Why become a member? ×

Strat/Tele/335/LP etc characteristics

Truckstop

I've been playing guitar a lot recently and getting involved in a project as a guitarist. I have a Squier Strat which is lovely but want something a bit newer and bit more heavyweight.

I was just wondering what the main playability characteristics of the main guitar shapes are. Which ones have thick necks, thin necks, traditionally heavy, bright, bassy etc

I love the look of Telecasters, but if their necks are too thin I'd never be able to to grips with one!

Cheers

Alex

Well Fenders and Gibsons have different necks on the same guitars, much the same as basses, but an overall very basic comparison is Fenders, both Strats & Teles = Jazz (thinner), Gibson Les Pauls = Precisions (chunky), and 335s somewhere in between. SGs, hmmm, some are fairly chunky too.

Soundwise, much the same as above really. And weight, well depends on model, but Les Pauls can be very heavy.

If you`re looking for something more heavyweight soundwise Alex, I wouldn`t look at a Tele seeing as you already have a Strat. Depending on money you want to spend, an Epiphone Les Paul would be a good buy - Coda Music have a couple of 2nd hand ones reasonably priced. If willing to go a bit higher, I`d probably seek out a Gordon Smith - they have coil-taps so are very versatile, and are just all round great guitars, probably the best guitars I`ve had - and have had a fair few, Fenders, Gibsons etc.

This would be a great guitar to have:
http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/electric_guitars/solid_body_electric_guitars/1007_gordon-smith_gs_1_5_electric_guitar

The strats and teles are a longer scale than the GIbsons. Some people recommend thinner strings for the Fender type guitars as a result i.e. 10's for the gibsons and 9's for the fenders. Always stuck with 10's on the fenders personally. Strats and les pauls are very different instruments to play, they always inspire me in very different directions.

Of course there's the humbucker - gibson / single coil - fender differences.

The fender roadworn 58 tele's have the chunkier neck profile typical of the age. Supposed to sound and play very sweet too (I'll get one myself at some point ;) )

Check out the classic vibe strats and teles - very very nice indeed. My go - to guitar is a classic vibe strat at the mo. THe Westfield les pauls are extraordinarily good, even more so considering they're really really cheap. I'm setting one up now and it's lovely, honestly.

Don't forget to check out the Gretsch electromatic 5345's (I own one and love it to bits) - they're another kettle of fish altogether and a great antidote to the fender / gibson choice.

Why not just keep trying them all ? it's fun !!!!!!!!

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1357983104' post='1931231']

Don't forget to check out the Gretsch electromatic 5345's (I own one and love it to bits) - they're another kettle of fish altogether and a great antidote to the fender / gibson choice.

Why not just keep trying them all ? it's fun !!!!!!!!
[/quote]Gretches are marvellous guitars, something a little different and quirky, but also offering something that (normally) neither Gibson or Fender do sonically. Whether the Gretsch is fitted with Dynasonics (single coils) or Filtertrons (humbucking) they are much fatter than Fender singles but clearer than Gibson 'buckers (again for 'normal' G or F fare). It is rumoured that Pete Townshend used a Gretsch for much of Who's Next, Malcom Young always uses a Gretsch with AC/DC and what Brian Setzer can do with one is amazing, anything from jazz to all out rock. Definitely worth a look.

Another brand worth trying are the PRS SE range, really well made with good pickups and hardware and the necks tend to bigger than Fender ones. Some of the newer Customs feature coil taps on the 'buckers. Prices vary greatly through the range.

EDIT. If you don't mind a bit of a journey a trip down to Guitar Guitar in Epsom is recommended as they have a HUGE stock of different brands and models. Coda and Machine are closer to you though and IIRC have pretty fine stock too. Or of course you could chance some crap service in Denmark Street. Try, try, try and see what you're comfortable with.

Edited by ezbass

As Lozz said above - If you have a Strat already, then a Les Paul type would give you more variety of sound over a tele (in comparison).

I can highly recommend the Rally Les Paul - made by the same factory that turns out Epiphones. Get one before Gibson waves the lawsuit....

Comes with a set neck, pckups that are way better than i expected,real flame maple cap , great fretwork (only needed polishing) and was set up ready to go..

It's that good that I'm selling my Gordon-Smith and using the Rally instead...

the best bit?.... I paid £139 new for it!

