Why become a member? ×

Shuker Maintenance Course

Sean

Advice: Dood says, take biscuits!!

Jon is absolutely brilliant - The course will be well paced and he's totally understanding, patient and a great teacher as well as a first class luthier. His work is stunning with an attention to detail that is highly respected. You're gonna have a great time!

I'd love to do one of those courses. Please share your experiences with us afterwards. Anyway, the reason I've put up this post is that I was up around the vacinity of Jon Shuker's place yesterday on a delivery. Expect snow. It's lying about 5cm thick at the moment and there's more forecast from Friday midday.

Edited by Len_derby

I've also booked the build course being run in April as a birthday present. This is the one with two other people where you can build a P or J type bass or a T or S (I assume) type guitar.

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Barefootbassplayer' timestamp='1358425844' post='1938859']
Take dog biscuits and give Ruby a stroke for me!!! :) You'll have a blast, Jon is fantastic!
[/quote]

Yeah, I was going to mention Ruby, she likes a lot of fuss.

I'll also be up at Jon's on Saturday morning to pick a bass up. I've also thought about doing the course so I'll maybe ask him about it while I'm there

I managed to get there unscathed however almost stuffed the car on the A53 between Leek and Buxton trying to avoid a quarry truck that stopped sharply in front of me. I managed to slide round it and up on a snowy verge. Very scary!

The course was superb. Two of us turned up and Jon took us through fret dressing, levelling and crowning; truss rod adjustment; getting the action right; intonation; setting pickup height; replacing frets; recutting the nut. I'm sure I've forgotten some.

I learned loads and had a great day and now feel much more confident about getting instruments playing better. The results I had with the new BB424 I took with me just blew me away; I'm staggered at how well it plays now.

I also managed to do a complete fret job and set up on my 1987 US Strat and that's playing beautifully too. Taking it apart gave me a reminder of how well made it is, the neck pocket is snug.

I would recommend the course to anyone who is interested; Jon's a natural tutor and has lots of patience.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1358684507' post='1943184']
I managed to get there unscathed however almost stuffed the car on the A53 between Leek and Buxton trying to avoid a quarry truck that stopped sharply in front of me. I managed to slide round it and up on a snowy verge. Very scary!
[/quote]

I live in Leek..it always gets a bit hairy on that road,especially when the weather gets bad.

Glad the course was good though.

[quote name='Voodoosnake' timestamp='1358711236' post='1943888']
Does Jon advertise these courses?? Any links with prices, local digs etc?
[/quote][size=4][quote name='seashell' timestamp='1358713620' post='1943971'][/size][size=4]I'm completely hopeless at any of this stuff and would love to learn more.[/size][size=4][/quote][/size]
[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/courses.html"]http://www.shukergui...uk/courses.html[/url]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358713747' post='1943972']
[size=4][/size]
[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/courses.html"]http://www.shukergui...uk/courses.html[/url]
[/quote]

Cheers Mark. :D
I know you're thinking 'why didn't they just google it?' :-)
My excuse is I'm posting from my phone and its a bit fiddly. And I've had a couple of vinos. As usual.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1358714323' post='1943989']
Cheers Mark. :D [size=4]I know you're thinking 'why didn't they just google it?' :-)[/size]
My excuse is I'm posting from my phone and its a bit fiddly. And I've had a couple of vinos. As usual.[/quote]

Ha, ha! :lol:[size=4] How well you know me. No excuse necessary, you're welcome.[/size]