Why become a member? ×

Thomann Premium Leather Gigbag - Review

Truckstop

Just thought some of you might find this useful.

So, I don't really have a need for hardcases; I find most of them ill-fitting, heavy, unwieldy and unattractive. Instantly put off iGiG and Mono etc by the price I came across the Thomann premium range while looking at other sh*t on their site.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_premium_gigbag_e_bass_br.htm

Now, I've used plenty of Thomann brand stuff before and 9 times out of ten it's excellent value for money and in many cases punching well above weight. I was hoping that these gigbags would be of the same pith and vinegar the rest of the Thomann stuff is made of.

First impressions:

Looks to be pretty good quality leather(ex); vibrant tan colour, sexy discreet pockets, heavy duty zips, plenty of padding and surprisingly lightweight.

Use:

Initially I thought I'd ordered the guitar version by accident because it looked a little small; actually fits my basses perfectly. The ESH is a pretty big bass and the gigbag swallows it up perfectly. No room to manoeuvre at all, a lovely snug fit! The neck brace is well designed as it accommodates a five string comfortably as well as a standard four. So I guess I can comfortably say that it fits Precisions and Jazzes !

Pockets:

I managed to cram 3x10m cables, 3xregular size pedals, two bass books,folder,power supply, set of strings, a multitool and a spare shirt in all the pockets. Awesome.

Value for money:

Well, I bought two at €28 (£23?) each and I could not be happier. Really heavy duty, perfect fit, great classic looks (leather(ex) strap's a nice touch), plenty of padding and loads of storage.

Hope you find this useful! Will get some pics up soon!

Truckstop

[sub]Without wishing to appear pedantic, is it actually Leather? The listing calls it Leathertex and when I look at the price, it can't be real leather, can it?[/sub]

[sub]Just seen you have called it leatherex in your review....[/sub]

Edited by yorks5stringer

• 2 weeks later...

Perfect. Buy with confidence. You cant go wrong. Inexpensive, quality and great protection. Thanks for the heads up. My only comment is that the inside material seems a bit thinner compared to what I would expect but to fair, the at risk points (e.g. at the point of the machine heads) there is thicker material.

It's £23. I've seen worse gig bags at £80.

Edited by EBS_freak

• 1 month later...

There's no comparison really. If I'd the money, I would have gone for the Contego. If offers better protection for your instrument, more support when you wear it on your back (better straps and the like) and has more storage space.

But I doubt you'd find anything better for the pricepoint here; certainly not something that looks quite so sexy!

Alex

Contego is way ahead. The Thomann bag is good for the money, but the plastic leather material isn't that durable (mine has a few cracks at stress points after two years of light use) and the zip isn't that great. Two things about the Contego - its fairly large (but easy to use as a backpack) and the zip seems a bit feeble compared to the overall design.

Edit: My age must be showing - had a look just now and can't see any cracks in the plastic leather material - either they are self repairing, or my eyesight is going..or my memory!

Edited by BassBod

• 1 year later...

Year and a half later my gig bag is still going strong after really heavy use (done at least 150 gigs since January 2013). Obviously a few scuffs but all the padding's still intact, strap still attached and strong, no rips anywhere in or out of the bag and all the zips still work just fine.

Best value for money I think I've ever got out of anything, ever!

Truckstop

• 4 years later...