Why become a member? ×

Fender 1977 Precision bits help.

AndyTravis

Hello folks, well, after a good long search I've bought a late 70's Fender Precision.

Sunburst/Rosewood, 9lbs, tidy neck join (no gaps) and about a 9/10 condition.

It's come from a mates uncle who's not played since the late 80's and heard I was on the lookout.

It's great bass considering some of the horror stories/stigma attached with the late CBS era basses.

But, need a bit of help, and I know there are some real encyclopaedia depth knowledge types on this era of Fender on here.

As a working bass, it was flightcased and some of the more vintage appointments (case candy) are AWOL.

1. Thumb Rest.
Long gone. I've seen 77's with both Black and Brown thumb rests, is it a matter of 'whatever was lying around'? Or should I seek out a particular one?

2. Chrome covers.
Again, these are gone, and I'm aware that 60's ones were a squarer, sharper shape than the current reissue ones. Are the current ones I can order from Fender the same as they were on the 70's, or is it a matter of finding original 75-1981 ones?

3. Machine Heads.
These are all original, but the large domed screws at the back of the headstock have been replaced with bolts, and look a bit crap, unsure as to why this was done, but apparently it's been like this since its last owner got it in the 80's.
To maintain originality, should I source an original full set of tuning machines, or simply track down some replacement screws.

Basically, think I'm asking if anyone had these bits in a box they'd be willing to part with, or if anyone has a reliable source for vintage bits?

Apart from these 3 small things, the bass is totally original, and it's a good one, so I'd like to do it justice, and the price I got it for, I can afford to get it set right.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy... congrats on your score... super.

1. Prob best to get a plastic one cheap of the bay.

2. I got a set from AllParts, £13.00, same as fender.

3. Prob easier to track down a set of 70s machines off the bay
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Genuine-FENDER-logo-Bass-Tuners-Set-of-4-/370720298902?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5650a6d796"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5650a6d796[/url]

Looking forward to the piccys...

Bob

Edited by bh2

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1357238025' post='1919658']
Hello folks, well, after a good long search I've bought a late 70's Fender Precision.

Sunburst/Rosewood, 9lbs, tidy neck join (no gaps) and about a 9/10 condition.

It's come from a mates uncle who's not played since the late 80's and heard I was on the lookout.

It's great bass considering some of the horror stories/stigma attached with the late CBS era basses.

But, need a bit of help, and I know there are some real encyclopaedia depth knowledge types on this era of Fender on here.

As a working bass, it was flightcased and some of the more vintage appointments (case candy) are AWOL.

1. Thumb Rest.
Long gone. I've seen 77's with both Black and Brown thumb rests, is it a matter of 'whatever was lying around'? Or should I seek out a particular one?

2. Chrome covers.
Again, these are gone, and I'm aware that 60's ones were a squarer, sharper shape than the current reissue ones. Are the current ones I can order from Fender the same as they were on the 70's, or is it a matter of finding original 75-1981 ones?

3. Machine Heads.
These are all original, but the large domed screws at the back of the headstock have been replaced with bolts, and look a bit crap, unsure as to why this was done, but apparently it's been like this since its last owner got it in the 80's.
To maintain originality, should I source an original full set of tuning machines, or simply track down some replacement screws.

Basically, think I'm asking if anyone had these bits in a box they'd be willing to part with, or if anyone has a reliable source for vintage bits?

Apart from these 3 small things, the bass is totally original, and it's a good one, so I'd like to do it justice, and the price I got it for, I can afford to get it set right.

Thanks

Andy
[/quote]

Good to hear of someone with a good late 70's precision

Despite the myths and scare stories they do exist :)

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1357288884' post='1920300']
What's the problem with 70s fenders ? Sorry if it seems a silly question , I am on the lookout for one and would be good to know !
[/quote]

A lot of people complain about sloppy QC, poor build quality and massive weight - to be honest, you just have to try the basses you're looking at to see if you like them (as with any manufacturer...)

You can't have my '77 ;)

Edited by Mylkinut

[quote name='Mylkinut' timestamp='1357289776' post='1920311']

A lot of people complain about sloppy QC, poor build quality and massive weight - to be honest, you just have to try the basses you're looking at to see if you like them (as with any manufacturer...)

You can't have my '77 ;)
[/quote]

Lol , thanks ;) yea weight issue would be a big no for me with my dodgy back !

