Why become a member? ×

THE Bass Relay Thread

Jimryan

I've just caught up with thread and a very heartwarming one it is too.... A great effort by a great community of musicians. [size=4]So my question is this...[/size]

[size=4]​What are the [/size]chances[size=4] of it coming across the channel to France? [/size]

[size=4]I live in the [/size]sunny[size=4] [/size]bit down[size=4] on the Med and have lots of contacts with bands and venues here. My band would certainly like to be involved. There is a huge festival scene here in the [/size]summer[size=4] months and I could see this bass covering a lot of kilometres. There is a well supported network locally for families touched by cancer, mainly French but large numbers of ex-pats are also involved. I'm sure they would take on some publicity to help things along.[/size]

[size=4]If someone thinks its doable, let me know.[/size]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='sbrag' timestamp='1419091011' post='2636496']
Slightly out of date now, but a bit of press for the relay in my works paper from when I had the bass back in October has just been published. A brief article but should go round a couple of thousand people and there ought to be a few more bass players across the sites.

I'll try and post a copy when I can.
[/quote]

Let's see it then!!! Go on, the public need to know :)

[quote name='The Saint' timestamp='1420898455' post='2654723']
I've just caught up with thread and a very heartwarming one it is too.... A great effort by a great community of musicians. So my question is this...

​What are the chances of it coming across the channel to France?

I live in the sunnybit down on the Med and have lots of contacts with bands and venues here. My band would certainly like to be involved. There is a huge festival scene here in the summer months and I could see this bass covering a lot of kilometres. There is a well supported network locally for families touched by cancer, mainly French but large numbers of ex-pats are also involved. I'm sure they would take on some publicity to help things along.

If someone thinks its doable, let me know.
[/quote]
I travel quite a bit between cambridge and marseille, so i'd be happy to ferry the bass to south of france if it is needed :)

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all,

Been doing a bit of thinking regarding the relay of late and had a chat with Donnyboy about it the other week.

On 16th Febuary 2013 I played the first gig with the bass and thus kicking off the relay. With the 16th slowly getting closer to mark the two year point, I've decided that this will be a good date to bring it to a close.

To date the bass has gone up and down the country, been played by many, followed by even more, had press coverage, signed by some of our idols, been helped along its way by the kidneys of many, brought people together and helped raise money for cancer research UK. Since starting the relay we have collectively raised £2423.31, an amazing effort by all those involved.

Come the 16th, I'll arrange getting the bass back to myself and from there decide what to do next with it. The just giving page I'll keep open until the 1st of March to allow for any additional donations.

Although I can't thank you all enough for helping, keeping the relay going and raising awareness, an extra thank you goes to all those directly involved with making all this happen (I'm not going to name names, but you all know who you are). The relay has been a shining example of what is achievable and how great a sense of community there is amongst the members of Basschat.

Never did I imagine the relay getting as big as it has or raising as much as it did, so thank you.

James

Another "big thanks to you" from me ! I played my own small part and was more than happy to do so ....but you had the idea....again well done. All of us on basschat can be proud of the efforts made and the money raised......

.Two years...jeez it seems like yesterday when I said I would join in when you first asked about setting it up.Then I left the band and couldn't take part in the initial run of gigs!

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1422950274' post='2678643']
Morning all,

Been doing a bit of thinking regarding the relay of late and had a chat with Donnyboy about it the other week.

On 16th Febuary 2013 I played the first gig with the bass and thus kicking off the relay. With the 16th slowly getting closer to mark the two year point, I've decided that this will be a good date to bring it to a close.

To date the bass has gone up and down the country, been played by many, followed by even more, had press coverage, signed by some of our idols, been helped along its way by the kidneys of many, brought people together and helped raise money for cancer research UK. Since starting the relay we have collectively raised £2423.31, an amazing effort by all those involved.

Come the 16th, I'll arrange getting the bass back to myself and from there decide what to do next with it. The just giving page I'll keep open until the 1st of March to allow for any additional donations.

Although I can't thank you all enough for helping, keeping the relay going and raising awareness, an extra thank you goes to all those directly involved with making all this happen (I'm not going to name names, but you all know who you are). The relay has been a shining example of what is achievable and how great a sense of community there is amongst the members of Basschat.

Never did I imagine the relay getting as big as it has or raising as much as it did, so thank you.

James
[/quote]

Well done, James :) It was very selfless and generous to offer to send your own first bass all over the country to be played at gigs to raise money for charity.

What about your second bass, now? :P

Seriously though - Thank you. You've made an incredibly valuable contribution to society through this one enterprise alone.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1423019255' post='2679692']

Well done, James :) It was very selfless and generous to offer to send your own first bass all over the country to be played at gigs to raise money for charity.

What about your second bass, now? :P

Seriously though - Thank you. You've made an incredibly valuable contribution to society through this one enterprise alone.
[/quote]

Second bass? I sold it years ago and have wanted it back ever since. An early OLP stingray 4, pearl blue finish with maple board and Jim scratched in the paint under the pickguard. Been looking for ages, but never found it 😢

Guys, thanks for all the kind words.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all,

Well this is it, on this day two years ago I started the relay. The bass was used for my first gig with Mr Big Stuff at The Jolly Sailor in Southsea. Since then it has travelled the length of the country, been used by many, seen by even more, raised a tremendous amount for Cancer Research UK and even made it into the hands of a handful of famous bassists.

