Why become a member? ×

New Markbass Multiamp

discreet

[quote name='the someone' timestamp='1441835751' post='2862276']
Awesome... I found that the comp icon flashes on when the gain and master output gets turned up fairly high.
[/quote]

Mine's not doing that! When you say the "icon", presumably you mean the "CMP" text in the slot box? I've tried this with both the Compressore and the RSS Compressor and nothing is happening!

Volume. Mojoke, I also spotted you in the 'multiamp user forum' I'm sure you saw this topic.

Seeing as the master can either be recalled or not recalled, as I understand, is the only way to balance levels between patches to use the gain control? It appears there is no 'level' control to speak of.. Something one would expect on a 'multichannel' amp in order to balance between patches. I assume you can only use the gain to balance then?? Hmm..

Any issue here?

Not a problem at all

You can change this in system settings so that volume stays the same when switching patches.

The more time I spend with this amp the more I'm impressed with it as an all in one solution that's as Simple or complex as I want it to be.

Edited by ryancowell25

[quote name='ryancowell25' timestamp='1442675006' post='2868705']
Not a problem at all

You can change this in system settings so that volume stays the same when switching patches.

The more time I spend with this amp the more I'm impressed with it as an all in one solution that's as Simple or complex as I want it to be.
[/quote]

What he said!

I've been a bit preoccupied with a pickup issue on my JO5 (turns out the neck pickup had died. In 39 years of playing I have never experienced this! Lakland have been absolutely brilliant in getting me working. I can't say the same for the US Postal service!) to get around to playing some more. I am hoping to spend some time today trying to get the MIDI setup the way i want it, then I'll post an update on my thoughts!

• 2 weeks later...

Have recently acquired a multiamp and pretty impressed with it, although can't seem to utilise the "Remote Control" software as PC will not recognise that the multiamp is connected. I think I read somewhere that the USB port on the earlier DV Mark Multiamps models is disabled and that one of the jumper settings on the board has to be changed in order to enable it. Has anyone else come across this issue?

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1444036591' post='2879556']
Yup, i had exactly this with mine at first. Its a very simple fix, but you'll need a jumper as its not "moving" but "adding" one. I'll post you a link in an hour or so when I get home...
[/quote]

Ok thanks MoJoKe.

Here Ya Go! The jumper needed is a standard 2.54mm one, they sell them in Maplins if you haven't got one knocking about.

[attachment=202063:ACTIVATION OF MULTIAMP USB PORT.PDF]

(Download this and change the file type to .PDF I don't know why BC changes things to .ipb, but it always seems to for me!!)

As said it is really easy, and does not invalidate the warranty unless you're really clumsy and bash something when you've got it open!

Edited by MoJoKe

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1444042437' post='2879639']
Here Ya Go! The jumper needed is a standard 2.54mm one, they sell them in Maplins if you haven't got one knocking about.

[attachment=202063:ACTIVATION OF MULTIAMP USB PORT.PDF]

(Download this and change the file type to .PDF I don't know why BC changes things to .ipb, but it always seems to for me!!)

As said it is really easy, and does not invalidate the warranty unless you're really clumsy and bash something when you've got it open!
[/quote]

Many thanks, much appreciated. Just need to decide what controller pedal to go with now; Softstep looks tempting as it would be useful for other applications too, but I wonder how well it works with the Multiamp.

[quote name='tuss' timestamp='1444056000' post='2879876']
Just need to decide what controller pedal to go with now; Softstep looks tempting as it would be useful for other applications too, but I wonder how well it works with the Multiamp.
[/quote]

OK, so the MB pedal is about £200. I spent all Saturday playing with one at the Mansons Guitar Show in Exeter (I do demonstrations/shows with MSL, but freelance, I don't work for them). Its a very competent pedal and plays extremely nicely with the Multiamp (as you would expect!), and has a couple of modes of operation, which are quite neat. You can use pedals 4&8 to scroll through patches leaving six of the others for CC# for the effects, or you can use 4&8 as bank change and have six pedals with one per patch, at any time you can press/hold pedal 1 and toggle between this setting and accessing the effects. You can always access Tap and Tune by press//hold a couple of keys. It's also powered by the Multiamp, so no separate PSU. Thats it... very simple and very effective. Sadly the Tuner is NOT replicated on the pedal display...

