Why become a member? ×

Mike Dirnt Squier P-bass, anyone?

mcnach

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1358687306' post='1943275']
I hadn't realised the Squier did not have the Badass. There's mixed opinions about these anyway, I doubt it makes a huge difference anyway.
[/quote]

I'm not a fan of the Badass anyway. I find them unsightly and clunky and the standard bridges work for me.

I bought a japanese 75RI Fender Jazz that was "upgraded" with a badass bridge. I wish it had the original.

When a bass does not feel or sound the way you'd like... I can think of many thinks I'd change before I look into changing the bridge.

I think the Badass is aesthetically un-pleasing When I changed the original bridge on my TBird for a Hipshot it really did make a difference but the Hipshot is full contact. The ordinary Fender is full contact anyway, so I think any gain is down to the beholder.

Edited by Billy Apple

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1358708804' post='1943810']
Looks great. Can I call "dibs" if you sell it? :gas:
[/quote]

You can indeed :) But it's unlikely to go anywhere anytime soon :P

Are you in Edinburgh at all this week? Andrew (aka 'apa') is visiting (coming to a Sea Bass Kid gig on the 24th too ;)) and we will be sharing a few beers and checking basses out etc... if you want to join?

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1358709055' post='1943818']
You can indeed :) But it's unlikely to go anywhere anytime soon :P

Are you in Edinburgh at all this week? Andrew (aka 'apa') is visiting (coming to a Sea Bass Kid gig on the 24th too ;)) and we will be sharing a few beers and checking basses out etc... if you want to join?
[/quote]

That would be fun, but I'm quite busy...when were you thinking?

I don't know what Andrew's plans are yet. He is arriving on Thursday, and my gig is on Thursday night, so that night is sure for beverages. Friday I'm busy, but Saturday is likely to incorporate some beer and bass. It depends on what he and his gf do regarding sightseeing etc.
I can keep you informed and if you can, great!
hmmm... and I would move further communication to PM, I suppose :lol:

I thought my ears where a bit warm :blink:

It would be cool to have a mini bash on Saturday sometime Uncle if you can make it :D

Jose thats a rather nice Daisy Duke bass you have there :P Im not a fan of the 50's style P's. Rather odd scratchplate and the headstock is too thin but now the plate is off it does look alot better. The star works though - do they come with that? Ill reserve further judgement until the wekend ;)

A

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='punkypuncher' timestamp='1360293538' post='1968265']
Just picked up a Mexican version for £150.
Used it today in rehearsal,superb loved it,fat STONKING sound,great feel,now part of the family.
Happy Chappy :-)
[/quote]

I hate you a little :P

[quote name='punkypuncher' timestamp='1360293538' post='1968265']
Just picked up a Mexican version for £150.
Used it today in rehearsal,superb loved it,fat STONKING sound,great feel,now part of the family.
Happy Chappy :-)
[/quote]

You got a Mexican Mike Dirnt? That will be the Fender one? If it is that is the deal of the year as they usually go for £400+

• 2 years later...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1358708804' post='1943810']
Looks great. Can I call "dibs" if you sell it? :gas:
[/quote]

Two years on... this bass is still with me, and it only got better.

Aside from a couple different pickguards I tried, which are merely cosmetic (a single ply white one, and a 3-ply mint green), the pickup was replaced earlier this year... the Entwistle neodymium job sounds great and it's cheap (I replaced the covers with white ones). Then, I replaced the neck. Nothing wrong with the original one... but I love maple, so when the opportunity to grab a glossy lacquered maple one came up, I did.

This is the bass now:

more here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/266600-kind-of-but-not-really-nbd-mike-dirnt-squier-precision/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/266600-kind-of-but-not-really-nbd-mike-dirnt-squier-precision/[/url]

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

So, I bought one of these recently, cost about £270 plus postage but I see they regularly go for anything up to like £500-600, which is MENTAL!

It IS a thing of beauty... BUT.... All the money is really in the 'signature' which isn't actually there 😂 and the unique style of it- the Tele headstock, the old pickguard config  and the split pickup etc. But if I'm being honest, it's a bit cheap feeling and sounding... Don't get me wrong, the neck feels great! It's really nice to play. But the body is quite lightweight (a bonus to some!) but the pickups sound pretty thin, and they actually somehow look a bit cheap and nasty too. I think I just feel like it's a cheaply made bass with a pretty big price-tag just cos of the Mike Dirnt association. 

In saying all of that, I'm treating it like a project bass... it's getting a paint job, a new bridge, new pickups, new pots, and I'm treating the light weight as a bonus for those longer gigs! But I think if you had £400 to £600 kicking about, I'd figure something else out. 

• Like 1

On 23/11/2021 at 12:38, GrouchoMark said:

So, I bought one of these recently, cost about £270 plus postage but I see they regularly go for anything up to like £500-600, which is MENTAL!

It IS a thing of beauty... BUT.... All the money is really in the 'signature' which isn't actually there 😂 and the unique style of it- the Tele headstock, the old pickguard config  and the split pickup etc. But if I'm being honest, it's a bit cheap feeling and sounding... Don't get me wrong, the neck feels great! It's really nice to play. But the body is quite lightweight (a bonus to some!) but the pickups sound pretty thin, and they actually somehow look a bit cheap and nasty too. I think I just feel like it's a cheaply made bass with a pretty big price-tag just cos of the Mike Dirnt association. 

In saying all of that, I'm treating it like a project bass... it's getting a paint job, a new bridge, new pickups, new pots, and I'm treating the light weight as a bonus for those longer gigs! But I think if you had £400 to £600 kicking about, I'd figure something else out. 

Post a photo

On 24/11/2021 at 20:29, gareth said:

I think he’s confusing the fender and squier mike Dirnt- two completely different basses

So, at the time of writing there were a couple of the Squiers listed at the £600 mark on Reverb but I don't see them now, but looking back the selling history it seems its been between £400-£500 recently, which I still think is steep for this bass. The soldering on it is criminal and the pots were covered glue, and like I say the body is very light. Other that the neck, this isn't a patch on even a Squier VM p bass. 

IMG_20211122_205025.jpg

IMG_20211122_155530.jpg

IMG_20211122_155439.jpg

IMG_20211104_171707.jpg

Screenshot_20211126_160012_com.android.chrome.jpg

On 23/11/2021 at 12:38, GrouchoMark said:

But if I'm being honest, it's a bit cheap feeling and sounding... Don't get me wrong, the neck feels great! It's really nice to play. But the body is quite lightweight (a bonus to some!) but the pickups sound pretty thin, and they actually somehow look a bit cheap and nasty too. I think I just feel like it's a cheaply made bass with a pretty big price-tag just cos of the Mike Dirnt association. 

I played a Squier when it was an in-life model years ago and literally every line of your post here resonated with me. I still remember how underwhelming it was. 

By comparison, the RW Fender model is to this day one of the nicest basses I’ve ever played. If I had room on my rack I think I would be picking one up in a heartbeat - my one in, one out policy has me beat though because I don’t know which bass would go to make room. 

• Like 2