Why become a member? ×

New Markbass Multiamp

discreet

Interestingly I spent the weekend doing the FOH sound for a Festival this weekend, and we used my new MA rig as the amp for 13 of the 14 bands. We had a huge variety of bands, from metal to dub/skank/reggae and a queen tribute, so it was great to be able to hear the variety of sounds it produced from the audience perspective; they were all really effective, from clean punchy Trace Elliot and GK sounds to my fave which was the dub/reggae band... The guy was playing a precision, so we set it up as a TTE, dialled in loads of colour, and I pumped up the bass in the PA - it sent tangible physical waves of bass through the audience*... bloody lovely! The bassist in "Decoy Jet" also used his hollow body Fender through the TTE, and it sounded very like the punchy warm sound the guy in "The Strypes" has. Irrespective of the chosen setup, the MA delivered rich quality throughout.

The only duff bass sound we had for any of the bands was one guy who insisted he couldn't use it, as he preferred the sound of his Orange 4x10 rig... it just sounded muddy... Sorry if you're on BC and you're reading this, but we really did try our best to get you a great sound... :unsure:

* admittedly we were pushing about 10k of bass through 12 x 18" tuned subs, so that helped quite a lot!

Edited by MoJoKe

Looks like theres no display for the tuner; I was hoping this would be incorporated in to the MIDI pedal. The tuner on the Multiamp is good, but not much use when its behind me. Looks like I'll be sticking to a pedal tuner. A little disappointed.

[quote name='Lee-Man' timestamp='1431335286' post='2770013']
Looks like theres no display for the tuner; I was hoping this would be incorporated in to the MIDI pedal. The tuner on the Multiamp is good, but not much use when its behind me. Looks like I'll be sticking to a pedal tuner. A little disappointed.
[/quote]

Yup, I'm not going to go for the MB MIDI Pedal but stick with my SoftStep, as it offers so much more than on/off switches, and the lack of tuner on it is a spoiler too. I now have my Korg PitchBlack and G30 receiver on a tiny pedalboard, which sits next to my SoftStep... I can't be doing with turning my back on the audience when I need to tune!

Could really do with the V3 sofware now!!

Edited by MoJoKe

[quote name='pfonck334' timestamp='1431344571' post='2770154']
From what I read with their pdf manual at their website, it does have tuner access on the pedal
[/quote]

Yes, you can access it, but you would still need to look at the screen on the Multiamp to see what your doing. A screen/read out on the pedal would have been useful. It doesn't look like you can monitor your tuning from the pedal its self. A video demo of the pedal would be good. Potentially there are other very similar products to control the MIDI functions already in the market place. A pedal that can take centre stage (so to speak) and control + monitor all functions of the Multiamp would be great.

[quote name='Lee-Man' timestamp='1431346686' post='2770188']
Yes, you can access it, but you would still need to look at the screen on the Multiamp to see what your doing. A screen/read out on the pedal would have been useful. It doesn't look like you can monitor your tuning from the pedal its self. A video demo of the pedal would be good. Potentially there are other very similar products to control the MIDI functions already in the market place. A pedal that can take centre stage (so to speak) and control + monitor all functions of the Multiamp would be great.
[/quote]

Here are a couple of videos from the DVMark site. The functionality will be pretty much identical for the Bass Multiamp:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3USVGyYcISY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwQ11A-DJ7w

[quote name='samuel' timestamp='1431956019' post='2776541']
How have you guys found the compressor on the multiamp?
[/quote]

The compressor is modelled on the MarkBass Compressore, which is a brilliant compressor. I used to have one. If I have time I will upload a screenshot of the control options for ya...

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1431965350' post='2776689']

The compressor is modelled on the MarkBass Compressore, which is a brilliant compressor. I used to have one. If I have time I will upload a screenshot of the control options for ya...
[/quote]

I tried the compressor on the shop's one tonight and it sounded great. Simple to drop into any of the amp modes and very 'musical'. I didn't fiddle around with any of the variable parameters. Just ran it as it came and thought it didn't really need tweaking :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1432481834' post='2781865']
I wonder if they've thought of a stripped down micro head version, like a LM3 with a tuner, distosore and compressore integrated. I would definitely buy that!
[/quote]

They did launch a new little micro amp at Frankfurt, but don't think it has any built in effects though....