None of this would of been possible without everyone's continued help and support. A big thank you to everyone that's been involved with the relay.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1424071728' post='2692091']
Morning all,

Well this is it, on this day two years ago I started the relay. The bass was used for my first gig with Mr Big Stuff at The Jolly Sailor in Southsea. Since then it has travelled the length of the country, been used by many, seen by even more, raised a tremendous amount for Cancer Research UK and even made it into the hands of a handful of famous bassists.

None of this would of been possible without everyone's continued help and support. A big thank you to everyone that's been involved with the relay.
[/quote]

Well done Mr Ryan - you should be very, very, proud. A resounding 3 cheers for you from all involved!!!!! :drinks: :thank_you:

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1424072974' post='2692096']
With all that in mind, is there any BC members that regularly travel between Teignmouth and Portsmouth? Or bits of the way at least?

Cheers,

James
[/quote]

If anyone one assist in getting The Bass back to James that'd be great. I think he deserves to have her back in his loving arms, again. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

A little message from my local CRUK Fundraising manager

"At Cancer Research UK we believe that innovation is essential for success. Whether it is our researchers, scientists or our fundraisers, we know that looking for new ways of doing things and by embracing technology we can speed up progress to beat cancer sooner.

The Bass Relay has inspired us at Cancer Research UK because a brilliant sum, £2,300 and counting, has been raised through supporters all over the country who have worked together as a virtual group united through Basschat. This virtual way of fundraising is relatively new and you’ve given us a glimpse of the future and the way that online groups could impact our work.

We are so grateful for everyone’s support with the Bass Relay because every pound raised will mean a step closer to the day when all cancers are cured. And there are all sorts of ways that your fundraising could help…

For example, the sum you’ve raised is more than half the money needed to help us to buy a clever machine that can make 80,000 copies of DNA in just one second, like a turbo-charged genetic photocopier! If you want to understand what makes a cancer cell tick you need to get your hands on the cell’s DNA- and lots of it. Scientists can use these machines to scrutinise individual sets of instructions in the DNA to work out which errors in the code lead to cancer – helping to diagnose patients sooner, saving more lives.

Thank you so much to everyone at Basschat who helped to make the Bass Relay such a fundraising success. One day we will beat cancer, thank you for helping to make that day sooner.

Best wishes,

Hayley"

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1424965798' post='2702417']

"At Cancer Research UK we believe that innovation is essential for success. Whether it is our researchers, scientists or our fundraisers, we know that looking for new ways of doing things and by embracing technology we can speed up progress to beat cancer sooner.

The Bass Relay has inspired us at Cancer Research UK because a brilliant sum, £2,300 and counting, has been raised through supporters all over the country who have worked together as a virtual group united through Basschat. This virtual way of fundraising is relatively new and you've given us a glimpse of the future and the way that online groups could impact our work.

We are so grateful for everyone's support with the Bass Relay because every pound raised will mean a step closer to the day when all cancers are cured. And there are all sorts of ways that your fundraising could help…

For example, the sum you've raised is more than half the money needed to help us to buy a clever machine that can make 80,000 copies of DNA in just one second, like a turbo-charged genetic photocopier! If you want to understand what makes a cancer cell tick you need to get your hands on the cell's DNA- and lots of it. Scientists can use these machines to scrutinise individual sets of instructions in the DNA to work out which errors in the code lead to cancer – helping to diagnose patients sooner, saving more lives.

Thank you so much to everyone at Basschat who helped to make the Bass Relay such a fundraising success. One day we will beat cancer, thank you for helping to make that day sooner.

Best wishes,

Hayley"
[/quote]

Brilliant!!!

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1424965798' post='2702417']

The Bass Relay has inspired us at Cancer Research UK because a brilliant sum, £2,300 and counting, has been raised through supporters all over the country who have worked together as a virtual group united through Basschat. This virtual way of fundraising is relatively new and you've given us a glimpse of the future and the way that online groups could impact our work.

We are so grateful for everyone's support with the Bass Relay because every pound raised will mean a step closer to the day when all cancers are cured. And there are all sorts of ways that your fundraising could help…

For example, the sum you've raised is more than half the money needed to help us to buy a clever machine that can make 80,000 copies of DNA in just one second, like a turbo-charged genetic photocopier! If you want to understand what makes a cancer cell tick you need to get your hands on the cell's DNA- and lots of it. Scientists can use these machines to scrutinise individual sets of instructions in the DNA to work out which errors in the code lead to cancer – helping to diagnose patients sooner, saving more lives.

Best wishes,

Hayley"
[/quote]

Fantastic!

It's really good to know that the money goes to something really useful, like the DNA copier thing.

You've put a lot of effort into this, James, and the rewards are there to be seen. You've raised loads of money, and I think that BC as a whole is proud of that.

Perhaps someday in the future, people will be able to shrug-off a cancer diagnosis as "no big thing".

Well done :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1424978571' post='2702588']
Fantastic!

It's really good to know that the money goes to something really useful, [b]like the DNA copier thing.[/b]

You've put a lot of effort into this, James, and the rewards are there to be seen. You've raised loads of money, and I think that BC as a whole is proud of that.

Perhaps someday in the future, people will be able to shrug-off a cancer diagnosis as "no big thing".

Well done :)
[/quote]

They are really useful!!! One of ours broke this week and it'll take a few weeks to get it back. We have two more, but we're all panicking, that's how cool they are! :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1424985370' post='2702735']
They are really useful!!! One of ours broke this week and it'll take a few weeks to get it back. We have two more, but we're all panicking, that's how cool they are! :lol:
[/quote]

I knew you'd be along to describe the significance of the machine :D It sounds cool. I want one, but for cookies.