Why become a member? ×

Audition tomorrow! Any tips?

iamapirate

So I've learnt the songs as best I can, any normal audition tips as this is my first ever? It's for an already established pop band that's about to start gigging their first album, so they want someone live. It's a bit of a mix of black keys and mgmt to my ears!

But really, I want this to be a general auditions tips thread! Thought its be nice - couldn't find anything on the search

The playing of the songs pales in comparison to making sure that this is a band that you want to be in.

Is everyone happy to meet you? Any tensions between other band members? Do they appear to rehearse regularly? Etc

You've got to make sure that the band has an infrastructure that can deal with the arrival of another guy.

Otherwise, relax and be yourself!

Truckstop

Don't stress! That's when my playing goes to pots, I can't think too much I just have to do, it's good to not try too hard as said above but also to have your say if you think something could be done better live then say so, don't be afraid to make suggestions if they ask for them. Try chatting to the drummer and build up a quick relationship, always helps me when meeting a new drummer

As already stated - be yourself and relax. Try to listen to them too, because although they might want you, you might not want to join [i]them![/i] Get there in plenty of time and set your gear up without any fuss. Make sure everything is working properly (obviously) beforehand... tune up properly... fit new strings (if you like that sort of thing!). Do anything you need to do to boost your own confidence basically.

Good luck!

I know you'll be nervous - it's no use saying relax. However, if you're still up tight after the second song then it's probably not the band for you. Do not be afraid to walk away - it's not a job interview.

The other thing I would have said, is to make sure you really have the songs down but it's probably too late for that. If they've asked you to learn some stuff and you haven't then you're off to a very bad start (I've seen this more often than not in an audition situation - it's amazing)

A couple more to add from me!

- Remember that they (hopefully) want you to succeed. They are looking to fill the position and get on with playing music. If you feel they are overly critical before you even play a note, that's not a good sign and perhaps no big deal if you don't get the gig

- I've landed a few high profile gigs just from being the guy that turns up on time, is reliable, plays simply, and lets the other players shine. I'm guessing that you are not replacing Stuart Zender here!

- I like to play *well* within my ability as the first time you screw up attempting that flash lick, everyone knows what level you are at (or more specifically what level you are NOT at :) Play within your bounds and their imaginations will most likely make them think you are a LOT better than you are.

- Try not to be too strong a personality - they have a band dynamic and they are looking for someone to come in and slowly establish their personality on the band - if that's not the case then that would raise alarm bells with me.

- The best comment I read before was about quickly trying to make a rapport with the drummer. That's key!

- Finally, unless you screw up big time, its possible that they are not listening to you specifically most of the time - they are listening to how the song sounds with you on bass, so relax and don't be too nervous.

- Finally prepare, prepare and prepare

Good luck :)

[quote name='iamapirate' timestamp='1358469761' post='1940016']
So I've learnt the songs as best I can,
[/quote]

It's a bit late in the day i know - but learn them better than that.
Know them inside out. It shows that you are prepared to put the time in.
Homework is always a good sign.

+ a lot had already been said above.

Good luck, relax and enjoy.

Personal hygiene is important in confined spaces - so have a bath!

Seriously though, get in and set up as quickly as you can. If it's a borrowed amp/already in the rehearsal room and it sounds sh*t don't make a fuss, just try to make the best of a bad situation.

Oh, and take a spare lead.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1358506062' post='1940348']
Heard a good one this morning as well, nerves are really creative apprehension (thank you Barry Cryer!)
[/quote]

Absolutely. Nerves are a sign that you give a damn. I'd be more worried if you [i]weren't[/i] nervous!

The problem, of course, is channelling that adrenaline in a positive way. That's where experience comes in. B)

As all the previous advice, but also:

Arrive early - doesn`t mean you have to go in early, but aim to get there15/20 mins early - especially in this weather. Turning up late doesn`t look like someone wanting the position.

When going through the songs, ask prior to starting if there are any arrangements/parts done differently, as you`ll have learned them from the recordings.

When the audition is over, even if an answer isn`t given at that point, I always offer to pay if at a rehearsal studio. I`ve never been taken up on it, but this shows willingness - I`m sure we`ve all been in bands with people who "never have the cash dude". Offering to pay eliminates you from these types.

Ask what the band aims are - if they want to gig all over the place in the week, and your job doesn`t finish until 8pm every night, best find this out now. Likewise if distance gigs are required, do they cause you a problem.

As said, you`re auditioning them, so think of things that could e difficult for you and discuss, see where the band are coming from. Musically they could be great, but if their aims don`t fit your life, well they`re not the band for you.