Why become a member? ×

Picks slipping while playing

Brian Ludwig

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1357646987' post='1925822']
Why is the answer to go out and buy something?

Use sandpaper to rough up the pick.
[/quote]

This.
Last time I went buying picks I bought about 50 ready sanded ones (Dunlop I think) for only 1p more than the plain versions. Was once a sufferer of slipped picks with my sweaty hands, but not had a slip in yonks.

Planet Waves do 'Pick Rite' and 'Sure Picks' both with moulded rubber grips and also 'Adjustable Insert Picks' that allow you, as the name suggests, to insert a pick of your choice in to a rubber sleeve. Also, alternative materials and grips such as NylFlex and Delflex plectrums use a 'finish' to grip on to. I have to say that I've been pretty pleased with these.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwPicks.Page?ActiveID=4099

[quote name='SteveO' timestamp='1358445867' post='1939397']

This.
Last time I went buying picks I bought about 50 ready sanded ones (Dunlop I think) for only 1p more than the plain versions. Was once a sufferer of slipped picks with my sweaty hands, but not had a slip in yonks.
[/quote]

I can imagine someone sitting sanding picks then selling them on at a 1p profit :-D

I've tried a few:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibanez-Plectrums-1-0mm-Blister-Black/dp/B004CYEPEM
The Ibanez with the 'sandpaper' sides, not bad, but could use a coarser grit

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plectrum-Dava-Grip-Tip-Pack/dp/B00154OJOI/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1358452234&sr=1-1
Dava, with the rubbery sides. The rubber itself is not that grippy, but there are three ridges on each side that save the day. Average.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunlop-III-Picks-Plectrum-CARBON/dp/B003MXE4JU
Dunlop max grip. Textured sides. Pretty damned good.

http://www.greatbigmusic.com/
Cactus Picks. Textured sides, this time almost spiky. the grippiest of the lot.

I'm not sure where I got the Cactus Pick, I just found one in my wee plectrum tin.

Btw - the vast majority of the time, I play finger style!

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='DB13' timestamp='1358167842' post='1934029']
I've always had this problem, I've tried that Gorilla snot - I found it to be completely useless to be honest. Sand paper picks have been the best for me to date, but I might give these 'Pick Bags' a go and see how they fair.
[/quote]Once you've tried them you will not want or need anything else and they last for ages ! Let me know how you get on and what you think of them.
Cheers
Brian

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1358459035' post='1939757']
Ive found the more ive used picks the less they slip. I think there must be something in the technique that develops naturally as it doesnt really happen anymore
[/quote]

+1

I find that the less I think about it, and grip the pick like there's no tomorrow, the less It tries to get away.

[quote name='danthevan' timestamp='1358453536' post='1939606']
Ever tried a thumb pick?
[/quote]

I used to use them all the time, but it had to be a certain type, trimmed to size - i forget which. Very handy for switching to tapping, as you'd never drop ir have to put the pick down when switching technique. Though it did get in the way for slappage! Lol

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1358459035' post='1939757']
Ive found the more ive used picks the less they slip. I think there must be something in the technique that develops naturally as it doesnt really happen anymore
[/quote]

This. The harder you grip the more it slips for some reason.

I go for medium tortex, green ones. Loose grip, relaxed wrist, let it flow....

Best picks I've found are George Dennis Sharp Picks - both because they have a patterned grip surface and I personally like sharp picks much better than rounded.

They are getting hard to find though... I always order them in from canada via ebay, you have to buy in 10s but they work out about 40p each.

0.88mm is a good weight if you like a bit of twang
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/George-Dennis-Guitar-Picks-Sharp-0-88mm-/260940463717?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_210&hash=item3cc1437e65

but I'm liking heavier too so I've just ordered 1.30mm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/George-Dennis-Guitar-Picks-Sharp-1-30mm-Pack-of-10-Picks-/251094654424?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_210&hash=item3a76685dd8

I agree with the point re. the better your technique the less it slips. You need to get your grip correct!

I've seen a couple of comments re my involvement with the company that sells Pick Bags. Let me assure everyone that I in no way am involved with the company. I am in Scotland and the company is in Germany ! I have spoken to the owner via Facebook and that is all. Its just that I found the product so good after trying it that I felt everyone who had a similiar problem to me would want to know about it and that is the sum and total of my involvement. I did write to Bass Guitar magazine who contacted the company direct for a review of the Pick Bag and this hopefully will come out soon and show that what I've said up to now is true. Hopefully this clears up the idea that I am either part of the company of getting paid for writing this. I GENUINELY believe totally in this product and have to date BOUGHT 12 of these units and would not consider playing without them.
Thanks to all who commented.
Brian

Edited by Brian Ludwig

Welcome to Basschat Brian, you might get a less suspicious response if you introduce yourself on the Introductions forum :) Oh and don't put a "pickbag" in your avatar, but a picture says a thousand words about yourself too!

To the OP I prefer just not letting go of the pick.
I used to lose them every couple of songs until someone pointed out I was holding it wrong, now I play with very smooth picks (the black Gibson kind) and I never drop them - I can also trem pick on a bass now too - the right technique is your friend, the hundreds of products that compensate for poor technique are not.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1358290987' post='1936686']
Agreed the Dava ones are only a bit grippy. Have you got a link to the pick bag please?
[/quote]I found them on Ebay - if you do a search for 'The Pick Bag' then that should find it. I now have 12 of these on different size/weight picks and love them. FYI I am 65 years old and have absolutely no connection with the company other than being 'friends' with the maker on Facebook - this is strictly my own judgment on a wonderful product.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1359109249' post='1949913']
Welcome to Basschat Brian, you might get a less suspicious response if you introduce yourself on the Introductions forum :) Oh and don't put a "pickbag" in your avatar, but a picture says a thousand words about yourself too!

To the OP I prefer just not letting go of the pick.
I used to lose them every couple of songs until someone pointed out I was holding it wrong, now I play with very smooth picks (the black Gibson kind) and I never drop them - I can also trem pick on a bass now too - the right technique is your friend, the hundreds of products that compensate for poor technique are not.
[/quote]Thanks for the feedback. How do I go about introducting myself on this forum - any help appreciated as I'm 65 years old now and getting a bit 'dittery' !

Hi there, I'm not long on the forum, basically joined for hints, tips and advice.

I'm a guitar player ( I'll get my coat now ) of 35 years and have played in various types of bands, Country , Rock, Pop, Covers and I want; now Iv'e stopped gigging; to try and pick up some bass...it's intrigued me for years.

Anyway...to the point...as a fellow sweater, the method I used involved the drummer I played with...when he finished smoking his cigarette I would get him slowly to stubb it out on the part of the plectrum I would grip.

Picks aren't that expensive, especially if they're past their best...so try it out it may be the solution for you...melted tortured plastic is the way to go

[b][color=#ff0000]WARNING :[/color][/b] [b]SMOKING CIGARETTES CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR HEALTH[/b]...but improve your playing.

[quote name='Brian Ludwig' timestamp='1359283625' post='1952367']
Thanks for the feedback. How do I go about introducting myself on this forum - any help appreciated as I'm 65 years old now and getting a bit 'dittery' !
[/quote]
Hi Brian, if you go to the main page and look for the introductions sub-forum, you can say "Hi" there :) but you're 11 posts in now so I reckon you're getting the hang of it. We're a friendly bunch on here really, some more sarcastic than others, but don't take it personally :)