Why become a member? ×

New Markbass Multiamp

discreet

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1429028118' post='2747193']
I would really like to hear it through BF cabs too. Anyone in Devon got something I can borrow for a couple of hours, or come and have a play yourself?[/quote]

http://barefacedbass.com/barefaced-map.htm

However, I think our customers are scared of bass stalkers, hardly any have signed up to the map...

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1429035298' post='2747269']
Damn this thing could replace my entire rig. Thank God I'm skint!
[/quote]

This, especially when it comes to using in-ears or when recording. I am very interested in pairing with the likes of the Barefaced Big Twin 2.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1429035298' post='2747269']
Damn this thing could replace my entire rig. Thank God I'm skint!
[/quote]
:D
[quote name='dood' timestamp='1429035994' post='2747281']
This, especially when it comes to using in-ears or when recording. I am very interested in pairing with the likes of the Barefaced Big Twin 2.
[/quote]
:D :D

This amp is not going back, I've now got it in a rack case for safety.

Played through our set last night and it's incredible , literally changing amps, multiple effects and Eqs at the touch of a button with the user presets.

Will add to the review soon as I gain more experience with it's functionality.

[quote name='markorbit' timestamp='1429546556' post='2752474']
I think there is a V3 software update on it's way before too long. Did they announce anything at Musikmesse?
[/quote]

No idea what version my is running, but Ive decided not to plug it into the PC until after this weekends gig , when I have some time to bugger around if things don't sync well.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1429806618' post='2755197']
No idea what version my is running, but Ive decided not to plug it into the PC until after this weekends gig , when I have some time to bugger around if things don't sync well.
[/quote]

Always a sensible plan, though is almost certainly running V2, as it will have been supplied through MSL, and they check the firmware and upgrade if required on all Multiamps shipped. The upgrade is done using the SD rather than connecting to the PC, but if you've sourced a USB A to A plug cable (Maplin stock them), then its worth downloading and having a play with the remote control software, as it is even easier to create patches...

I've not spoken to the guys from MSL since Musikmesse, but hopefully will tomorrow. I'll update if any news!

Edited by MoJoKe

OK, so I've just had a discussion about updates in V3 will principally be for better MIDI implementation, but there will also be a raft of new effects and functions (including a change to the "Save" function, where it currently requires you to re-enter the patch name, which was very frustrating!). It's due out "imminently" so by the end of the week I hope, as May is going to be a busy one for me, and I would like to go into the month with it all up to date with the latest release, and my MIDI control working perfectly!!

First person to spot on the the MB website, please post here, so we can all get it ASAP!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1430211842' post='2758875']
At this rate I'm gonna need a couple of grand to cover the cost of the purchases I need in my life right now! This is just one such item ha!
[/quote]

Do-it-do-it-do-it!!

On another note, I am lending my rig as backline (I am helping stage manage and with sound so I will be with it all weekend!) for the [url="http://honitonfestival.org/"]Sausage and Cider Festival[/url] in Honiton this Friday/Saturday. Its all in aid of the Devon Freewheelers (the charity who provide the Blood Bikes). It involves Cider, Sausages, Live music and the opportunity to hear the Multiamp in action. I'l be in heaven! Whats not to love! Come and find me if you are able to get there....

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1430215461' post='2758947']
I've sold my grannies, kidneys, arm and leg - not sure what's left!!
[/quote]

Do you mean you've sold your grannie's kidney, arm and leg, or that you've sold both your grannies as well as some assorted component parts?

The new firmware for the guitar multiamp (V4) is now available for download on the DVMark site, and the bass version (V3) is due very shortly on the Markbass site. The guitar version has two new amp models and eight new effects (which hopefully suggests similar progress on the bass version!), and some considerable changes on the MIDI integration. This will almost certainly be the same as the guitar version as it has been implemented for the new footswitch (which is tiny, by the way!), the most relevant (I think!) is that each effect will have its on CC# which means that if, for example, you put a delay in different slots in the signal chain in different patches you can toggle that effect in all patches from the same footswitch... very sensible! The full implementation i:-

[size=2][b]MIDI ADDRESS[/b]
It allows to select the MIDI channel that the Multiamp is to receive MIDI commands from a MIDI Pedalboard/Controller
- Check the MIDI channel # (1~16) set on the pedalboard, then go to the MIDI ADDRESS menu and press ENTER, choose the MIDI ADDRESS # (0~15) of the Multiamp scrolling the UP/DOWN buttons (MIDI address “0” is MIDI Ch 1, MIDI address “1” is MIDI Ch 2, and so on) and press ENTER.
Note that the Multiamp MIDI Pedalboard MIDI channels are named 0~15 as for the Multiamp MIDI address, so in case you have it you’d choose the same number on both units.

[b]PRESET/PATCH MAP[/b]
This function allows you to map MIDI program numbers to specific presets of the Multiamp.
- The number on the left of the display is the PATCH number sent via a MIDI Pedalboard/Controller (MIDI program number). Use the UP/DOWN buttons to select the number to be mapped to a preset;
- The number on the right of the display is the PRESET number to map, that will be recalled when the MIDI program number on the left is sent. Use the VALUE control to select the preset number to map to;
- Press ENTER to save the MAP.

