Why become a member? ×

What's best for a warm blues sound

sirmontofgue

Guys,

Bet ur all sick of questions like this...bu here goes.

I've finally saved some money and want to update my old combo. I have a jazz and a precision and want to end up with a warm Tommy Shannon sound. I have about £600-700 pounds to spend all together, so what do you guys suggest. I will then go and try out your suggestions don't worry. I play pub gigs, so I don't think I'll need a rig for Wembley Stadium just yet!

Thanks

Get an AMPEG B15R(I think it's 'R') FLIPTOP UNBEATABLE IMHO... able to switch between 60/100w-all tube....... warm....bluesy..... OR (I dunno prices in UK) as I did & I'm LOVING mine- a AMPEG V4BH 100w tube head- I use mine with my Bergantino NV610 cab OR with my EV 1x15" cab. The EV has NO tweeter(neither does the Berg ) & gives a GREAT blues tone. I WASN'T THAT impressed with the amp until I played it with the band at a gig-WOW!!!!!!! It just SITS in the mix PERFECTLY!!!! Sounds AWESOME in my JAzz/blues band.IMHO-unbeatable - 40lbs-not TOO heavy & has PLENTY of power(don't let the 100w fool U) IMHO/IME it seems to be as loud as my old SVT3PRO(450w Solid state)!!!!!!!!
DO IT!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='The Burpster' post='21189' date='Jun 21 2007, 07:43 AM']At a push you could just get a Mesa Walkabout scout (2nd hand) .....

I cannot recomend mine enough....... it will do what you want and then some![/quote]

+1

[quote name='sirmontofgue' post='20832' date='Jun 20 2007, 04:12 PM']I've finally saved some money and want to update my old combo..... want to end up with a warm Tommy Shannon sound. I have about £600-700 pounds.....[/quote]
Well, On Tommy Shannon's web site he's pictured using a GK 2001 with an Ampeg 8x10, but he lists his current rig as Eden. Oh, and apparently he is also still searching for a perfect bass sound!!!

With your budget, I'd start by checking out the used Ampeg market, possibly an SVT3 and a 4x10?

I think Tommy Shannon used Peavey amps on the Live At Montreux first DVD, and he gets a great blues sound! Nowadays there would be a lot more options available though, +1 for the all valve option! The Ampeg V4B or CL would be perfect!