And yes,they do them as right handers!

Off to blast out Parisienne walkways through a valve amp now... :D :D :D

Edited by OldG

A video with a Les Paul and Esquire(single pickup tele) jamming together - a fairly good comparison between the two tonally.

[media]http://youtu.be/5Iaja78k8kY[/media]

*warning* Phil X and Chappers from Aldertons content.....

We call them valves in Narnia.

:)

Love the video, but the Tele tone from that esquire is a lot more righteous than most people would manage.

But back to the OP.

Strats, Jaguars, SGs and similar double cut guitars also often tend to have contoured bodies that make them more comfortable to play. Teles, Les Pauls and almost everything else has sharp edges and will lack body contours. Generally bolt-neck guitars will be lighter and set neck guitars heavier, but there are exceptions, especially where bodies are smaller/thinner, the manufacturer has removed wood to reduce weight, or, like Strats & Teles from the 70s, they've simply used really horrid and hugely dense lumps of wood for the bodies.

Necks - Fender modern necks tend to be slimmer, vintage necks (50s especially) are normally chunky - the neck on my MIJ strat is a 60s style, and bigger than a Gibson slim taper. Strat necks have tended to be slimmer than Teles, and an early 50s style tele may have a U profile boat neck to rival any Gibson baseball bat. Gibson necks have a wide variety of profiles, just like Fender, but the 2 main styles are the slim taper (Also called the 60s neck, can be pretty skinny, now asymmetric) and the 50's style that is chunky. There are also specific shapes and sizes for 1960 (chunky) '59 (chunkier) and 58 (a real baseball bat requiring heroic hands). Generally SG style guitars seem to have skinnier necks than LP types.

Bright and bassy etc. Traditionally the Les Paul is the last word in fat, sweet tones, the Strat produced chiming and sparkly tone and the Tele spiky, biting tones. TBH it's twaddle, and there are plenty of players and instruments that break these stereotypes. I have a Les Paul here that is as bright as a Tele and would suit chickin' pickin', while I also have a strat that is fat and huge and warm enough for jazz. A guitar with 2 humbuckers should be able to pull off big fat rock tones, but may not sound good in any other context. Strats and teles can sound thin, and sometimes just sound weak when you push them through overdrive.

My advice - find an instrument that feels good and plays well in your hands, then start tweaking your rig to make it sound the way you want it. Amps make a huge difference to the way a guitar sounds too, and a great guitar through a lousy amp will never sound good.

If you like the idea of a tele for rock, look up Greg Koch on youtube.

I'd go a Les Paul type, twin humbuckers, or even a HSH format. It all depends on your budget. The PRS SE are good, but they have quite shallow necks, I had a custom double cut semi hollow. Sounded good, but not fat like a Les Paul. The higher priced Epiphones are very good, the Slash and the Ultras feel and sound superb according the to reviews I've read. Yamaha have some great models, a S/H SG 200 or a SG 500 could suit you to a tee, a bargain for what you get and they sound fat, and they do jazz and heavy rock beautifully, they have a coil tap too which the LP usually doesn't and that makes it very versatile. They feel like Les Pauls and the necks are lovely and comfy, reasonably chunky too. If you can stretch budget to an SG2000 it will probably be a treasure for you.

SG200

SG2000

But buy secondhand, and try first if you possibly can.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358100311' post='1933137']
I'd go a Les Paul type, twin humbuckers, or even a HSH format. It all depends on your budget. The PRS SE are good, but they have quite shallow necks, I had a custom double cut semi hollow. Sounded good, but not fat like a Les Paul. The higher priced Epiphones are very good, the Slash and the Ultras feel and sound superb according the to reviews I've read. Yamaha have some great models, a S/H SG 200 or a SG 500 could suit you to a tee, a bargain for what you get and they sound fat, and they do jazz and heavy rock beautifully, they have a coil tap too which the LP usually doesn't and that makes it very versatile. They feel like Les Pauls and the necks are lovely and comfy, reasonably chunky too. If you can stretch budget to an SG2000 it will probably be a treasure for you.

SG200

SG2000

But buy secondhand, and try first if you possibly can.
[/quote]

If that floats your boat there is this [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/194136-yamaha-sg400-mij-1985ish/page__hl__yamaha+sg__fromsearch__1"]one[/url] on here. They are exceptional guitars, very full on, huge sound and Luke's one is great value for money IMHO (and I have absolutely nothing to do with it)!

