Why become a member? ×

Just D.I.Y'ed my own board!

Fender_Greg

So, I wasn't too keen on the prices of a pedalboard out there and decided to go my own way about it. Of course I looked around and found some examples of D.I.Y jobs and it lead me on this journey.
I apologize for the size of pics, I took them straight off my phone.

1. I ordered some "Gorm shelves" from Ikea, only £7 plus P&P. Wehn they came they looked like this:

2. Started getting the pedal bug and went off buying too much from here on BC! Once I Bought a few I gave them a quick go on the whole shelf to get a feeler:

3. After that I cut it down and painted it. I was far too impatient to find some sort of case to get a proper size of board but I'll worry about that another day!

4. I bought some velcro off of eBay, only a meter and only 25mm so I had to order more but this time 50mm and the board looked like this!

I was pretty damn chuffed really, it looks awesome! I may get some rubber feet for the bottom of it but otherwise I don't think I need to do too much else :)

Anyway this is the final set up, well maybe. I'm unsure of the order to put it all in at the moment and the Q-tron is getting replaced with the Enigma Q Balls!

I got the input now into the tuner and then the Q-tron going into the compressor then that into the MXR, Behringer then out.
All in all the board cost about £15! and the Gorm shelves come in packs of two, so I can either make a bigger board (bad idea!) or a mini one for 3, maybe 4 pedals to be daisy chained on

[quote name='Commando Jack' timestamp='1357333680' post='1921375']
Didn't happen to find this on TDPRI by any chance?

Still, excellent board, well done :)
[/quote]

Yeah I saw that, Couldn't get the extra wood to raise the board though but it is big enough without it!
That and the cheap SoundLab PSU is HUGE!
Definitely a great way to do a board

Edited by Fender_Greg

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1357551136' post='1924183']
i just did exactly the same thing a couple of days ago! built myself a lovely double tiered board from the ikea gorm shelves and sprayed it black!

worked great so im going to build another one this weekend
[/quote]

Excellent stuff! they're just so easy and damn quality! :D

[quote name='Stroopy121' timestamp='1357651597' post='1925980']
How's that power supply? Any issues with noise or anything?

xx
[/quote]

No nothing as of yet. It's been great to start with but I'm more then sure I'll have to get something with a bit more output later.
I got my enigma q balls in the loop now and if I turn on the power supply with that plugged in it goes a bit weird. But if I turn on on then plug in the enigma theres no problems which is strange, although I'm surprised this is working cuz the enigma needs 200ma

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Stroopy121' timestamp='1357651597' post='1925980']
How's that power supply? Any issues with noise or anything?

xx
[/quote]
I have one of those power supplies - and it's simply terrible! Very noisy on any more than one pedal, and it just stopped working mid-rehearsal. There's a little 500mA fuse inside that decided to go pop. Even though it was only powering two pedals at the time!

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1360866138' post='1977675']

I have one of those power supplies - and it's simply terrible! Very noisy on any more than one pedal, and it just stopped working mid-rehearsal. There's a little 500mA fuse inside that decided to go pop. Even though it was only powering two pedals at the time!
[/quote]

I got 6 pedals on it at the moment and although they aren't all on at once I havent got any bad noise. I'm fully expecting to kill it though cuz I'm well aware how cheap its built