Why become a member? ×

Playing AND singing

Si600

How many of you fill both roles of bass playing and singing? What's the best way to get started? I either lose my bass line or make a hash of the vocals when I try.

I'm rubbish at singing in tune as well, but that's another thread :)

Like anything really, work out both the bass and vocal parts, and work on them very, very, slowly. Eventually, you'll get to a point where the vocal parts will start to come quite easily if the vocal and bass rhythms are quite basic.

For the more difficult ones, it's just practice, practice, practice, slowly, slowly, slowly, and speed it up very gradually.

Also, it depends on whether you're talking about lead or backing vocals. I do backing mainly, although I have done lead vocals while playing too. When listening to any music at all, listen to the backing vocals, and concentrate on trying to sing along to that part instead of the lead vocals.

If at all possible, simplify the Bass Line (to Root Notes if you have to) and concentrate on the Vocals, as these are what are causing the confusion. By the time you have the Vocals off to your satisfaction, you won't have to concentrate on them so much, and can gradually bring the Bass Line back up to scratch. It takes a little practise, but it's eminently do-able. ;)

I do backing on quite a few numbers and lead vox on a couple of tunes. It's fine for me as long as the bass part isn't too intricate, or the rhythm of the bass part doesn't contradict the vocal melody. I would like to sing more, but I'd rather not let the bass part suffer, or simplify it too much. It's okay with original stuff, because you can engineer it to work for you, but with covers (especially if its a really well known bass part, or its critical to making the song sound right) it's much harder.

Think as a start-off, follow Big Als advice. In general, backing vocs usually bring more to a chorus than a busy bass line, so keeping steady on the bass and singing is a better trade-off. The song itself will lift better with more voices.

For lead vocs, well that`s a different matter, and bassists who do that have my utmost respect. In one of my bands, our singer/rhythm guitarist had to dep for me on bass when I injured my wrist, and he said afterwards he`d found a new respect for me as he hadn`t realised how steady the bass had to be, and admitted he`d been shaking with nerves before the gig.

Singing whilst playing bass is similar to playing drums and singing , the temptation to sing every word on the beat is very strong .
Playing guitar and singing is quite easy compared to playing bass and singing .
Try and treat the vocal as a separate entity to the bass line , much like a keyboard player can split the melody line from the bass line .
Learn the bass line until you can do it in your sleep , then slowly add the vocal line on top , keeping the bass line steady .
Takes a lot of practice though .
Good luck
Martin.

Edit , put yourself on a strict diet of early Police records ( yes , I still listen to records ) to get inspiration from the master of singing over complex bass lines

Edited by martin8708

I love singing - our guitar player et moi share vocal duites and our drummer wades in too. Why pay some preening prima donna that won't lift your gear and has none of their own??

Soapbox issue for me but....... practise. That's all it is. Such a simple , obvious point but so many don;t get it - we practise for months and years on bass because we couldn;t just play perfectly the first time we ever picked one up BUT we then have one go at singing and say we 'can't sing'. What's that all about?? The thing is we 'don't' sing - not 'can't'. Practise.

For me. I wasn;t confident when I started singing so I just pretended to be confident. I put on the actors clothes and went at the mic like I was a superstar. Do that - and after a while you become what you portray.

Playing while singing - never really been a problem for me. On one or two occassions the bassline has been well out of sync with the vocal line so I've mentally underlined certain words that are accented as I play a certain note - that does the trick. Again - it's just practise.

Pitching - mine's not perfect. Practise makes it better. The timbre of my voice is bland as well , so I've developed a sort of Aled Jones sings Noddy Holder gravelly fog horn. Not a natural voice but a useable one. Rod , our guitar player , has developed one of those 'talk sing' voices that sounds very natural and the opposite to mine - so between us we've got pretty much everything covered.

Yup. I have been doing it for 30 years. My inspiration was Geddy Lee. After so much time I just find it completely natural. I just split myself in two psychologically...much as a pianist or drummer would do. In doing so I find it easy enough to play complex lines whilst warbling.

When I'm singing my fingers just do their thing, probably down to muscle memory.

Playing bass well is easier than singing well. The voice is after all the primary instrument.

Edited by White Cloud

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1358071169' post='1932491']

When I'm singing my fingers just do their thing, probably down to muscle memory.

[/quote]

Dichotomy , I think it's termed. You and I have been doing it forever and a day so it comes easy to us.

For those who think it impossible................ If I rang your mobile while you were having your dinner would you stick your fork in your eye??

Of course not - because you're used to eating your dinner and you're used to answering your mobile - ie. you've practised those things a lot.

I find myself having to do bv more and more these days.

I read somewhere (maybe here) that macca used to play much simpler basslines when perfoming live.

I sometimes find myself having to make a decision as to which I would sooner compromise. sometimes it just takes a little tweaking of the bassline to allow me to get the vocals right and it doesn't effect the feel of the music in a live situation. however there are times where the written bassline is so integral to the whole feel of the song that the bv has to take a back seat.

someone also mentioned recently phil lynott and the theory that he must have written the bass part and the vocals side-by-side to allow for any shortcomings.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1358076889' post='1932589']
written the bass part and the vocals side-by-side to allow for any shortcomings.
[/quote]

I do consider both parts when writing the music but you can run the risk of over simplifying in order to make things easier.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1358076889' post='1932589']

I read somewhere (maybe here) that macca used to play much simpler basslines when perfoming live.

someone also mentioned recently phil lynott and the theory that he must have written the bass part and the vocals side-by-side to allow for any shortcomings.
[/quote]

Might have been me that said that about Phil - if it was , it will have been to note it rather than agree with it. As a composer - the fountainhead so far as I'm concerned - I wouldn't compromise the melody of a song because I couldn't play it's bass line at the same time. Recreating a piece in a live concert is nothing. It's been and gone in a heartbeat. A recording is for ever.

Macca's approach is far more acceptable. No compromise at the composing and recording stages - only at the point of delivering live.