Sign in to follow this  
headofire

Guild b302 - any fans?

I've had a fretless b301f for years and i love it, and I just put a deposit on a black b302 that i cant really afford... but I've been humming and ha-ing for months and just thought sod it! I wondered what basschat makes of these weird but wonderful basses. I think the single pickup ones look better because the plate doesn't go as far to the neck but it growls so much with two pickups I thought Id get the fretted one. So any fans want to make me feel better about spending money i cant afford?

Anytime you buyyourself a new bass it can't be a bad thing. Wierd, but actually a very good, well-made bass. Enjoy!

I had a B302F - loved it, but I really wanted a fretted version. Will certainly snap one up when the right one comes up.
Such a well built bass, and lot's of great sounds here's mine [url="http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/guild/bass/B302F.php"]http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/guild/bass/B302F.php[/url]

Guild, to me, are one of the most underated brands, and their 70s stuff sells a lot cheaper than it is worth IMHO

Sorry to derail the B30x love but it's vaguely relevant - I had a B402-A for a while.

It was a lovely old beast, very rare (only 335 made) and had a lovely sound - the pickups seemed to interact with each other to almost sound "chorussy" rather than the usual (to my ears anyway) negating effect that pickups have on each other. EQ had good range on it and had a passive (no EQ) get out of jail switch. Also had an utterly pointless phase switch (was that a late 70s/early 80s thing? Here's a switch that sucks all the bass out of your bass - wha?). Unfortunately, I found the super creamy sound was great soloed, but tended to get a bit lost in a live band scenario, but maybe that was my fault. Probably make a fantastic recording bass. In the end I traded it for a G&L El Toro, another 80s weirdo that I fancied.

Cool bass, I love guilds I had a great great Starfire for a while. I'm moving this on.. http://basschat.co.uk/topic/207554-guild-b302/page__fromsearch__1.
I had the frets dressed and it has the case now too.

I'd keep it if I didn't need a new amp/cab. I've got a guild 301f which is more my style these days. Frets get in the way when your used to double bass. Handy after a few ales though...

Edited by headofire