By the way Nige, what's the one in the case - is it contoured at the front like a Gibson SG?

Edited by Mykesbass

Cheers Nigel,

You've hit the nail on the head there; I prefer chunky/wide necks because I have stubby fingers and wide hands. I just dont want to end up with something too small otherwise I'll find it difficult to to play complex chord sequences such as I am want to do sometimes!

It's handy knowing now that LP's have chunky necks and that Tele's tend to have similar dimensions to Strats. Obviously a massive over-generalisation, but should help in my search for a main guitar.

Truckstop

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1358102355' post='1933180']
If that floats your boat there is this [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/194136-yamaha-sg400-mij-1985ish/page__hl__yamaha+sg__fromsearch__1"]one[/url] on here. They are exceptional guitars, very full on, huge sound and Luke's one is great value for money IMHO (and I have absolutely nothing to do with it)!

By the way Nige, what's the one in the case - is it contoured at the front like a Gibson SG?
[/quote]

That's an SG200 mate, they're not contoured.

I wish I'd not looked at this thread, I've got SG2000 GAS now :D

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358105495' post='1933257']
That's an SG200 mate, they're not contoured.

I wish I'd not looked at this thread, I've got SG2000 GAS now :D
[/quote]

They are a bit special, however, I couldn't get on with mine - couldn't tame it it was just so full on!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1358105924' post='1933264']
They are a bit special, however, I couldn't get on with mine - couldn't tame it it was just so full on!
[/quote]

Roll off the volume controls a touch. You're right that they are full on though. I have a gorgeous Strat, but I'd love an SG2000 as its partner, perfect foil.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1358105210' post='1933249']
.... chunky/wide necks because I have stubby fingers and wide hands.
Truckstop
[/quote]

A very good point to bear in mind. I also have little hands that are stubby. Narrow neck guitars are just too hard too play, insufficient space for my fingers.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1358106094' post='1933268']
Roll off the volume controls a touch. You're right that they are full on though. I have a gorgeous Strat, but I'd love an SG2000 as its partner, perfect foil.
[/quote]

:lol:

Never been that sort of guitarist, but seriously, it was just completely unmanagable with my DeVille 410. Still loved it to bits and it was seriously amazing unplugged, just so much resonance. I guess I just didn't play the appropriate musical style for it. It was the 30th Anniversary model of the 2000, stunning sunburst, oh stop, I'm starting to miss it!!

I had a DeVille 410 too, lovely sounding cleans.

I always used to think that controlling the guitar with the volume was a real pro thing to do :) But it's a lovely way to play, especially on Fender guitars. EVH was damn right, the volume is actually a tone control.

Get thee down to a decent guitar shop, take your amp unless you're thinking of replacing it, and get playing. Not all guitars, even the same model are created equal, so play the ones in your price range and when you find the one you like by it. The temptation is always to go home, go online, and buy it for less. Doesn't always work, because not all guitars were created equal :) . Been there, decided the model I wanted but didn't buy it, went into another guitar shop, saw the same model, tried it and it stank!

The other temptation is to go to yet another shop because they may have something "better". This is a good way never to buy a guitar (been there as well).

If you find one that does what you want, feels right, is the right price (is you can afford it) then why waste more time?

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

You should try a Fender baja telecaster or a 52 reissue telecaster - they both have large U shaped necks. I have an Eric Johnson strat and that too has a large soft V neck. As for stubby fingers, standard model Gibsons have a slenderer nut than standard Fenders. Theoretically you've more room on a Fender. If I was going for a Gibson I'd get a 335 with a chunky 59 neck (also on the 339). Tokai do a nice 335 copy which has a chunky style neck also.

You know how much you liked old Ibanez blazer/roadstar basses?
Well, guess what?

The old pre-84 Ibby RS and Blazers are flipping brilliant, total strat-killers. One of my very favourite geetars is an Ibanez SB-70 from 1982. I gutted it and put P90s in it, but it was good enough before that. (Rare as rocking-horse s^&t though it would seem)
feels more solid and sounds more massive than fenders do, and you can get a gibsonish squeal out of it too.
Neck decently chunky, and sound halfway between a tele and an SG.