Why become a member? ×

Am I a musician, or do I just have a good memory?

thebrig

I'd say you were a bass player, that's not necessarily the same thing as being a musician though.

I can 'play' keyboards, but I don't class myself as being a keyboard player, I simply don't have the necessary technical ability for that, same with guitar.

I don't think that learning a bass part from whatever source, be it TAB or a how to play video on youtube makes you a musician. It's not just the knowing how to, it's also the knowing 'why'.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1357495658' post='1923537']
What's 'a bit of theory' and what's 'a lot of theory' exactly?
[/quote]

What I meant was :

I know people who 'just play', much like the OP - and they're usually pretty good at what they do.

Then I know people who can sight read, know how many sharps / flats are in a scale and will correct you if you say 'G#' when it should be 'A♭'... but those people usually have trouble with various aspects that I consider basic, even though I'm not a theory hound. They also often have more trouble trying something new than the 'just do it' people.

And the people I know who know a lot more - Who can arrange a horn part on paper without even hearing the piece, and who are happy to move from one 'theory' to another as applicable to different musical styles, as well as understanding what ideas are truly fundamental - and who tie it all together by being active composers or performers - those are the kind of people who knock my socks off.

Not really trying to imply anything by this other than it's my experience, and wonder if anyone else's experience is the same.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1357312199' post='1920790']
I learnt a few chords on guitar at the age of ten, but never pursued it because I just did not think that I would ever be good enough to become a musician.

But around five or six years ago in my [b][i]mid-fifties[/i][/b], I was the physio of a football club, and the players had put together a make-shift band to play at the end of season presentation night, and they needed a bass player, so I volunteered thinking that they would not be that good, and I wont look too out of place just playing root notes with a few little fills here and there.

At the first rehearsal, I was shocked to find that they were all decent musicians, with quite a bit of gigging experience behind them, but I couldn't wriggle out of it as they had no one else they could call on.

So for the few weeks leading up to the big night, I set about finding tabs and YouTube video's of the SIX songs we were to play.
The crowd seemed to like what we played, and I must have been ok'ish, or at least shown some potential, because they decided to form a proper band, and asked if I would be interested in being the bass player.

I have now gigged regularly since then with various bands, but I don't know any theory, I don't know any scales or stuff like that, I don't know what they are talking about when they speak in musical terms etc... and I've never had a lesson in my life, but I can learn a song pretty quickly just by listening to it, and working it out myself, or sometimes if it's a difficult bass line, I might look for a tutorial video to help me.

I know how to play the original bass line to around 200 songs, although I do like putting my own take on things, but I still don't believe I can class myself as a musician, because I know nothing about music, other that I can remember where my fingers go.

[u][i]So, my question is this:[/i][/u]

Can I call myself a [b][i]musician[/i][/b], or do I just have a good [b][i]memory[/i][/b]?
[/quote]

You are a musician because you have a combination of cognitive, affective and psychomotor skills in relation to the way you play your bass.

You are not just using cognitive (memory, knowledge thinking) skills - your participation with your band mates, your audience, yourself and the actual compositions you play will undoubtedly have an emotional impact (affect) upon you & to some degree everyone you play to. Further to that the physicality of playing an instrument is much more than simple muscle memory in the psychomotor domain.

This is what music is. This is what makes you not just a musician - but also human!

Just my tuppenceworth.

Edited by White Cloud

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1357497889' post='1923595']
So inti just removed his own offensive posts (not aimed at me btw) then private messages me a threatening message asking if I am harassing him! Classic :D
[/quote]

Just put it all down to ABBA and Meatballs.
He will get over it in time.

Garry

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1357497889' post='1923595']
So inti just removed his own offensive posts (not aimed at me btw) then private messages me a threatening message asking if I am harassing him! Classic :D
[/quote]

:blink:

make sure you close your windows at night! :lol:

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1357312199' post='1920790']
I learnt a few chords on guitar at the age of ten, but never pursued it because I just did not think that I would ever be good enough to become a musician.

