Why become a member? ×

Sennheiser Earphones - Mine keep breaking

xilddx

I've had a couple of pairs of the in-ear jobies, and I've been disappointed with them - both in the sound and build quality.

I've a couple of pairs of their proper headphones though, which I really like - one pair must be 20 years old now, and still going strong.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1357677796' post='1926682']
I'm really pissed off about it. The moulded sleeves on the minijack keep splitting and f***ing them up. They aren't cheap either.
[/quote]

Always the 'kin way!!! :angry:
Had one of them lying around since LAST Xmas when I got my new ones. Binned it just a couple of months ago thinking I'd not need it again - it didn't fit the new pair. You could have had it if it was the right one! Sorry Nige!

I've always found high end-ish hi-fi companies helpful; I once asked Marantz for a new battery cover for a remote & they send me the whole new remote. Could be worth dropping them a line? Monckyman's suggestion is a good one too - the extra rubber will protect it too.

Sorry to hear your earphones are on the blink Silddx , but not at all surprised . In my experience most headphones and earphones are prone to breaking in one way or another , and I am including some very expensive models in that too . I have extensive experience of several Sennheiser models , and I have always liked the sound of them but had several occasions where the robustness of the design ( or lack therof ) has been dissapointing .

Firstly , are you aware that Sennheiser products have a two year warranty in the U.K ? If you still have any reasonable proof of purchase , including a credit card reciept or debit card transaction , that should be enough to get you a repacement set or in certain cases a warranty repair at the very least . Contact the retailer and if you don't get any joy speak to Sennheiser UK and let them know your repeat dissatisfaction . Personally , I would do that even if I couldn't find the reciept or if they were out of warranty . As you say , they ain't cheap , and any half decent company should get behind their products . Put them to the test .

The headphones I rely on from day to day are Sennheisers , but by trial and error I managed to find a design from their range that is fairly bulletproof and they have , thankfully , lasted years with no problems at all so they can make them to last if they try ! If , as I suspect , we are talking about in-ear phones then I think most designs are fairly fragile , but in the world of full size headphones I have always found that other doyen of German headphone manufactures , Beyerdynamic , to be built to last far more than most other brands .

I really like the Sennheiser in ear headphones but they do break all the time.

I just bought some of [url="http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/reading/Dynergy/14680134?nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_1_0_0_1&a=182"]these[/url] off of Groupon. They're pretty nice, ot my ear don't sound quite as good but there's not a lot in it and much more robust.

I'm really pissed off about it. The moulded sleeves on the minijack keep splitting and f***ing them up. They aren't cheap either.
[/quote]

What model have you got? I use CX400-ii and they're fine. (£20ish on eBay)

Picked up a pair of Sennheiser 201's for general use last year under £20. Wasn't expecting much but they are in fact really good value. No sign of anything breaking yet. My pet peeve with all the non in-ear designs is they seem to have gone back to the 70's/80's with the big ear enclosures. I always liked the simple Sennheiser designs with an open 'flat' speaker with a thin yellow foam sheet over it. Didn't find them uncomfortable and you don't get horribly sweaty ears in the summer!

Edited by KevB

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

I have no receipt so I can't get them sorted under warranty or whatever. Although I will be making my feelings known to Sennheiser. I have CX300 and i300, same problem on both.

I will go with another manufacturer, but after a look at Amazon reviews of all sorts, I am completely lost :) iGrado looked good but they apparently leak noise and I hate people with leaky headphones.

Cheers.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1357825162' post='1928997']
Headphones always break IMHO . Shops refer to take faulty ones back.
[/quote]

I heard the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]B&W C5's I mentioned earlier because a friend was about to take them back as a cable had become intermittent in the first couple of months of use. He went into the Apple store, said "new ones please" and presto there they were. £150 earphones there.[/font][/color]

[/quote]

I've had the same problem with every pair of earphones I've ever owned. Sennheisers have been the best so far but even still, I normally only get about 6-12 months use out of them. I suppose i'm not very careful with them, I usually have my iPod in my pocket so this must put a fair amount of strain on the jack. When you're paying £30+ on them though you would expect them to be a bit more durable.

If you find a reasonably priced alternative, please do share.

Paul

After having the same problem with the last two pairs of Sennheiser in ears I bought a pair of Klipsch Image X1's.
They're really very good and are a year in with some heavy use showing no signs of breaking. They seem to be £33 on Amazon now but I picked mine up for around £20 so I guess they fluctuate?

[quote name='gilmour' timestamp='1357735096' post='1927391']
I really like the Sennheiser in ear headphones but they do break all the time.

I just bought some of [url="http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/reading/Dynergy/14680134?nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_1_0_0_1&a=182"]these[/url] off of Groupon. They're pretty nice, ot my ear don't sound quite as good but there's not a lot in it and much more robust.
[/quote]

I did some research and found prices for these online of between 4 and 10 quid, so the groupon deal seems a bit off. But if they sounds good then that's the important thing :)

Edited by jackers

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1357832210' post='1929219']
I have had a pair of CX300's for about 6 years, used daily. My brother has gone through 3 sets in the same amount of time.
[/quote]

Likewise, mine broke about a month ago after 2 years of almost daily use but I read a lot about other peoples lasting a very short space of time.

I've replaced them with a pair of Soundmagic e10's which are a step up in terms of sound quality and come with (I think) 7 different rubber earpieces. Too early to say how reliable they are though.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1357841492' post='1929433']
Likewise, mine broke about a month ago after 2 years of almost daily use but I read a lot about other peoples lasting a very short space of time.

I've replaced them with a pair of Soundmagic e10's which are a step up in terms of sound quality and come with (I think) 7 different rubber earpieces. Too early to say how reliable they are though.
[/quote]

My brother is actually on his 4th pair - the first lasted a few years, the second a year and the third a few months. Maybe they're getting worse :lol: