Why become a member? ×

New Markbass Multiamp

discreet

[quote name='gillento' timestamp='1381603892' post='2241346']
Here are some sound clips: [url="http://www.markbass.it/Bass%20Multiamp%20presets%20by%20Cesare%20Chiodo?&preview=2b271554ccf51754a785098bb0950f9c"]http://www.markbass....785098bb0950f9c[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for those. Inspired me to come up with a few ideas... :)

• 1 year later...

OK, so this is an old thread but as good a place for an update as anywhere!

I now have my new rig, which, after lots of playing around comprises:-

MultiAmp Mono
Traveller 121h
Traveller 151p

With the new firmware, the MultiAmp is simply sensational. Soooo many sounds, and the quality is absolutely incredible. The interface is very straightforward once you get used to it, and the MIDI implementation is now really good, I can change patches and add effects with my Keith McMillan Softstep.

I had originally intended to have 2 x 151p's but as I had the opportunity to play with a few different combinations, I think this is the most flexible setup, as I have never got on with 10" speakers, and the 12 gives a lovely balance of tight and warm but the horn fills in the higher frequencies nicely. It will allow me to choose a single cab setup if less power needed and a couple of different voicings.

I did my first gig with it on Thursday, but I have to say I was not really in the mood to be too bothered about anything very much, as I found out just minutes before going on that my beloved Patterdale Terrier Alfie had died during surgery. He was only 5, it was a horrible and totally unexpected shock, I am still in bits.

When I have some time this week I shall spend some positive, distracting time having a good play around and setting up some user presets. I am also happy to do a proper review if anyone is interested?

It has every single MB built in (along with all the other "usual suspects"!) , and the "flat" LM3 patch is indistinguishable from an LM3, with all the same control. I am particularly enjoying the TTE500.

I'll do a fuller review later in the week, and anyone in the Devon area (I'm near Honiton) is most welcome to come and have a play if interested...

I took one home to try at the weekend and there are some seriously good sounds in there.

Very simple amp choice, based on an SWR I think, with compressor just sounded very nice straight out of the box.

There was cracking preset in there that gave a great O Jays 'For the Love of Money' tone.

Needs some work to build personal presets but that's because of the huge level of control over each effect. I could imagine this working really well for a functions band player who needs a lot of really solid core tones to cover multiple genres at a live gig.

The details online are pretty sparse. I'd love to know what effects are actually on board the Multiamp. I think for the in-ear user this could be a really nice piece of gear.

One box does it all??

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1427884363' post='2735356']
The details online are pretty sparse. I'd love to know what effects are actually on board the Multiamp. I think for the in-ear user this could be a really nice piece of gear.

One box does it all??
[/quote]

OK, so the amps are:-

Big Bang
LM3
T-Green90
RB7Hundred
TTE500
Blue '70
Red '96
TWval115
Bassfass '59 (US)
UK120
JMayor
Sunny US

Effects:-

B-Tubemarker
B-Drive 21
T-Chorus
MB Chorus/Flanger
Ninethy Phase
Reverb
Delay
Volume Pedal
Noise Suppressor
Send/Return
Parametric EQ
MW Octaver
Super Synth
Compressore
Envelope Filter
Pitch Shift

I really do think that for the majority of us, one box [i]does[/i] do it all, and if not quite all, then the ability to have send/return to add the missing bits. I'm told there is a very active ongoing development plan in progress, and new features will keep emerging. As will a fuller review from me, hopefully on Monday!

Hey Kevin!

Thanks so much for the detailed response. Yeah, I think this looks like a really interesting proposition indeed. I am very interested in giving the S version a whirl as it seems that the kit that I have used up until now could well become redundant (with the exception of the odd pedal I'd want to hang on to of course!)

One other question - can the Cab Sims be turned off so that the amp is left in the signal path?

update: I've just spotted in the manual that the Cab Sim is treated as a block on it's own in the signal path which is a really good idea. Therefore, I've answered my own question. It can be bypassed. ACE

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1427669511' post='2732959']
I auditioned one of these at the LBG Show and am now kicking myself for not pulled the trigger. The show price was only £ 700 but I walked away.
[/quote]

Who was doing this deal mark bass or a dealer?

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1428222601' post='2739161']
Who was doing this deal mark bass or a dealer?
[/quote]

The deal was put together between MSL, the UK distributor, and the dealers who were at the show, at a price of £749

Edited by MoJoKe

Thanks, wonder where all the amps are that didn't sell, no stock at any of the stores I'd go to. Bass direct, Andertons etc

Seriously considering one of these, as I'm going to sell my pedals and go for a multi effects unit. So I could tie this in with upgrading my mark bass head

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1428223867' post='2739180']
Thanks, wonder where all the amps are that didn't sell, no stock at any of the stores I'd go to...
[/quote]

Thats because they all sold! I think I had the last one and believe MSL are currently waiting for delivery of new UK stock.

I am just about to post my review, so hope that helps your decision!

Edited by MoJoKe

• 2 weeks later...