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1357291417' post='1920339']
Lol , thanks ;) yea weight issue would be a big no for me with my dodgy back !
[/quote]

You'd have to try before you buy I guess - mine is one of the lighter of my basses, but I've tried some proper heavyweights which I didn't like at all!

What's the problem with 70s fenders ? Sorry if it seems a silly question , I am on the lookout for one and would be good to know !
[/quote]

As stated, some can have poor QC, and some are massively heavy. A mate of mine had excatly the the same 77 Precision as mine, aside from mine weighed 10.5 lbs, and his weighed 13.

But, I`ve played a few 70s Ps now, owned two, and thought they were all great. If it plays well, and sounds good, well that`s what I want from a bass. I think maybe some of the poor QC observations may be due to them not looking as if they were made with todays technology - which they obviously weren`t.

[/quote]

A while ago The Gallery had four Jazz basses from the 70s, two massively heavy, one medium, one very light. It was great to be able to test them back to back:

One of the the heavy ones had a pleasing scooped Marcus Miller tone that was great for slap and playing Jaco stuff on the bridge pickup if that's your thing. Build quality was awful but it had been played a lot and it showed.
The other heavy one was pristine condition, because it sounded awful. No tone, no resonance, slow neck. Looked nice but useless as an instrument.
The medium weight one was OK, nothing special. Also hadn't been played much.
The lightweight one was alive, resonated like a pre CBS, great tone, fast neck. Also had been played a lot. Great bass, Fender at it's best.

Edited by Fat Rich

[/quote]

I've got a 78, swamp ash, 8lbs featherweight, resonant, great strong pickups etc. I much prefer 70's Fenders over 60's ones

I wouldn't worry too much about the thumb rest or chrome covers. Cheapos from ebay will fit the bill (I added both to my '97 P Bass and they're identical to the originals on my '77).

If you need them aged just scuff them a bit - the ones on my '77 aren't that damaged and they've been on there for the life of the bass. I could send you a picture for reference if you want.

Just noticed you asked about the shape - the chrome covers available new now are the same shape as the '70s ones.

As for the screws, Madison's might be the best bet.

Edited by Mylkinut

Any similar Schallers (BML etc) probably use the same screws - I might even have some here on a set (bought for spare parts for my EUB...I've only used one clover leaf in ten years!) Reissue tuners would be fine, and probably available from Thomann.

One question is..why did someone change them all? That makes me think a new re-issue set might be the better option....

I got myself a '78 P this summer. It has all the "goodies" except the thumb rest, but it is stripped from the ashtrays. Are you going to use your bass as a bass or collectors item (I hope not!)?
I am no sentimental guy, so have the bass in the good playing manner you want it to be in. Don't listen to purists, listen to yourself. If you don't need the thumb rest: skip that! If you really don't care about the chromed car parts: skip them! If the machine heads irritate you: get good replacement parts even if it means them being "non vintage". Keep the bass, play it and like it!

Cheers guys, will enjoy the bass as it is for now, and mull it over, it will be gigged next week so it's not a collectors piece.

I'm just a fan of the chrome work, and thumb rests and it'd be cool if they were of a similar age/appearance to the rest of the bass.

The machine heads are fine, apart from these odd bolts, which look utter garbage.
I had a set of Yamaha BB300 M/heads spare, and they're a gnats chuff too small, which is annoying!!!

Can't see someone going to the effort of re threading the string posts, more likely that a heavy handed ex owner ruined the screws and replaced them with similarly threaded bolts.

Just a long wait/waste to buy some screws from the US to find they are wrong...

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1357238025' post='1919658']
3. Machine Heads.
[/quote]
Fender aren't unapproachable. Send them an email with a picture of the machines and the back-story and ask them if they'll sell you a set. The worst they can do is say 'no'.... but I've a hunch they'll help you out if you give them the details.

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1357349354' post='1921600']
Fender aren't unapproachable. Send them an email with a picture of the machines and the back-story and ask them if they'll sell you a set. The worst they can do is say 'no'....
[/quote]

Wrong, the worst they could do is NOT answer. That's what they did to me when I asked about vintage parts. Ignoring someone is impolite...

Ordered reissue covers and a black reissue thumb rest from Fender today.

The Machine head issue has got me a bit, had an offer of some original bits which has gone very quiet, and then came across the Schaller set for sale on here, which I'll get next week.

If I can't make the originals work using these screws, I'll sell them on and wait until I've got the funds to buy an original set via eBay or another source.

Thanks for the help guys.

Andy