The Softstep is £225 ish (also distributed by MSL) with the required Midi box. This is what I use (The original reason for this is because I play in a trio with no sound guy and the Behringer X32 desk stays on stage, so I have set up a scene on the softstep to toggle effects, adjust the Vocal DCA group level, mute channels where required and a bunch of other stuff! As you say, the Softstep does a WHOLE lot more. We are currently setting it up to send Midi to DMX so that when I hit the "Mute Reverb" button between songs, it also toggles between two lighting scenes... not quite there yet, but as the Softstep can send up to 6 different MIDI commands on different channels simultaneously I know it can do it!)

For the Multiamp, because I have other projects and also dep quite a bit, I have created three scenes (you simply use the main X Nav keys to toggle between scenes). The Middle scene is all my FX, Tap & Tuner. To the Left of this scene are my main 10 Fretted Bass sounds, each with their own set of effects (which are toggled from the FX scene), and to the Right of the FX scene are my main 10 Fretless Bass sounds (required as my fretless is passive, so the pad settings are different). So, if I swap to fretted bass, I simply toggle between scenes 1&2 and if fretless then I toggle between scenes 2&3. Does that make sense?

There are two very slight hassles about using Softstep. 1. It won't work out of the box, you need to know a bit about MIDI (I didn't before I bought mine so I had a bit of a learning curve to do, but I mastered it in a week or so), and 2. that (like quite a few other manufacturers!) Markbass does not support "MIDI Running Status", but don't get hung up about this, a quick email to KMI, and they will send you the correct firmware. Get these two sorted and you will never regret making this decision! Also their support team are REALLY GOOD, and are used to answering schoolboy type questions without making you feel like an ignorant arse!

There is a cheaper third option, the Behringer FCB1010, which gets a lot of love, but I have no experience of these. It as a volume pedal as standard which might be quite useful, but you can plug a pedal into both the above.

One really neat feature of the new V3 firmware is that you can now assign CC# to specific effects rather than slots as before. The really brilliant advantage of this is that you can assign the same CC# to multiple effects, so for example, all modulations - the same pedal on your board will control the MB CH/FL, the Ninethy Phase and the Chorus. Similarly you could assign all delay/reverbs to one switch. This means that, irrespective if what functions you have loaded in the slots in each of your patches, the effects buttons will always toggle the same modulations, delays, compressors, synth/filters, etc...

Hope thats helpful!

Edited by MoJoKe

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1444069101' post='2880059']
OK, so the MB pedal is about £200. I spent all Saturday playing with one at the Mansons Guitar Show in Exeter (I do demonstrations/shows with MSL, but freelance, I don't work for them). Its a very competent pedal and plays extremely nicely with the Multiamp (as you would expect!), and has a couple of modes of operation, which are quite neat. You can use pedals 4&8 to scroll through patches leaving six of the others for CC# for the effects, or you can use 4&8 as bank change and have six pedals with one per patch, at any time you can press/hold pedal 1 and toggle between this setting and accessing the effects. You can always access Tap and Tune by press//hold a couple of keys. It's also powered by the Multiamp, so no separate PSU. Thats it... very simple and very effective. Sadly the Tuner is NOT replicated on the pedal display...

The Softstep is £225 ish (also distributed by MSL) with the required Midi box. This is what I use (The original reason for this is because I play in a trio with no sound guy and the Behringer X32 desk stays on stage, so I have set up a scene on the softstep to toggle effects, adjust the Vocal DCA group level, mute channels where required and a bunch of other stuff! As you say, the Softstep does a WHOLE lot more. We are currently setting it up to send Midi to DMX so that when I hit the "Mute Reverb" button between songs, it also toggles between two lighting scenes... not quite there yet, but as the Softstep can send up to 6 different MIDI commands on different channels simultaneously I know it can do it!)

