Multiamp, but I'm sure I can find a way!

It also looks really funky glowing away on the stage!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='adamg67' timestamp='1460154637' post='3023242']
As far as the 2014 vs 2015 model thing goes, the one I know about is that it's less fiddly to get the individual patch levels right. With the 2015 every patch has a level and there's a patch level knob, with the 2014 you have to have something like a flat eq or a speaker sim or play with amp gain to make sure your patches don't vary too much. Not really an issue for me as I set it all up with the remote control software anyway, which makes things loads easier.

[/quote]

Not sure if makes any difference.. Another small change is that the 2014 is made in Italy and 2015/16 is made in Indonesia. Might be why these where £1500 when first hit the market

• 1 month later...

Ahh, great to see there is a thread on these great amps. I got the Mono off here a few months back in a trade and have to say so far i love it. I've mostly used it at home in a different home project band but am now feeling ready to gig it sometime soon with my main functions band. I have the Markbass foot pedal too and finally think I've got my head around it now...it has been a slow process learning it to be honest.

As previously mentioned It would be great to have a patch sharing space :)

I've just discovered another big multiamp plus after I bought a new bass a couple of weeks ago with a wildly different tone to my existing one, an Ibanez ATK with stainless roundwouds vs a BTB with flats. An hour with the multiamp and I've got a load of presets to play with at rehearsals so I can find the right sound for the new bass, and then it'll be no problem just switching between the two. Love it.

Edited by adamg67

• 1 month later...

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1461152836' post='3031893']
What are you using for a pedal? The MarkBass one is totally plug and play, but quite limited as to what it can do, as you are limited to 8 buttons, and you have to change modes before you can switch between amps and FX.
[/quote]

I just noticed this question, 4 months later! About par for me :) I do use the MB pedal, and I like it, it's pretty flexible with a few different modes for switching presets, but yes you do have switch to the patch select mode to turn things on and off - but, you can just have two presets, one with the effect on and one with it off. I use it in "bank" mode, where the right hand 2 buttons go up and down 6 presets at a time and the other 6 select between presets... quite hard to describe, but it gives an easy way to get at all the presets quickly.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1476042840' post='3150803']
I've got the MB midi pedal board...anyone know how you get the volume pedal working ? - I'm using a moog exp pedal if that helps. Wish there was a better manual for the MB pedalboard :(
[/quote]

Ahh...worked it out...it needs a 3 wire exp pedal not a mono that i was using. Anyone sharing any patches ?