Why become a member? ×

THE Bass Relay Thread

Jimryan

[quote name='Vinny' timestamp='1364424014' post='2026444']
I've PM'd solo, I don't want him to miss out if (as it appears) he's only got the one gig to play it at.
[/quote]

Thanks Vinny - PM replied to. I saw that the relay looked as if it might be stalling, so I offered to do something to keep it going. I'm not in a band at the moment, but I contacted an old band of mine and they graciously offered me 1 song at their gig in Rawtenstall on 5th April. I'm happy to pick the bass up from Kev and then hand it to you after the 5th if that helps the relay at all. If it over-complicates things, then I'll simply stand aside - it's not a problem.

Steve

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1364428683' post='2026539']
On the plus side , its all plus , on the minus , I am also gigging on the 13th so won't be able to come and enjoy the craic young Vinny- my-lad , ah well , as a mr green once said . :rolleyes:
the party is still on tommorrow night for y'all .
[/quote]

Great! I'll come over tomorrow night (28th) and pick up the bass from you. I'll then pass it to Vinny after my gig on 5th April. See you tomorrow, then.

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1364429074' post='2026543']
On to Chrismuzz in Stoke??
[/quote]

This could work out pretty well! I wish I could make it to Vinny's gig on the 13th but I've got one myself the same night! I'm totally cool to collect the bass a day or two after.. Generations are the featured band at Stoke Uni's Headbangers Ball on the 16th! :D

Cheers Steve , you're very kind , the crowd were really up for it and that helps everything move along nicely.
I was well pleased to see you and Vinny , it is brilliant when you come and introduce yourselves . I think that this relay is fantastic , a truly inspired idea from JIm and I feel honoured to be a part of it . I am not sure how much went in the tins but I am hoping for a few donations on the website , I will check it out and send a few nudges if needed .
Good luck with your go Steve and Vinny.
Kev

Pictures from kev's gig at the Golden Eagle in Chester on 28th March:

Kev explaining the bass relay before playing:

[attachment=131320:Kev 1.JPG]

Kev playing and singing:

[attachment=131318:Kev 3.JPG]

Kev hands bass to me in the interval while eating his pick:

[attachment=131319:Kev and Steve.JPG]

I'll be playing with my old band Ask Anyone at Madisons wine bar in Rawtenstall on 5th April. Anyone in the area, please do come along and say hello. I'll then pass the bass on to Vinny for his gig on 13th April.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by solo4652

Glad you guys enjoyed yourselves last night. Love the pictures too.

Steve, I think it's awesome how your old band are on board with this too.

I'm pleased everyone's having a good time with this. No donations yet Kev (I get emailed every time someone does :-p) but I'm sure once they've woken up and got past any hangovers they will.

Once again,

Cheers guys

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1364549120' post='2027925']
Pictures from kev's gig at the Golden Eagle in Chester on 28th March:

Kev explaining the bass relay before playing:

[attachment=131320:Kev 1.JPG]

Kev playing and singing:

[attachment=131318:Kev 3.JPG]

Kev hands bass to me in the interval while eating his pick:

[attachment=131319:Kev and Steve.JPG]

I'll be playing with my old band Ask Anyone at Madisons wine bar in Rawtenstall on 5th April. Anyone in the area, please do come along and say hello. I'll then pass the bass on to Vinny for his gig on 13th April.

Cheers,

Steve
[/quote]

Great to see the updates - what a Bassface btw!!!!

Moving slowly Northward........

EEEK!

Bit of a problem with the bass this morning - now fixed.

The bass needed a bit of a wash and brush-up, and some routine maintenance. So, this morning, I;

- Sorted out the loose jack socket.

- Quick squirt of switch cleaner into the pots and jack socket - electrics are much quieter now.

- Removed the strings to clean and oil the fretboard with lemon oil. Smells like your mum's kitchen now.

- Tightened all tuners - they were all loose and rattling

- Cleaned the bridge and removed nearly all of the rust.

Putting the strings back on, the nut cracked and half went flying across the kitchen! Oh sh*t. Panic phone call to Steve Robinson guitar tech in Manchester. "Bring it straight over" he said. While I waited, he fitted a new nut and he tweaked the truss-rod to get rid of the fret-buzz at frets 1-5. Since it's the BC relay bass, he didn't charge anything. He's a good man. Here's his website: [url="http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/"]http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/[/url]

Anyway, the bass is now much fitter and healthier and ready to get back out on the road. All's well that ends well.

Steve

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1364569728' post='2028317']
Sounds good! This bass might come out the end of this thing working better than when it started!
[/quote]

I'd hazard a guess at it being better than when I first got it.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1364568154' post='2028285']
EEEK!

Bit of a problem with the bass this morning - now fixed.

The bass needed a bit of a wash and brush-up, and some routine maintenance. So, this morning, I;

- Sorted out the loose jack socket.

- Quick squirt of switch cleaner into the pots and jack socket - electrics are much quieter now.

- Removed the strings to clean and oil the fretboard with lemon oil. Smells like your mum's kitchen now.

- Tightened all tuners - they were all loose and rattling

- Cleaned the bridge and removed nearly all of the rust.

Putting the strings back on, the nut cracked and half went flying across the kitchen! Oh sh*t. Panic phone call to Steve Robinson guitar tech in Manchester. "Bring it straight over" he said. While I waited, he fitted a new nut and he tweaked the truss-rod to get rid of the fret-buzz at frets 1-5. Since it's the BC relay bass, he didn't charge anything. He's a good man. Here's his website: [url="http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/"]http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/[/url]

Anyway, the bass is now much fitter and healthier and ready to get back out on the road. All's well that ends well.

Steve
[/quote]

I met Steve Robinson a couple of times. Nice guy, and my respect for him just went up a notch. Nice one!

In theory, I'm playing The Baton this Friday, 5th April. I say "In theory" because the venue is not returning calls or emails, and it cancelled last weekend's scheduled gig. It's possible our gig may be cancelled. I'm away 6th - 7th, so I'll be able to hand over the bass anytime after that. I'm surprised that nobody else in Manchester has put themselves forward.

Steve

Fate is against me on this one. It's just been confirmed that my gig tomorrow night (5th April) has been cancelled. Apparently, the venue closed two weeks ago and didn't inform the bands that had been booked.

So - who's having it next?

Steve

Edited by solo4652