For the Multiamp, because I have other projects and also dep quite a bit, I have created three scenes (you simply use the main X Nav keys to toggle between scenes). The Middle scene is all my FX, Tap & Tuner. To the Left of this scene are my main 10 Fretted Bass sounds, each with their own set of effects (which are toggled from the FX scene), and to the Right of the FX scene are my main 10 Fretless Bass sounds (required as my fretless is passive, so the pad settings are different). So, if I swap to fretted bass, I simply toggle between scenes 1&2 and if fretless then I toggle between scenes 2&3. Does that make sense?

There are two very slight hassles about using Softstep. 1. It won't work out of the box, you need to know a bit about MIDI (I didn't before I bought mine so I had a bit of a learning curve to do, but I mastered it in a week or so), and 2. that (like quite a few other manufacturers!) Markbass does not support "MIDI Running Status", but don't get hung up about this, a quick email to KMI, and they will send you the correct firmware. Get these two sorted and you will never regret making this decision! Also their support team are REALLY GOOD, and are used to answering schoolboy type questions without making you feel like an ignorant arse!

There is a cheaper third option, the Behringer FCB1010, which gets a lot of love, but I have no experience of these. It as a volume pedal as standard which might be quite useful, but you can plug a pedal into both the above.

One really neat feature of the new V3 firmware is that you can now assign CC# to specific effects rather than slots as before. The really brilliant advantage of this is that you can assign the same CC# to multiple effects, so for example, all modulations - the same pedal on your board will control the MB CH/FL, the Ninethy Phase and the Chorus. Similarly you could assign all delay/reverbs to one switch. This means that, irrespective if what functions you have loaded in the slots in each of your patches, the effects buttons will always toggle the same modulations, delays, compressors, synth/filters, etc...

Hope thats helpful!
[/quote]

That's most helpful, thanks very much for all the information, think that's made my mind up to go with the softstep. I managed to fit a jumper to the multiamp last night and the remote control software works a treat and so much quicker to use. I managed to set all my patches up in a matter of minutes, so hopefully won't be too long before I start using the amp live now.

I'd been tempted to purchase a Multiamp ever since they came out, it being a 2 rack unit all in one solution to my requirements, but held off as I'd never had the chance to hear or try one out, and it seemed there wasn't a great deal of info out there or many reviews. Have been following this post for awhile with interest, and then a multiamp came up for sale locally and after trying it I was sold. Certainly very happy with it so far and think it should cure my amp GAS for quite some time. Looking forward to a patch sharing site. And once again thanks for the info Mojoke.

[quote name='gillento' timestamp='1444288928' post='2881813']
.. why the original MarkBass pedal still needs a separate 9V line...[/quote]

The Markbass midi pedal DOES take its power from the MultiAmp. I think it also has a 9v connection, but this is possibly because it is a third party product...

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1444290686' post='2881839']
The Markbass midi pedal DOES take its power from the MultiAmp. I think it also has a 9v connection, but this is possibly because it is a third party product...
[/quote]

So I stand corrected ! Sorry

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1444069101' post='2880059']

Hope thats helpful!
[/quote]

As a result of your recommendation I've managed to source a softstep Mk1 with midi expander for a reasonable price, so hopefully will be able to get to grips with setting it all up (I'm a bit of a midiphobe!!). Like the idea of having 3 scenes, I can imagine that would work for me in that I use active and passive basses and being able to toggle fx on/off would be handy and pretty much the only functionality I'd need. Cheers for your insight anyway. No doubt I'll be getting in touch with KMI to obtain correct firmware now.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm slow getting back, but thanks for replies! It seems markbass saw this volume control situation was sort of an issue and have addressed that with the new '2015' model. Has anyone seen these for sale? I was about to jump for an open box stereo model, but then markbass released the new version.. Now I'm impatiently waiting for them to be available.. Anybody have a hunch when I might be able to get my hands on one..?