Why become a member? ×

Which tuner!

ThomBassmonkey

Sorry, I'm sure this has been done before but I thought I'd start up a new thread specific to me!

I've been without a decent tuner for far too long, my DTR is in a rack with the head I very rarely use any more and the clip on ones aren't reliable enough in loud environments on a B (and often the E) string.

I'm looking for a pedal tuner, rugged as it WILL get thrown about at some point, as accurate as possible as I do setups sometimes, something that can be seen on as many stages as possible (both dark and sunny), chromatic and true bypass.

The ones that have caught my eye (and I've seen recommended a lot) are the TC Polytune, SR Turbo Tuner and Korg Pitch Black. Has anyone used all, any or any others and have any recommendations?

Thanks very much!

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1357401384' post='1922141']
Boss TU2 or 3.
[/quote]

I don't like the Boss tuners. In my experience they've been horribly inaccurate (my bass has been more out of tune after using the tuner than before on more than one occasion) and difficult to tune with. The guitarist in my band has one and I never like using it. The previous ones I've used have all been the same. I don't know if the TU3 is better, but the TU2 has put me right off them.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1357401950' post='1922157']
I don't like the Boss tuners. In my experience they've been horribly inaccurate (my bass has been more out of tune after using the tuner than before on more than one occasion) and difficult to tune with. The guitarist in my band has one and I never like using it. The previous ones I've used have all been the same. I don't know if the TU3 is better, but the TU2 has put me right off them.
[/quote]

I'd have said a TU-3. Whilst I've not used any of the ones that have caught your eye and fully expect the SR to be technically better for accuracy, I've done setups with my TU-3 which have been checked against a Peterson afterwards and found to be basically dead-on. For live use it's much quicker to 'lock on' to a note than the TU-2 was (as-fast if not faster than the DTR) and has an extra bright setting for the LEDs so you can usually see it.

I really like the Sonic Research Turbo. Accurate and quick and really easy to read. A little pricey but they can be picked up second hand now and then.

PS Let me me know if you're thinking of shifting the DTR.

I've got a TC polytune mini and think its absolutely fantastic. Though, these days it rarely gets used as my TC head has a built in tuner too.

In regards to the setups, it's amazing, I've used on my and when installing bass xtenders and it does the job a treat.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1357430302' post='1922697']
I've got a TC polytune mini and think its absolutely fantastic. Though, these days it rarely gets used as my TC head has a built in tuner too.

In regards to the setups, it's amazing, I've used on my and when installing bass xtenders and it does the job a treat.
[/quote]

Hi! :hi:

+1

Quick update on this:

I used the Polytune at a gig last night and couldn't be happier. I can see the polytune mode without my glasses on (my sight isn't terrible, but it's bad enough that I can't easily read things on the floor) and the two dots make up for the fact it's a bit blurry (if anything's out, the wider size makes it more obvious what). In single string mode (which it changes to automatically) it's perfectly clear. Polytune mode is great for clicking on then spending 5 seconds checking that you're all in tune (it's not as accurate as single string mode but it's more accurate than other tuners I've used anyway).

Otherwise there's nothing really exceptional, it just seemed solid. I was in tune, it muted when I pressed it, the bypass worked, definitely no complaints.

As for Boss tuners, just because they're the standard, it doesn't make them the best. On [url=http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1046]their own product page[/url] it says they're accurate to +/- 1 cent.the polytune (in single string mode) is accurate to +/- 0.5 cent. A brief look at the prices on google shows them at about the same, it's a no-brainer to go for the more accurate tuner that has a polyphonic mode and true bypass over the one that has no benefits IMO.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1358033052' post='1932264']
As for Boss tuners, just because they're the standard, it doesn't make them the best. On [url="http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1046"]their own product page[/url] it says they're accurate to +/- 1 cent.the polytune (in single string mode) is accurate to +/- 0.5 cent. A brief look at the prices on google shows them at about the same, it's a no-brainer to go for the more accurate tuner that has a polyphonic mode and true bypass over the one that has no benefits IMO.
[/quote]

+1 :hi:

• 1 month later...

Love the Korg. Not too pricey and saves so much frustration for quick tuning while the guitarists are doing their incessant widdling. As a sax player, I downloaded the gStrings app for android and I'm very impressed. It picks up the tuning notes from the instrument or the amp and isn't phased by all the extraneous noise going on around.

I have a tu2, pitchblack, and polytune mini
The only thing the poly mini doesn't support with regard to bass is the polyphonic tuning. Single string stuff is still perfect. I use this one for my function and pub bands
For one of my bands I use the pitchblack, as it has a courtesy 9v out, and I can use that for an extra pedal ;)
The tu2 is my back up. Still a great tuner though

Edited by dudewheresmybass