Why become a member? ×

Finding my ultimate Jazz

jjay69

OK Here's the background. I've had the Fender American deluxe jazz 4 for just over a year now (it was my ultimate GAS bass) and have made an effort to use this and this only continuously since then to make sure i got comfortable with it before making any rash descisions. But i've always had niggling doubts.

Yesterday i cracked and picked up my trusty old G&L tribute L2000 and everything felt "good" again, more space, freedom, creativity and clean, clear notes possibly due to the string spacings (but not quite the sounds i came to love from the Jazz). I was afraid this might happen.

So, the question is, can i possibly find a jazz style bass to fit my needs ? it would need this lot to be perfect.

1. Jazz style body
2. That "Jazz" sound, particularly both pickups on and the classic neck pickup sound with nice punchy, round tone
3. Neck (the big issue) - slightly wider and flatter than the classic Jazz C shape with slightly flatter frets than the usual Fender curve ? and nice low action possiblilties. Rosewood fingerboard.
4. Block inlays would be lovely bonus
5. Must be active / passive
6. 3 band EQ - I do use the mid a fair bit.
7. Electronics - would be nice to have separate volumes for the pickups to be able to "blend" tones (i have this on my modified P and it's a real bonus)

I've been eyeing up Sandbergs for a while now, but maybe Mayones or Overwaters or ... ??

I'll be on the hunt then, if anyone fancies my American Deluxe complete with case and paperwork pm me.

Looking to spend around £1-1.2k less if poss

All suggestions greatly received.

Lastly - uploading pics to this site could be easier, really guys come on..

Edited by jjay69

Another option... get another G&L L2000 and stick a new body on it with Jazz pups- If that is the neck that feels "home" for you then maybe that's the answer?
(second thought, how close to a jazz sound can a L2000 get, you can do single coil can't you?)

My previous encounter with a jazz was a Fender custom shop with the 18v electronics and noiseless pickups.
It was an incredible instrument and if it wasn't for my compulsion to keep changing gear and play as many different basses as I can in as short a space of time as possible it would still be here. There wasn't anything you couldn't so with it as far as I was concerned.
You may be able to pick up a 2nd hand version within your budget and it would be a considerable investment. I am currently looking to acquire a fender usa 4 str jazz but my current budget probably will mean that I will have to wait and save more or earn more points with the pursestring holder.

I would seriously consider talking to Jon Shuker

He would be able to tailor a j bass to your specifications and preferences.

[url]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/jbassgallery.html[/url]

Something from his classic range would probably come in around the 1300 ish mark.

Just food for thought

:)

From what you've described as far as requirements and the sort of feel, etc, you're after, it sounds like a Sandberg California TM or TT would be right up your street! Definitely worth you trying one if you can get your hands on one.

I have played dozens, owned only two over 16yrs and I have still haven't 'the one'. I like the Fender Deluxe I have right now, but its still not hitting the mark for me. I really don't know why I haven't found one that will stand the test of time with me. I love J basses...I really do and it bugs me that one hasn't lasted more than a year in my collection.

Shuker has already been mentioned and I am still on the verge on ordering a J from him myself.

Did you try a the redesigned jazzbass by G&L : the JB2 ? Leo improved its creation.

Some links that i found :
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/90528-gl-jb-2-tribute-opinions-please/

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/82225-gl-jb2/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/g-l-jb-2-vs-fender-jazz-thoughts-595064/

I Like jazzes too but I prefer a fatter neck, I posted about jazzes with p type necks but got nothing back, jazz necks on p's is more common it seems?

Bizzarely the only bass I've found is a cheap entry level aria STB-JB, only 150 new, I'm scanning eBay to see what pops up, be cheap way to find if the idea works, and I've nothing against a cheap WELL set up bass!

[quote name='ZenBasses' timestamp='1357413776' post='1922413']
I would seriously consider talking to Jon Shuker

He would be able to tailor a j bass to your specifications and preferences.

[url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/jbassgallery.html"]http://www.shukergui...assgallery.html[/url]

Something from his classic range would probably come in around the 1300 ish mark.

Just food for thought

:)
[/quote] isn't it daft (and awesome) that a bass hand built in the UK for you to order costs a tiny bit more than a run of the mill Fender USA? I know which one I would want!
[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1357427296' post='1922656']
I Like jazzes too but I prefer a fatter neck, I posted about jazzes with p type necks but got nothing back, jazz necks on p's is more common it seems?

Bizzarely the only bass I've found is a cheap entry level aria STB-JB, only 150 new, I'm scanning eBay to see what pops up, be cheap way to find if the idea works, and I've nothing against a cheap WELL set up bass!
[/quote] I picked up my jazz (see my thread in the builds section) with a slightly thinner than normal P neck on it. It's great :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1357389084' post='1921920']
Another option... get another G&L L2000 and stick a new body on it with Jazz pups- If that is the neck that feels "home" for you then maybe that's the answer?
(second thought, how close to a jazz sound can a L2000 get, you can do single coil can't you?)
[/quote]

Nice idea but i don't think im up for building my own. It's true the L2000 is a "Tone Monster" and can do damn good impressions of most good basses, when i listen back to recordings with the Jazz, that sound is something special.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1357409788' post='1922335']
Sounds like you want a Rosewood board Marcus Miller with an East preamp.
[/quote]

Oooh a Marcus, now thats interesting, will need more investigation.

Shukers wow, now they look tasty !, Sandbergs (im really liking this idea, but what about that 3 band eq ?? and not so easy to get to try one, i went all the way to Guitar Guitar Surrey once to find they had none in stock), lots of good ideas so far to keep in a state of mental confusion.

Edited by jjay69

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1357409788' post='1922335']
Sounds like you want a Rosewood board Marcus Miller with an East preamp.
[/quote]Fender dont make a MM with a rosewood board... there awsome with the east preamp though.. i would check out a Lakland JO4, or the new Lakland 44- AJ.. that bass sounds just up your street

Edited by bubinga5