Why become a member? ×

Squier vs Warmoth

Dave D

Probably a silly question, but if Squier is made to Fender spec, would a Squier neck be better than say, a Warmoth neck?
You can get a complete squier jazz for a little more tha £100 on eBay or spend double that on a Warmoth from the factory.

Thanks guys

I saw what the general consensus took to be a Warmoth Strat in a junk shop window a few weeks ago. The figuring & burr on it was simply immense, I really don't like Strats generally but that was one gorgeous machine. It didn't last a full day in the shop before it was bought.

Not a hope in hell of any Squier looking as good as that did.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1358156878' post='1933788']
My ebony fretless warmoth neck is probably the nicest neck I have ever played. So no, a squier will not match up. It might be good enough with some fettling though.

better is also a very subjective word.
:)
[/quote]

Fettling. What a fantastic word to use.

I've just been on the Warmouth site and made my custom neck $415 and custom body $370. :unsure:

They're definitely top quality. I too have an ebony fretless neck (with some sort of oily unfinished wood on the back, can't remember what it's called) that sings, just asks to be played. Also got a maple fretted Precision neck that's very nicely made but a bit deep for my taste - they offer a shallower one these days, wish I'd had that choice when I bought it. Solid as a rock though.

[quote name='Dave D' timestamp='1358093739' post='1932952']
Probably a silly question, but if Squier is made to Fender spec, would a Squier neck be better than say, a Warmoth neck?
You can get a complete squier jazz for a little more tha £100 on eBay or spend double that on a Warmoth from the factory.

Thanks guys
[/quote]

Warmoth and Allparts necks are lovely quality but you can get a mighty mite neck for £99 on ebay. If money is no object you can pay £400 or more for a Warmoth (with tax and postage) and get a beautiful looking neck. But myself and many others have bought a MM neck and it's excellent value for the cash.

This guy on ebay imports and sells Mighty Mite necks (with fender decals) contact him and he'll tell you when his next shipment is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Squier-Precision-Bass-Korea-93-/330855273195?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4d0882d2eb

Yep, I've got three MM-necked basses, and they're very very good for the money. I've had them fret-dressed, and they play and feel as good as anything Fender. The Warmoth neck I've got on the Explorer is indeed chunky-P in profile (there's a Slim Taper option, tho), but also top quality. I'd love to try a full-wenge J-neck, or go bananas with a full birdseye maple one. I'm over in the States for three weeks at Easter, so I might even order one to be delivered over there and bring it back myself.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1358161605' post='1933887']
Yep, I've got three MM-necked basses, and they're very very good for the money. I've had them fret-dressed, and they play and feel as good as anything Fender. The Warmoth neck I've got on the Explorer is indeed chunky-P in profile (there's a Slim Taper option, tho), but also top quality. I'd love to try a full-wenge J-neck, or go bananas with a full birdseye maple one. I'm over in the States for three weeks at Easter, so I might even order one to be delivered over there and bring it back myself.
[/quote]

The wenge necks are great to play, plus if they become sticky or dirty from use you just run the steel wool down it a couple of times and its good as new.

The standard maple neck I ordered had a lot of birdseye figuring in it :yarr:

Never had the option of the thinner neck when I got mine but if/when I order another then I 'll definitely go with this option

All of their stuff is top top quality