Why become a member? ×

To (Mesa)Boogie or not to (Mesa) Boogie? Thats the question =)

tylerlangan

Hi all.

Just about to take the plunge on paying just over a grand on a new Mesa/boogie Walkabout scout (12" 4ohm version) and whilst I'm 98% sure I'm doing the right thing, I'd just be interested in anyone elses learned opinion on the forum?

As I'm off to a music course in at uni in September I felt that my current combo (a Laney R5) wasnt really cutting it tonally or voume wise at recent gigs and so felt the need to upgrade.

Various devouring of the amps and cabs forums here has lead to me to the opinion that as far as lightweight great sounding combos go, the mesa is pretty good.

Am I doing the right thing?

I'd love to hear what people reckon to their own or if they've played them and what their like with the head on their own, hooked up to various cabs or just on their lonesome?

Thanks everyone.

(Just out of interest I play mostly fingerstyle funk, jazz and some rocky stuff with a Warwick Streamer STD and a Jazz Bass 24)

Hey Tyger

It's difficult without specifics - what size venues you're using, do you have PA support, etc. However... I'll have ago...!

The Scout is expensive, but it's a class above virtually everything else in it's field.

I picked mine up (12", 4ohm) a few months ago, and I still can't believe the tone. It's a combination of two great things. First, the head is marvellous (and also sounds fab with my Schroeder 21012L). If the input gain is kept low, it's very clean... drive the preamp tubes though, and it goes all fat and old-school.

Secondly, the cab is ingenious. It sounds warm, round and HUGE. That passive radiator makes a hell of a difference.

I've used mine at theatre gigs, and there's been no need to put any in the monitors. It's filled the stage up. It has a lovely DI, too.

It will run out of steam eventually - at a rammed and sweaty pub gig, for example (it's only a 12" speaker after all!) but when it does, either pull the head and use it with a bigger cab, or use an extension cab (It will unofficially run at 2ohm too).

I loved the head so much I bought it's bigger brother, the MPulse 600, too. It totally changed my view of tone.

Downsides... not much, really. No mute... no tuner output.. no speakons... I've heard people complain about the fan being loud but mine is barely a whisper.

Try and avoid the earlier models with seperate active / passive inputs, as they seem to have a few QC issues. Mine is the newest model with a switchable input, and a crossover etc. on the back.

Are you buying used or new?

Although I have a Phil Jones Suitcase/4B mini-rig on order, I loved the sound of the Walkabout - I would like to see how it compares A/B with a PJB "super-Flightcase" - I expect they're similar - but you're unlikely to be able to try them side by side anywhere that I know of. It's tone and bottom octave are simply unreal for its size - I'd bet there is no 1x12" out there that gets anywhere near it.

I say go for it, although beware that I would not think it would be suitable for big/loud stages, and I would rather go for the mpulse 600 +cab than run the Walkabout at 2ohms regularly. Heh - I wish I could afford one as a "spare".

Thanks guys!

That's been really informative.

I rarely play to more than a hundred people (biggest gig I've ever done was barely over 200, so I'm VERY small-fry compared to some guys on here!)

There's generally always been PA support, I love the idea of the removable head as I do a lot of recording the idea of using it as a high-quality studio preamp just sounds so good!

How does it fare against most drummers?

PS: its a newer model and its new :)

Edited by tylerlangan

tyler, as another WS owner.... 1 piece of advice might be to check the output options before ordering.

I got mine second hand (112) and its a 4ohm.

If I were to order a new one I'd get an 8ohm 115 so I could run a 2nd cab (2x10) from it without taking the amp out!

Just my thoughts.....

FYI ----- You will not be dissapointed..... One of the few bits of gear that I own that is not on an 'upgrade/ for sale at the right money' list ......'

Tone is incredible, and full of surprises and its easily luggable.

[quote name='tylerlangan' post='199857' date='May 15 2008, 07:43 PM']Thanks guys!