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ive been playing around with the amp over the weekend and used it in a session on sunday to great effect, along with some basic valve amp emulation and some subtle grit for a basic sound I also did the following (though it took a few hours of tweaking to get them)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Synth - managed to get it tracking well enough to play some 8th notes lines, it sounded good with the band. Just need to make sure your left hand emulates the "off" between each note, at least for the sounds I wanted.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Octave - needed an almost percussive synth type sound, again for 8th notes, a subtle octave and killing the character of the bass worked really well[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Chorus - for fretless type sounds, again this was really impressive[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Only had a few hours on it , so if I assume the sounds can be improved on then this is a really great piece of kit.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I could do a review , im not a pro, just a weekend functions player, but perhaps I could write a review after my first gig with it, if doing it from my level is going to be of any interest to anyone ? [/font][/color]

Edited by lojo

Absolutely you should definitely add your thoughts to the review thread. You don't need to be "a pro" (whatever that really means, other than its hopefully your main job!!) to have a valid opinion! I am not gigging much until May, when I get very busy, so have mostly been playing with mine in the studio to see what it can do, and get it set up for playing live, so am particularly interested to hear any thoughts about using it live.

My main struggle is getting the MIDI control set up, as I want to use my Softstep to control both the MA and my digital desk, but it's currently beyond me! I've got it happily doing stuff for each, but when [i]both[/i] plugged in, a program change on the MultiAmp is also making channel faders move on the desk... gah!

Regarding effects, the thing I have found about the MultiAmp is its subtlety, because the parameters of all the controls are so broad you can go from incredible monster over the top sounds to just subtle hints of effect, and the way you can layer the same effect in multiple slots with slightly different settings is fun to experiment with!

Edited by MoJoKe

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1429003047' post='2746795']
My main struggle is getting the MIDI control set up, as I want to use my Softstep to control both the MA and my digital desk, but it's currently beyond me! I've got it happily doing stuff for each, but when [i]both[/i] plugged in, a program change on the MultiAmp is also making channel faders move on the desk... gah!
[/quote]

GAK where recommending the softstep as a control, so someone somewhere must have info on using it effectively?

Ive decided to wait to see what the markbass one does and how much it is, as I can live with a different user preset for each song, which is easy to change, only issue is to get volume levels in each sound fairly correct.

Its certainly a lot of fun, but there is a serious lack of information around.

This thread and Kevin's review are making my wallet hide in the corner. Right now I'm after a new bass, cabinet and one of these to make my life a whole lot easier. Gonna need a small lottery win though! I look forward to seeing more reviews!

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1429007760' post='2746871']
GAK where recommending the softstep as a control, so someone somewhere must have info on using it effectively?

Ive decided to wait to see what the markbass one does and how much it is, as I can live with a different user preset for each song, which is easy to change, only issue is to get volume levels in each sound fairly correct.

Its certainly a lot of fun, but there is a serious lack of information around.
[/quote]

I think that GAK are correct. with the MB one, if you want volume, you'll need a second pedal, where the SoftStep will do it all in one, and hopefully a whole lot more, as the buttons on a Softstep are dynamic and multifunctional, rather than just simply on/off switches. My challenge is not getting it working, its doing that fine, but the issue is my limited (but thankfully growing!) understanding of MIDI to be honest!

I think [i]you[/i] are correct with the lack of info! in the absence of manufacturer data lets try and build that here!

I was impressed with the tones this could achieve when I tried one. The potential complexity will probably scare a lot of bassists off but it's friendlier than it looks - and once configured you can treat it just like a normal amp. We were using it through a Big Baby 2 and you could hear all the minutiae of the sonic details of everything it was modelling - the dynamic response was great, it felt pretty good as well as sounding good.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1429014114' post='2746998']
I was impressed with the tones this could achieve when I tried one. The potential complexity will probably scare a lot of bassists off but it's friendlier than it looks - and once configured you can treat it just like a normal amp. We were using it through a Big Baby 2 and you could hear all the minutiae of the sonic details of everything it was modelling - the dynamic response was great, it felt pretty good as well as sounding good.
[/quote]

I would really like to hear it through BF cabs too. Anyone in Devon got something I can borrow for a couple of hours, or come and have a play yourself?

Although lots swear by them, seeing how often they move around our community here (I moderate in the "effects for sale" marketplace so I know these things!), I suspect the bass world has probably never really got on with traditional multi-effects and amp modelling from the likes of Zoom, Boss, Line 6. This is definitely NOT one of those. This IS a Markbass amp (well, all of them actually!), which does amp modelling and effects too, and is in a completely different league. Several have mentioned the potential complexity before but, as Alex says, it really is much friendlier than it looks if you spend a couple of minutes with it. If all you want it to be for tonight's gig is an LMIII head, then it really [i]is[/i] as easy to use as an LMIII, with all the same controllability, and nearly all of it in exactly the same place you would expect to find it ...and if you spend a little bit more time with it, you can create monster tones or incredible shimmering subtlety. All from a single 2u rack mounted box.