But around five or six years ago in my [b][i]mid-fifties[/i][/b], I was the physio of a football club, and the players had put together a make-shift band to play at the end of season presentation night, and they needed a bass player, so I volunteered thinking that they would not be that good, and I wont look too out of place just playing root notes with a few little fills here and there.

At the first rehearsal, I was shocked to find that they were all decent musicians, with quite a bit of gigging experience behind them, but I couldn't wriggle out of it as they had no one else they could call on.

So for the few weeks leading up to the big night, I set about finding tabs and YouTube video's of the SIX songs we were to play.
The crowd seemed to like what we played, and I must have been ok'ish, or at least shown some potential, because they decided to form a proper band, and asked if I would be interested in being the bass player.

I have now gigged regularly since then with various bands, but I don't know any theory, I don't know any scales or stuff like that, I don't know what they are talking about when they speak in musical terms etc... and I've never had a lesson in my life, but I can learn a song pretty quickly just by listening to it, and working it out myself, or sometimes if it's a difficult bass line, I might look for a tutorial video to help me.

I know how to play the original bass line to around 200 songs, although I do like putting my own take on things, but I still don't believe I can class myself as a musician, because I know nothing about music, other that I can remember where my fingers go.

[u][i]So, my question is this:[/i][/u]

Can I call myself a [b][i]musician[/i][/b], or do I just have a good [b][i]memory[/i][/b]?
[/quote]

To get this back on track, if you can do this then yes, there must be some inherent musicality in you, and therefore, you are a musician. Also the fact that you want to do it adds to you being one in my opinion.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1357498590' post='1923605']
Funny thing is I have had much fiestier rows with folk on here without that kind of thing, mcnach, TimR and a good few others have enjoyed a good debate with me but now get along well with me, maybe me and Inti will become pals? :lol:
[/quote]

yup, I'm sure that's the way things will be. :rolleyes:

Probably best to just nod to everything and walk casually away, towards the clowns but away from the circus. It was funny for a minute, now it's just boooooring. ;)

Edit: seriously, I just saw another charming and intilligent one liner, and it disappeared straight away.
It smells of psychological problems. :( I'm staying out from now on.

Edited by mcnach

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I managed to copy this before he withdrew it:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Why does inti keep saying things... and then deleting them?[/font][/color]

Edited by Gust0o

Sorry, Brig - a member may remove his or her own posts, and I believe one of us has exercised that right in this thread.

That last comment you mention, I removed, for reasons which I hope are obvious. This is a discussion forum, and I want us to get back to that - we're better than falling out for long, and we're certainly better than insulting one another :)

Am I a moderator... or do I just have access to the moderation panel? :)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1357500430' post='1923670']
Sorry, Brig - a member may remove his or her own posts, and I believe one of us has exercised that right in this thread.

That last comment you mention, I removed, for reasons which I hope are obvious. This is a discussion forum, and I want us to get back to that - we're better than falling out for long, and we're certainly better than insulting one another :)

Am I a moderator... or do I just have access to the moderation panel? :)
[/quote]
Fair enough, but I just think that it is a shame that some people have to resort to insulting behaviour, just because someone disagrees with them.
We've had 7 or 8 pages of great debate, then suddenly it all goes sour because of one persons unreasonable behaviour.

Oh well, happy new year to one and all. :)

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1357501933' post='1923707']
We've had 7 or 8 pages of great debate...
[/quote]

Totally agree, although I think I had to drop out early on page 2, as my luddite tendencies to theory are well known :)

Still, here's to 7 or 8 pages of [i]more[/i] great debate :)

• 1 month later...

[quote]Inti, on 06 January 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

Last time I checked people danced to technotronic and jenifer lopez, while listened to Bach, Holdsworth and the Mahavishnu Orchestra.
[/quote]
Wow, I've been getting that wrong. I've been dancing to Bach and Mahavishnu for decades while I've never danced to Lopez and I don't even know what technotronic is