Why become a member? ×

spot light on Mark Griffiths

deepbass5

Thought I would share the joy I have experienced getting down to learn three shadows numbers over Christmas.
I didn't know who Mark Griffiths was until my YouTube searches. You may know him from the production of the Sue Ryder Bass as that was his project.
I know most of you do appreciate a good Jobbing musician who plays what is needed, solid and reliable. Although these bass lines are not new to our ears and in most part not his own, he does make them fresh and has a great tone and I love how they always seem to have the bass forward in the mix. Over 15 years in the Shads must be doing something right
So I'll leave you with my current favourite which I have now learned note for note and every little skip as well. Enjoy A true pro

What Bass is he playing now, I'm sure i have seen him with a red Nordy, is it a Ryder or has fender found him one ?

[media]http://youtu.be/iQkoR46gpy8[/media]

Edited by deepbass5

• 1 year later...

I'm no Shads fan but I just watched the Everly Brothers' reunion concert currently on BBC iPlayer, googled Mark Griffiths, and spookily enough ended up here on this BC thread.

So lovely to hear a straight, for-the-song bass player, doing cool and correct stuff even in 1983, when all bands made mistakes (keyboard sounds.. ouch).

No bass histrionics, just the tunes, but what a huge seat of the pants gig… Royal Albert Hall, fervent crowd, classic tunes. Have a listen… if Don and Phil's voices don't kill you, ya need to get in touch with your spiritual side...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03txrsz/Arena_The_Everly_Brothers_Reunion_Concert/

Thanks KK
suprised to see this pop up in my content box a year on, But just listened to the Everly's Thank you, I've played a few of these numbers over the years but "Let it be Me" just melts you dont it.

Cheers I wasn't aware Mark had done this gig. Albert Lee was a real pro there in the background, wouldn't be suprised if it was him who talked them into getting back together and offering to put a band together.

• 1 year later...

As I type this I'm watching The Shadows Final Tour 2004 (what was then the Cardiff International Arena).

You can't fail to be impressed with Mark's playing. He really is a great all rounder! To be fair, the whole band are really good.

Great articulation, sound, great use of the pick...lovin' this Sky Arts program.

I had never heared of Mark Griffiths before this, but now I will be looking out for his work.

• 6 years later...

In Louisville, Kentucky (1984 or 5) I met a British bassist who was playing with the Everly Brothers. He comped our whole band tickets for the Everly’s concert. 
Could this have been Mark Griffiths? 
At that time, the EBs had Albert, Larry Londin, and Buddy Emmons in the band, though I was too young to really appreciate that.

John England

On 06/04/2015 at 09:19, Hobbayne said:

I believe he took over from the guy who electrocuted himself. Cant remember his name but he replaced Jet Harris I understand.

John Rostill was the poor guy who was electrocuted in his studio.

Then I think Alan Tarney might have held the bass role in The Shadows before Mark G.