Why become a member? ×

Wrist protection - sweat bands and the like

ahpook

I've recently found that i'm getting friction burns on the inside of my wrist (ooo-errr missus !) form where it rubs on the body of my bass.

i'm putting it down to old age...thinning of the skin - that kind of thing, as it never used to bother me.

i got a wrist sweat band, but it's too thick and not quite long enough. there must be something out there, short of an arm sock (and the emo look is so out) that would do the job.

something sporty ?

I'm building up a large collection of wrist bands that I use when I'm playing.

It came from playing a thunderbird which has the square edges to make it more comfortable but now I wear two all the time at gigs as the right one stops my wrist sticking to the bass if I get a bit sweaty and I have a really bad habit of resting my wrist on the body but its where my arm/hand/wrist is at its straightest.

I've tried longer ones but I think they look silly

I'm an avid user of these. I stopped at one point but recently came back to em. Keeps a little extra warmth and tightness to the wrist as well as protect from scrubs and scrapes...Although I use them also for their original design; to stop sweat from going from my arms to hands when playing live. Dry hands grip strings better. :-P

I tend to use 3" length ones (long-ish), same as tennis players use. Hard to find though, at least plain or with a decent design. I just picked them up at various gigs when my favourite bands play.
Never leave the house without them. :-)

If looking for sporty, these should do the trick.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DOUDLEWIDE-SPORTS-WRISTBANDS-BADMINTON-SWEATBANDS/dp/B009TRCZ1M/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357088145&sr=8-1-spell

Edited by Kongo

I like wrist bands because I can quickly wipe my forehead between beats though I wear a bandana these days. I get less sweaty since we went all LED with the lights too..

I've taken to doing gigs in wooly fingerless gloves - getting quite used to it now. It was just because I forgot to take them off one night.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1357131313' post='1917803']
3" plain black (hard to find without some twatty Dolce & Gobbana/Nike logo on).[/quote]

I turn mine around or inside out to conceal the logo. 'Just Do It'? I AM bloody doing it! F*uck off, Nike!! :D

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1357090613' post='1917480']
I'm trying to think how your wrist touches anything when playing.
[/quote]
This.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1357138899' post='1917960']
I refuse to wear a sweatband on the grounds that it's not 1985 and I don't play Heavy Metal.
[/quote]
And then there's simply not wanting to look like a complete onanist.

* grabs coat, legs it.*

Edited by mckendrick