Why become a member? ×

Wrist protection - sweat bands and the like

ahpook

If you play fingerstyle it may not be a problem. If you're a pick player then it can be a problem. It's a problem for me - if I don't wear a wristband then I suffer from friction of the wrist (fnarr) against the top contour. Plus, I can't wear long sleeves - I get too hot on stage - because I'm a fat, sweaty git.

I would imagine the forearm between the wrist and elbow is in contact with the upper body of the bass for much of the time, whatever your playing style.
As a fingerstyle player, I sometimes move my elbow and forearm away from the bass, when playing faster/more aggressively, but it's usually in contact. Look up some pictures of Billy Sheehan from the 80's, he had about 8 wristbands on each arm. Steve Harris always has West Ham ones.

My latest tactic is to wrap my whole lower arm, from my hands up to my elbow in a bandage. Works very well at stopping any sort of friction burns, or any friction whatsoever for that matter, as well as an oppertunity for creative excuses as to why your arm is bandaged, AND it can work as a pick holder too!.

Liam

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1357168091' post='1918717']
With so many of you wearing them, sounds like a good idea to produce some wrist bands with the BC logo and flog em on here?
[/quote]

It'd be a crime not to, they are a piece of clothing for many players arsenal. :-)
But please, make them in 3". I'll buy one.
As people are speaking designs they wear, I have my recent Devin Townsend Project one on my left wrist, and the Dai Gurren motif (seen as my avatar) on the right, which I ironed on from a transfer. :-P
They keep my hands nice and dry when playing live and wrists nice and warm otherwise.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1357246947' post='1919927']
Think harder then :lol:

Mine does and always has done - is there some reason why my right wrist shouldn't touch my bass?
[/quote]

Players who have the bass on their chest ala Mark King tend to have what I call "T-rex" arms when playing finger style, so their wrist does indeed touch the body haha.
My outside forearm touches mine when slapping and I have it about torso level, so it's very possible. All those twist and turns of the wrist tend to rub and get sore after a few hours.
But one of many uses for wrist bands.

Ok but my hand and forearm are prefectly straight when I am playing so I'm trying to work out what is wrong with that. I'm not trying to start an argument/debate/bludgeoning, I'm just really curious. :modspank:

The wrist bands provide the cushioning so that my tendons and whatnot are not being pressed against the bass, cutting off the blood and stuff.

T-Rex arms. I know exactly what you mean but never pictured it like that :lol:

Edited by Delberthot