Why become a member? ×

HELP - Advice on Cabs

Thomas Lieberman

Hi all
I have a 600w 8ohm 1 x 15 and a 500w Trace Elliot Head, and a spare Ashdown Mag400 Head

I play in 4 complete different bands where I use 3 different basses

Just want one cab/amp set up for them all (transport and storage problem)

I have a passive KK Baby Double base (not a lot of signal comes out of this so I tend to use a Fishman pre amp/compressor)

Got an active Yamaha bass, cheap one but sounds good with the disco band

A G&L for the other two bands

I am looking for either a 2 x 10 at 8 ohms to use with the 1 x 15, not sure on wattage but presume 500w?
or a 2 x 12 at 4ohms 500w cab, to use without the 1 x 15, this one seems hard to locate and at a reasonable price
needs to be less than £500 new or second hand

Any ideas anyone

First off, the 500 watts from the Trace, are they at 4ohms or 2ohms. If at 4ohms, you can use either two 8ohm cabs, or one 4ohm cab. Using an 8ohm cab and a 4ohm cab will not be good for your amp.

Secondly, many will advise that you should always use the same speakers, for a load of technical reasons, phasing etc, all stuff I don`t understand, but they will no doubt be along to explain it. For me, the same size speakers is the option for this reason, say you have two 210 cabs. Use one at rehearsals/small gigs, bring out the other one for larger gigs, no need to re-eq. Whereas if you have a 210 & 115, chances are each cab will have a different sound. So you end up with a great sound with the pair, but which you can never obtain by using either on its own.

Or alternatively, get a 4ohm 212 or 410, and just use the one cab. Less moving about of gear that way. Saying that, there won`t be much of a difference between a 4ohm cab and an 8ohm cab in terms of loudness if both have the same dB sensitivity.

I`m yet to play venues where I needed more than 212 or 410, and if playing large venues, inevitably its through FOH, so your cab is an on-stage monitor.

Gk do the mbe 212 which is a nice light weight 212, and is in the 300 pound mark new.

For that size cab id get an 8 ohm version just so you can always expand on it. There wnt be a massive loss in volume between 4 and 8 ohms.

First of do you like the sound of your 15? If so maybe add another 15?

Personally i prefer to trust my ears so if a 210/212 and a 115 sound good then i forget the science. And just use them. Best thing to do is get out there and play thru some cabs.

My thinking is a 210 is not a standalone cab for a decent gig, so you should always expect to have to carry the 115 as well
unless for very quiet gigs.. so anything more than that is a bonus.

I don't like the idea of 2x115 myself but if you can live with it, then all that gives you is more of the same, but MORE.
1x115 against 212.. I'd go for the 212 ...but that means you'll sell the 115.
If you are willing to do that, then the 212 is the compromise cab...if you can get one at 4ohms for the full power of your
amp.

If you are willing to carry 2 cabs..then adding a 210 to your 115 seems the easiest way around this...as you get full power
in a full range-ish cab config.

What make is the 1x15?

I've heard a zillion arguments about matching speakers sizes but I've seen plenty of pro players using multi-speaker set ups and have never once thought that they sounded 'wrong'.

There are a lot of things that are fabulously designed from a technical point of view. Doesn't always mean they sound great :(

I would, however, look at matching cabs by make, design, sensitivity etc. of course there's also simple stuff like matching cabs by size so that they stack ok and, if it bothers you (it does me) that they actually look ok together on stage.

If the 1x15 is a Trace then the Trace 2x10 matches really well. Stacks perfectly, good tonal fit, options to swap back and forth if you want just the 1x15 with the double bass etc.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1358080390' post='1932653']
There are a lot of things that are fabulously designed from a technical point of view. Doesn't always mean they sound great :(
[/quote]

Its the pro sound engineers you need to pay attention to, the stuff you look at is more likely to be there for just that purpose the bigger the gig. As soon as something is close miced, then its a small part of one speaker you hear out front. And even then a DI is most likely to be involved.

How loud do you need to go?

This is what I'd do; assuming the DB gigs are the quietest I'd look for a good 112.

I'd then either get a 212 or add another 112 for the louder stuff.

Or if you prefer the sound of 10's you could add a 210 to your 15 and replace the 15 at a later date with another 210.

I'd keep the amps until you've settled on your cab line up.

Chaps, awesome advise, much appreciated
getting the additional matching speaker right concerns me and over the last two months I have tried various combinations
I bought a TC Electronic 1 x 15" 250w combo, it just could not handle the weak signal from my passive double bass
Played with it new years eve with my other guitars and it just did not have the dynamic range once you got halfway with the volume
So swapped it for the Trace

However another option is a bigger combo, which I might preffer because I will not have any matching problems and less gear to lug around

does anyone have any comments about an Orange Tiny Terror Bass Combo Amplifier TB500C 2 x 12 500Watt Combo???????
it could be the inbetween answer for all my different bands
its less than 25kg and at least its got 2 x 12" speakers and at 500w I really don't need any more power with the venues I play
But I have no idea how it performs

I would not go for a combo. You have different playing situations so I'd use a good 500 watt amp and several cabs that could be put together depending on the gig.

I've found that 2 112 cabs cover 90% of what I do, from acoustic to very loud, and the 2 210's cover the other 10%.

If your DB has a weak signal then boost it prior to the amp.

There are Aguilar, Eden and Genz 112's in the FS section and 2 Bergantino AE210's.

These are all fantastic cabs.

I'd agree that 2 good 2x112's will cover a very loud gig or stage.

I use 2x112 and 550w on an 8x4m stage...and would probably be getting into the relams of the 2x210's if the FOH was good.
This would mean the monitors would be full range and the stage sound would be loud and bollicking..which is how we want to play
these gigs.

It depends on what your gigs are...
You probably find most people who do a variety of gigs have a variety of rig options and know what works where.
This is why the modular rig is useful ..as you can up or downscale to fit, more easily.

For a very good sound, I'd say 2 cabs should be the goal and make them manageable and modular as most of us have to move
them as well. :lol:

I wouldn't rule out a good combo.

I tried countless rigs when I was looking & settled on a MarkBass 2x10 combo which covers all the gigs I've done so far (this includes a DB player using it for the same gig).

If I ever needed more, I could easily add another 2x10 cab. The only thing you have to make sure is that You like the amp & cabs from whoever makes the combo you get.

Likewise with Markbass, but I use a 112 combo, with a 112 extension speaker if I need it. In one band I do - big loud noisy punk covers - but in the other band, just the combo is needed. And it`s an 8 piece band.

The Terror combo may work for you, but try it out before you buy - they have their own sound, and if you don`t like it, they`re not the most flexible on eq.

Again thanks all
I think I will go for flexibility
I intend to use my trace 500w top (keep the ashdown 400w top as a spare) and the 8ohm 1 x 15" 600w cab for my DB gigs (they tend to be small venues)
and for the larger venues with my other bass guitars i can buy and add an 8 ohm 2 x 10" 500w cab to the set up and get the full volume and dynamic range
plus its the cheapest option too
Agree?