Why become a member? ×

Got a set of half-rounds... Which should i put them on?

MiltyG565

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1357238208' post='1919664']
Can you not try both ways?
[/quote]

Not really. For one, the OLP isn't exactly one full instrument atm (the neck is screwed off. Was intending on keeping a set for when i screw it back on again in a few weeks.)

Also, the winding post arrangement would mean i would have to leave a hell of a lot of extra string on the G string just in case i decide i want to put them on the Jazz again.

As dilemmas go, that's got to be up there with salted or buttered pop-corn.

That said, strings are a whole heap of mystery... you mention the design, but there's a whole of other parameters (gauge, scale, material, core design, bridge presentation)... to me the most mysterious being tension and flexibility.

Try lots... or better still, play other basses and identify the strings...

I'd recommend Rotosound round-wounds as your reference set from which to explore... (medium gauge if you're into more 'modern' styles, standard, i.e. heavy if you're more 'traditional').

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1357239139' post='1919700']
As dilemmas go, that's got to be up there with salted or buttered pop-corn.

That said, strings are a whole heap of mystery... you mention the design, but there's a whole of other parameters (gauge, scale, material, core design, bridge presentation)... to me the most mysterious being tension and flexibility.

Try lots... or better still, play other basses and identify the strings...

I'd recommend Rotosound round-wounds as your reference set from which to explore... (medium gauge if you're into more 'modern' styles, standard, i.e. heavy if you're more 'traditional').
[/quote]

They are steel with chrome coating i believe, for a warmish brightness. My jazz is just a bog standard... standard? It's got a maple neck, with no mutes on the bridge. They are 45-100 scale. I believe the core is steel?

I played a fair few sets of rotosound rotobass. While the tone and feel of them was alright for the price, i found that the QC could be a little inconsistent, and also that the tone of the strings was completely gone after a month. So i ditched them, and have used Ernie Balls, GHS, and currently revising the D'Addario's.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1357239397' post='1919712']
Oh, that's okay - just turn the bass upside down.
[/quote]

It's currently upside down. Worried about all the blood running to the head and bursting a vein...

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1357259126' post='1920156']
Yeah they die a lot quicker than rounds, but that could be the sulphuric acid that my hands seem to excrete
[/quote]

Hm, yes. My friend has that trouble too, his guitar strings turn to rust in a matter of weeks. Can't say i have ever had that problem though.

Any of the groundwound or halfrounds I have tried I haven't liked at all !.. It's flats all the way or rounds if you have to.. These halfway strings have done nothing for me...
It's great that we have so much choice but gets expensive if you experiment too much like I have done :(

I'm truly settled in the flats camp now..

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1357373630' post='1921674']
Any of the groundwound or halfrounds I have tried I haven't liked at all !.. It's flats all the way or rounds if you have to.. These halfway strings have done nothing for me...
It's great that we have so much choice but gets expensive if you experiment too much like I have done :(

I'm truly settled in the flats camp now..
[/quote]

Personal preference i suppose. I don't like the unsilkyness or unslideability of them.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1357374334' post='1921678']
Personal preference i suppose. I don't like the unsilkyness or unslideability of them.
[/quote]

I don't wish to sound patronising Milt but, those are the qualities of a decent set of flats!

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1357376296' post='1921694']
I don't wish to sound patronising Milt but, those are the qualities of a decent set of flats!
[/quote]

Why can't a decent set of flats be easy to slide though? that's all i'm wondering.

And being honest now, these really are a great set of strings, and i have decided to stick to D'Addario strings for the foreseeable future.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1357376730' post='1921700']

Why can't a decent set of flats be easy to slide though? that's all i'm wondering.
[/quote]

Smoothness/slidiness/silkiness are what good flats do best. Much more so than rounds or half rounds. Or am I misinterpreting what you mean by 'easy to slide'?

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1357378402' post='1921726']
Smoothness/slidiness/silkiness are what good flats do best. Much more so than rounds or half rounds. Or am I misinterpreting what you mean by 'easy to slide'?
[/quote]

No, you've just confused me, because HighFox has said that good flats aren't easy to do a slide on, and you have said they are.

So... there are some conflicting ideas here on what makes a good flattie!

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1357376296' post='1921694']
[/quote]

Confusing yes!
I was talking about flats being smoother and easier to slide lol-

Edited to try and make it less confusing, again.

Edited by Highfox