Why become a member? ×

Ampbuilder 5 watt *guitar* amp kit

Bassman Rich

Hi all, Happy New Year.

The mrs very kindly got me a 5 watt all valve amp kit to keep my busy for a few hours and stop venturing into the kitchen for turkey, sausages, mince pies and chocolates. More updates as I progress, don't hold your breath though, jobs round here take ages.

ps its an se5a from ampbuilder of ipswich.

Watching this with interest. The kits look very nice and pretty good value too considering you're getting a nice UK made valve amp. If I played guitar a bit more I'd build one...

Edit - I suspect the reason you can't find a decent bass valve amp kit is because you'd be looking at much bigger transformers, bigger valves and more of them asides from more complicated tone stacks, all of which would push the parts cost close, if not above the cost of buying one ready made.

Edited by henry norton

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1357302720' post='1920585']
Nice project, I keep meaning to look into valve bass amp kits, does anybody know of any around?

Happy building ;)

John
[/quote]Have a look at Torres and see if they do one.

I built a 7/15w guitar amp years ago (Guitar and Bass Mag kit, a Cornell Stinger) great fun and a great amp. However, it packed up some time ago and has been living in the loft since. Probably just a dry joint (the provided wires were not overly generous in length) I ought to strip it and resolder everything really.

Ps thanks for all the support and good wishes, its a bit daunting being the first one, but as I spent 3 years studying electronics and fix medical electronic stuff as a job, if I can't do it, it really is a rum bloody do as they say. I recently biassed said Marshall VBA, it was really funny when I had to run a 1khz signal through it at 30 volts output (into my two 1x15s as I dont have a dummy load), and make various adjustments. The mrs was on a work phonecall (I didn't hear it come through) and had to run down stairs closing a bedroom, hall and kitchen door, and still couldn't hear herself on the call, so ran out into the back garden. Fortunately it was another engineer on the phone, so they were understanding!!

[quote name='Bassman Rich' timestamp='1357360606' post='1921641']
Ps thanks for all the support and good wishes, its a bit daunting being the first one, but as I spent 3 years studying electronics and fix medical electronic stuff as a job, if I can't do it, it really is a rum bloody do as they say. I recently biassed said Marshall VBA, it was really funny when I had to run a 1khz signal through it at 30 volts output (into my two 1x15s as I dont have a dummy load), and make various adjustments. The mrs was on a work phonecall (I didn't hear it come through) and had to run down stairs closing a bedroom, hall and kitchen door, and still couldn't hear herself on the call, so ran out into the back garden. Fortunately it was another engineer on the phone, so they were understanding!!
[/quote]

dummy loads are great!