Why become a member? ×

Looking for a 1 cab solution

leroydiamond

i have been using a Markbass traveler 15 cab together with a traveler 2by 10 cab for years and they have served me well. however I want to go for a 1 cab solution. i need a relatively small replacement, so 4by10 lightweights are out. I play in a rock setting so plenty of ooomph required here. Using a markbass f500 amp so the replacement cab will need to be a good match. Any suggestions fellas? (Sorry this post is now relocated in the b amps and cabs section)

Edited by leroydiamond

I used to have a mark bass 410, and it was great but I needed something much smaller as I had at the time a Nissan Micra. I bought the 210 you have now and have never looked back. It more than copes with both bands I play in, covers all styles of music and have used it at reasonably big ish venues. It's always been loud enough, and anyways, if you're going through a PA you wont need it that loud really as it'll be for monitoring.

I think you already have your solution! However, I'm sure the barefaced fans will be along shortly!

Dan

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1356963431' post='1915676']
I used to have a mark bass 410, and it was great but I needed something much smaller as I had at the time a Nissan Micra. I bought the 210 you have now and have never looked back. It more than copes with both bands I play in, covers all styles of music and have used it at reasonably big ish venues. It's always been loud enough, and anyways, if you're going through a PA you wont need it that loud really as it'll be for monitoring.

I think you already have your solution! However, I'm sure the barefaced fans will be along shortly!

Dan
[/quote]
the 210 is indeed an excellent cab. However I do a weekly residency with just vocal PA and need the 15 for the extra low end. Nothing bad to say here about Markbass cabs. I have been pushing them hard for years and they never let me down but need to just go with 1 cab that will allow the f500 to perform at 500W

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1356963431' post='1915676']I'm sure the barefaced fans will be along shortly!Dan[/quote]

You called?! :)

*Compact*!! Small, light, very loud, raunchy tone (if you want it).... what's not to like? ;)

If you like your current setup then I think the most obvious solution would be a MarkBass 2x12.

I recently tried the NY version at BassGear and was impressed. The 12's had the depth of a 15 (to my ears) and I put this partly down to the physical cab size as the 212 is appreciably bigger than a Traveller 1x15.

Didn't seem to lack any punch that get from 10's either.

I was quite tempted to replace my 210 with it but the 210 fits perfectly in the tiny boot of my everyday car so I decided to hang to it and maybe look out for a 2nd one to go with it :)

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' timestamp='1357048595' post='1916706']
If you can find them, there was the Marshall DBS 7152 ( Iirc) and the peavey 'big one' (?)
They had both a 15 and 2 10s.
They won't be light though.
[/quote]
my back is screwed so need light cabs. cheers for the recommendation

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1357058084' post='1916911']
my back is screwed so need light cabs. [/quote]

All the more reason to look at the Barefaced range. They are seriously lightweight (except in their tone). ;)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1357049575' post='1916728']
If you like your current setup then I think the most obvious solution would be a MarkBass 2x12.

I recently tried the NY version at BassGear and was impressed. The 12's had the depth of a 15 (to my ears) and I put this partly down to the physical cab size as the 212 is appreciably bigger than a Traveller 1x15.

Didn't seem to lack any punch that get from 10's either.

I was quite tempted to replace my 210 with it but the 210 fits perfectly in the tiny boot of my everyday car so I decided to hang to it and maybe look out for a 2nd one to go with it :)
[/quote]

Never new Markbass made a 2x12 cab :rolleyes: . Could well be the best solution. Just wondering will I miss the extra low end I get from the traveler 15? (2x12 goes to 45 Hz whweras the 15 goes to 4o hz)

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1357058511' post='1916928']
will I miss the extra low end I get from the traveler 15? (2x12 goes to 45 Hz whweras the 15 goes to 4o hz)
[/quote]

You can't even hear those frequencies anyway, so I wouldn't worry.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1357058720' post='1916935']
You can't even hear those frequencies anyway, so I wouldn't worry.
[/quote]
Can't hear them, but there is something going on down there :happy: . Though agreed a one cab solution will require a certain amount of compromise.

Edited by leroydiamond

Never new Markbass made a 2x12 cab :rolleyes: . Could well be the best solution. Just wondering will I miss the extra low end I get from the traveler 15? (2x12 goes to 45 Hz whweras the 15 goes to 4o hz)
[/quote]

It's a while since I've tried the Traveller 1x15 but the NY212 felt like it had more low end punch to me from what I remember.

It's also a 4ohm cab so it'll be a good unit as a standalone to get the most out of an amp.

[/quote]

Probably not. I use a Markbass 112 combo & 112 ext speaker, and am certainly not missing any lows.

Evil Undead has one of these up for grabs on here as well:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/190422-ftfs-markbass-new-york-122-2x12/page__p__1913732__hl__markbass__fromsearch__1#entry1913732

I've never owned a multi cab rig but for the past 8 years I've found a Schroeder 1210 or 1212 works very well with my Markbass heads. I've never run out of steam, and rarely use PA support. These cabs are very loud, they are the only cabs I've ever been asked to turn down. They are old cabs and I know there are plenty of similar cabs around but the MB/ Schoreder combination has been widely used by many people.

I was going to go with the TC Electronics BC Series, but I decided to hang on to my Ampeg. If hadn't stayed with the Ampeg, I would definitely have gone with one of the three BC Series cabs. They're well made, have a great sound, are made of real wood, and they're reasonable in weight. They use [color=#333333]Eminence drivers.[/color]

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1357203511' post='1918925']
I'd not worry too much about having a 4 ohm cab - the difference is negligible, if anything, volume wise. And 8 ohm will be a kinder load on the amp when things get loud.
[/quote]

Yep, I'd go with this. I only ever gig with a 250 watt head and it's always more than capable, I've never needed it passed 11 o'clock and the mark bass 210 fills the room so effortlessly and with plenty of bottom end. I don't get this need for a minimum of million watt + amps.

Dan