Why become a member? ×

Who is out tonight?

Bilbo

Having a rare NYE with my partner and three out of five of our kids and actually quite happy to be doing it. My band have a dep and playing quite locally but a bit of nice food and tv sat with the kids will do me tonight

Previous NYE's have involved walking home absolutely freezing at 2 in the morning in basque and stockings but life moves on lol

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1356985611' post='1916168']
I'm depping with Wildlife at the Tudor Hotel in Airdrie - I've had a week's notice, 38 numbers - here's hoping!!

G.
[/quote]

Gig went great - only fluffed one number - no' bad!!!

Wore my 'Tesco Value Bass Player' T-shirt - went down well!

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

This is the first time I've spent New Year alone in 18 years. My wife stupidly agreed to work the shift at her mate's pub, thinking that I'd go with her. But I got myself so worked up and made myself so ill over christmas that I just couldn't face it. I had intended to go (or at least to try to) and I thought QueenBollock would have been really pissed off with me if I didn't go, but she saw how bad a time I've had of it over christmas and she completely understands. So she can have a drink she's spending the night at her mum's, who lives in the same village as the pub. Suits me anyway, I'd far rather she spent the night there if she's had a drink.

I was on the bog when the new year turned, I hadn't realised it was that time until all the fireworks started going off.

I've had some sandwiches and I shared a sausage roll with the Dog, now I'm going to go to bed to read for a bit.

[quote name='E sharp' timestamp='1356990756' post='1916221']
Mate , that sounds like a lovely gig
[/quote]

Thanks, E. Was a really good night. Played for a long time but was one of those nights when the atmosphere just carried you through! If you get a chance, get up to Wells and the Albatros, it's a great place for a good beer and the best dutch pancakes ;-)

Happy New Year mate!

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1356962918' post='1915664']
Yup, playing at a private function @ the Cardross Coachhouse from 10pm til 2am. Three 1 hr hour sets with a couple of breaks! Not a big gig I suppose but there will be 200 Scots partying down. Played the same venue last year and it was great!

All the best when it comes folks!
[/quote]

This gig turned into a bitch.

Arrived to set up the gear to find that the venue had just kept prinitng more tickets when they ran out...the venue was mega crammed with unhappy people because there was nowhere to sit/stand/whatever.

The area where we were asked to set up was full of diners eating their dinner...by the time they had finished we had virtually zero set up time and zero sound check. My guitarist turned up with untried new gear and sounded like a novice all night as he couldnt get to grips with his bloody new pedals...volumes all over the place. Amateur hour on the biggest night of the year. I'm seriously unhappy.

NOT to be repeated...next year I am staying at home. At least we got paid tho lol.

Edited by White Cloud

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1356972031' post='1915861']
The Hop - Leeds. Owned by Ossett Brewery who are now our most regular employer. Hardly a weekend goes by without we do something for them.

I dont much like the Leeds Hop. You play on an upper level and most of the punters are beneath you. Plus it sounds dreadful , being built into a railway arch (It's directly under Leeds station). It's never much of a gig but we'll do what we can and will have a ball amongst ourselves anyway as we always do.

It'll be full of what Rodders , our guitar player , calls 'Fanoir' which is a bonus !!

Weirdest of all - they want us on early and off early , like 10.30 early. ( they need a band for licensing purposes but want the early finish so as not to endanger that licence if neighbours complain on noise grounds). House PA means a fast exit putting me in the pub over the road from my gaff before 12 - which means I'll likely be jamming with the band there into the wee hours. I think it's our fellow member 'Funkmaster' and his band. Haven't seen him in ages.
[/quote]

It was OK. Not packed , but city centre joints can be like that on NYE. Sounded better than usual , at least it did to us as we took and controled our own monitors.

Got back to see Dave's band in Wakefield but they were nearly done so no jam. Atmos there was cosy but again , not rammed.

I've taken to playing in a pair of fingerless wooly gloves. Honestly , it wasn't planned - a few gigs back I just forgot to take them off. Now it's becoming a sig.

Downside is I blew my already ravaged throat out totally and can't talk today.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1357044070' post='1916628']
Excellent. I hope your non-capitalist conscience allowed you to take your fair and rightful share !! B)
[/quote]

I got paid the same as everyone else: Stratford St Mary is a communist state ;)