Just checked, no effects. Pretty impressive though. Its called the Nano Mark 300 and is only 20cm wide!

Edited by MoJoKe

That looks cool, won't be long before we can carry amps to a gig in a jacket pocket!

Would love it if they made something with just the Compressore and a tuner in though, could probably ditch my pedals then. It's about time the LM amps had an overhaul and other micro heads have compressors built in, seems logical as they have a nice compressor in their product line they could integrate.

Yesterday, I sent a message to MB asking if they were thinking about a 1U rack multieffect with all the effects they put in the multiamp. They answered in was not on their plans but will be considered if they receive a lot of requests like mine.
Personnally, I woul love to havesuch a 1U unit from markbass

[quote name='pfonck334' timestamp='1432567175' post='2782730']
Yesterday, I sent a message to MB asking if they were thinking about a 1U rack multieffect with all the effects they put in the multiamp. They answered in was not on their plans but will be considered if they receive a lot of requests like mine.
Personnally, I woul love to havesuch a 1U unit from markbass
[/quote]

It would be cool , but I wonder how much it would cost compared to the multi amp

The multi amp is a 2u sized unit , which means it has a decent sized screen to edit on, I think I'd struggle without it being that size

This amp really is the business , I'm playing highly compressed clean bass through what sounds like a trace Elliot , then at the touch of a button I'm driving an SVT and sounding dirty, and that's only touching on what's availible

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Modman' timestamp='1432573202' post='2782840']
I don't "need" it yet
[/quote]

Yeah, I think really needing one of these things could only be claimed by a few , but I kept desiring different effects and settings for a very varied set, and this does that. My thinking was , I don't play golf and I'm not into cars.

[quote name='Modman' timestamp='1432573202' post='2782840']
I don't "need" it yet but I reckon once the function band gets really busy it'll definitely be worth investing in one.
[/quote]

Lets face it, how many of us here really "need" any of the expensive boutique gear (how many brands/versions of bass dedicated distortion pedals can you buy now? Thankfully thats a journey I have never embarked on!) that we often GAS for or use? I don't really think "this" is about need or desire, its about simplification, in the same way that Lemmywinks suggested - its a simple, one box, rack mounted solution.

And, in answer to Lemmywinks and Pfonck334's comments I think the main reason that the Bass MultiAmp is in its current form is that it is a solution which, with a different paintjob and software provides a single solution which addresses the desires of both us and our guitarist friends.

I also don't "need" the multiamp, and would also have been all over a MB amp with built in compressore, distorsore and tuner. but then, thinking about it, I also occasionally use delay. oh, and chorus. ... and sometimes some octave.... and its useful to have a couple of other different amp models... circle closed.

Also, the LMIII retails for around £395, an MB7 distorsore £210, a compressore £140, and along with the a Chorus/Flanger was about £250, you all of a sudden can afford a Multiamp... and look at all the other goodies you get with that...

Yeah but it's too big though, I want everything in a LM3 box!

Seriously a LM3 with an expanded feature set (compression and tuner would suffice) would be a welcome addition for most people IMO. I've been thinking of moving away from MB heads recently and looking at the Streamliner or Bugera Veyron purely because of the compression.

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1432636136' post='2783367']
Yeah but it's too big though, I want everything in a LM3 box!
[/quote]

To a degree I do actually agree with you! In addition to the NanoMark 300 they have also launched a new Little Mark "Ninja" range, bright green with 1000w head and cabs, when in fact they perhaps could have launched an "LM4" with the features discussed. However, they are in the business of selling stuff, and this would most definitely dent multiamp sales, a product which is already in production, and they would need to review whether this was worse than losing potential LM3 sales to other manufacturers because the product is missing built in compression...