[b]CONTROL CHANGE MAP (new improvement)[/b]
With Firmware Update V 4.0 this function now allows you to select ON/OFF of EFFECTs (instead of SLOTs as at the previous version) assigned to specific Control Change of the programmable MIDI Pedalboard/Controller.
- Use the VALUE control to select the effect to map to a specific control change number;
- Use the UP/DOWN buttons to select the control change number (from 0 to 127) to be mapped to the selected effect
- Repeat the above procedure for other effects you like to assign to a specific control change numbers, note that you can assign same C/C# to more effects may you like to turn they ON/OFF simultaneously sending that C/C# prom the MIDI pedalboard.
- Press ENTER to save the MAP.

[b]TAP TEMPO[/b]
By holding the RECALL button for few seconds (on the MULTIAMP’s front panel) you will have access to the TAP TEMPO function, for preset/s that include a DELAY effect.
You can set the desired tempo by pushing multiple times the ENTER button; the led will show the selected tempo speed.
- This function is available also via MIDI, it can be activated sending a MIDI Note ON command, parameter note = 60, velocity > 0
from a programmable MIDI pedalboard/controller.
On the Multiamp MIDI Pedalboard the TAP TEMPO function is assigned by default to switch #3, you have just to hold that switch for few seconds to have instant access to the TAP TEMPO.

[b]VOLUME PEDAL[/b]
VOLUME PEDAL function is assigned to Control Change # 27.
- Using a Programmable MIDI Pedalboard with Volume Pedal, set its function on Control Change # 27.
- Choose the SLOT of the preset where you want to assign the VOLUME PEDAL, press SLOT SELECT and use the UP/DOWN buttons to select the VOLUME PEDAL, press ENTER and select the PEDAL and RANGE parameters as you like, then STORE the preset.
The Multiamp MIDI Pedalboard features a Expression Pedal input, assigned by default to CC# 27.

[b]TUNER access via MIDI[/b]
TUNER function is assigned to Control Change # 28.
- Using a Programmable MIDI Pedalboard, set the Control Change # 28 to have access to the TUNER function.
On the Multiamp MIDI Pedalboard the Tuner function (CC #28) is assigned by default to switch #2, you have just to hold that switch for few seconds to have instant access to the TUNER on the Multiamp.[/size]

The only tweak id like to see so far is the mute/tuner button over riding all . It doesn't work if your just in user preset menu mode , you have to be displaying the patch settings . This is a shame as during a gig I only need to be in user menu mode and scroll up and down for each preset

Yes, I agree that is annoying, but I suspect they would argue that in the preset menu you are not in the "home" screen. Funnily enough I still haven't ditched using my trusty Pitchblack Tuner. I just posted a pic of my rig on the review post, and you'll see it there, mounted on my baby pedalboard, which just has this, and my L6 G30 wireless.

I am thinking of mounting my MA in a 4u case, so that I can rack mount my in-ear and instrument wireless gear and ditch the pedals completely, except for my MIDI pedal... a true one box solution!

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1430247853' post='2759537']
The only tweak id like to see so far is the mute/tuner button over riding all . It doesn't work if your just in user preset menu mode , you have to be displaying the patch settings . This is a shame as during a gig I only need to be in user menu mode and scroll up and down for each preset
[/quote]

Also, you'll be investing in a MIDI pedal in no time so you can patch change with your feet, I feel sure... :D

I've invested in a rackcase, it just seems to expensive to carry around like and sit on top of the cabs like I did my little mark.

I've got a 3u so I hope one day to get a rack wireless over my g30

Re the controller , I was very comfortable just using the presets on the amps and tuner , but I guess that's ok for different sounds for different songs only over changing during songs

In many ways this amp is over kill , but I am throughouly enjoying the effects

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1430285684' post='2759753']
In many ways this amp is over kill , but I am throughouly enjoying the effects
[/quote]

Though I would ask, how many of our bass acquisitions are [i][b]not[/b][/i] overkill? hehe!

A pedal will be essential when you need to turn an effect on and off during a song... the time [i]will[/i] come! At around £200ish the MB one looks pricy, this would also probably do the job nicely, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Behringer-FCB1010-/181726263974?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4fbabaa6, but nothing can beat the Softstep IMHO, and it looks great on stage with all its backlights on!

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1430298852' post='2759905']
Though I would ask, how many of our bass acquisitions are [i][b]not[/b][/i] overkill? hehe!
[/quote]

True, theres a thread on the best bass to cover all covers, personally I think with this amp, it doesn't matter which bass you have, unless your running clean markbass amps only.

Edited by lojo

[quote name='MyNameIsJeff' timestamp='1430739838' post='2764129']
With the softstep as a controller, does it only allow patch changes or can you use it to change the filters, like a expression pedal? (If that make sense)
[/quote]

We are still waiting for the new V3 software (this week hopefully!) to see what that adds, but at the moment it seems to be limited to patch change and turning slots on and off. In the guitar version I know they have added the ability to assign specific switches to an "effect" rather than a "slot", which is intelligent because it means that if you use say, distortion, in several patches but have them in different positions in the signal chain, you can keep the effect on the same pedal wherever it is in the chain.

It is currently possible to assign a volume pedal, and I would also like to see it have the ability to add expression to effects...