Why become a member? ×

Just one bass?

Guest MoJo

I own 5 , but have only ever gigged the one (apart from maybe one gig) for 20 years .
My graphite necked Stingray does it all for me . Don't need 2 pickup basses .

I think it's possible to live with one bass , and really work it for all styles

I have 4 basses. Only play the two at rehearsals and gigs really. (Either one of my fenders) depends what mood im in. A few weeks ago they were both in the shop getting cleaned up. Wasn't my best week.

Now iv'e traded bb's with you mark im happy to say i may have a 3rd main bass ;)

I have 3x Basses, But they are very differant beast's
1x Ibanez SR electric bass: Nothing too flash it's just a bass that suits me perfectly & I just love it.
1x Stagg EUB: To finally have a go at upright playing, I dont see it as a bass as such, just a whole new instrument, with simularities lol
1x Starfire accoustic bass: a cheap camp fire bass that just happen to come on sale here, again nothing flash, just something to pick up & plonk !
As for actually owning another electric bass, it's just something that i never would do, I'm not really built like that if that makes sense ?

Some people do & thats great for them if owning more than one bass makes you happy then I'm glad they they find happiness in things that they own.

Edited by fumps

I have one and a half. The Spector which is all I could call upon and my Yamaha which has been in bits for over a year now.

I do occasionally think about getting a 4 stroing which would probably be a Sterling Sub, and sometimes a fretless which would probably be a Squier J.
Were any of them to arrive, I would find my self looking at the others and asking them tyo justify themselves.

If I could get one of those basses where the turn of a knob made the frets dissapear and a hipshot took the E all the way to B, I'd probably be quite happy.

I'm sure that no such thing actually exists.

I have 5 again...
Shame on me :(
However, the 2 fretted are there as backups to each other (read one i can gig with while the other one sits in pieces in the garage while i fiddle with it)
As are the 2 fretless, for fretless gigs.
And the EUB is an EUB (backed up by one or other fretless).
You don't have to have a backup, but I used to be a guitar player with the ability to break at least 3 strings every gig, so no backup makes me nervous.
:)

Also whatever people say, you can't do the same things on a fretless as a fretted, can't do slidey stuff with frets on, and you can't slap a fretless (well not properly anyway, although i have been known to)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1357143951' post='1918072']
If I could get one of those basses where the turn of a knob made the frets dissapear and a hipshot took the E all the way to B, I'd probably be quite happy.

I'm sure that no such thing actually exists.
[/quote] Oh yes it does..... [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2WOOIZXNks"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2WOOIZXNks[/url]

The moment I am 1 bass guy my trusty GB IV. Tbh its all the bass one could ever need.

I have had many but this one is a keeper and always get played more than anything else.

Yes I have a new shuker on the way which will be as far removed from the GB in sound.

But I could quite happily live with 1

[quote name='Rayman' timestamp='1356965986' post='1915736']
I have two Precisions, but only ever take one to gigs and rehearsals. I took a "backup" to gigs for years, but never, [i]ever[/i] needed one, not once.

To be honest a spare [i]amp[/i] is more likely to be required. It's the only part of my kit that's ever let me down during gig.
[/quote]

I'd agree with that, I've broken a string onstage once in nearly ten years of gigging and had my amp go down at least three or four times.

I'm 'kind of' a one-bass guy at the minute, in that there's actually five in the house ( :unsure: ), but two of those are display pieces only (thrashed to the point of unusable, and signed (one by Mani, one by Duff)), one is for sale (sonic blue Precision in the classifieds!) and one's in bits waiting for me to refurbish it so that I can move it on.

I'd hope that should my Wildhearts tribute band do any work in the near future that I can just drop my Vintage EST96 5-string down a tone (it's currently in C standard) and use that, but haven't even attempted any of the set on five strings yet; MIGHT see if my endorsement would get me a maple-necked V4 for it ;)