That's been really informative.

I rarely play to more than a hundred people (biggest gig I've ever done was barely over 200, so I'm VERY small-fry compared to some guys on here!)

There's generally always been PA support, I love the idea of the removable head as I do a lot of recording the idea of using it as a high-quality studio preamp just sounds so good![/quote]

It's right up your alley on all fronts, then. You'll love it.

[quote name='tylerlangan' post='199857' date='May 15 2008, 07:43 PM']How does it fare against most drummers?[/quote]

Our drummer is pretty dynamic. He'll hit them hard when he needs to. Unless you're fighting Marshall stacks, It'll stroll though a rehearsal situation. And, as mentioned above, it's filled the stage when I've used it for a theatre gig. My drummer loved it, because it sat so well in the stage sound and sounded fab.

[quote name='tylerlangan' post='199857' date='May 15 2008, 07:43 PM']PS: its a newer model and its new :)[/quote]

Good price.. go for it!

I've posted this elsewhere on BC, but before I seize the opportunity to launch into another rant about Mesa Boogie. Two points;

1 - This amp sounds wonderful.

2 - I dropped on a bad example.

Posted a week or so ago.

'Hi there - a word of caution regarding earlier models of this head.

I bought a combo (112) from a dealer 2nd hand - a well known dealer at that, based in Devon and famous for the guitars that John Paul Jones / Muse use, anyway this amp was in excellent cosmetic condition with added comments of 'yeah... we know the owner - he changes his stuff every couple of years, he weighed this in against a Zon Bass...blah blah blah...'

This amp worked fine for around 6 weeks and then..... it started cutting out after 20 - 30 mins use and would cut back in after a few seconds whilst annoying, once it cut back in it stay on Ok... then it failed for longer periods and would not cut in, then failed completely.. then working - I then picked up on 'issues' from the harmony central review pages.

I took it to a local amp tech, he pointed out seven major f**k ups in the internal assembly of the amp - the highlight being that in one place the PCB had been bi passed in favor of a bit of 'mid-air' soldering - this had to have been done in the factory in an attempt to produce a 'quick fix' - when he used the pcb circuit the 'fault' would repeat in a predictable cycle. My amp tech has since changed the values of components in the circuit into the valves by an order of magnitude (more compatible with what he would expect for this circuit) and the fault has gone, the amp sounds wonderful.

THIS IS NOT A REPAIR THIS IS ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING.....

I would love someone from Mesa Boogie to acknowledge the mistake but this is Mesa Boogie - they can't be wrong can they?

Look, buyer beware - it's a great amp but take care with 2nd hand.'

This experience has been 'shared' by others on BC.

IF you're buying a new version - Lucky you.

[quote name='Ham fisted Bass' post='199962' date='May 15 2008, 09:58 PM']I've posted this elsewhere on BC, but before I seize the opportunity to launch into another rant about Mesa Boogie. Two points;

1 - This amp sounds wonderful.

2 - I dropped on a bad example.

Posted a week or so ago.

'Hi there - a word of caution regarding earlier models of this head.

I bought a combo (112) from a dealer 2nd hand - a well known dealer at that, based in Devon and famous for the guitars that John Paul Jones / Muse use, anyway this amp was in excellent cosmetic condition with added comments of 'yeah... we know the owner - he changes his stuff every couple of years, he weighed this in against a Zon Bass...blah blah blah...'

This amp worked fine for around 6 weeks and then..... it started cutting out after 20 - 30 mins use and would cut back in after a few seconds whilst annoying, once it cut back in it stay on Ok... then it failed for longer periods and would not cut in, then failed completely.. then working - I then picked up on 'issues' from the harmony central review pages.

I took it to a local amp tech, he pointed out seven major f**k ups in the internal assembly of the amp - the highlight being that in one place the PCB had been bi passed in favor of a bit of 'mid-air' soldering - this had to have been done in the factory in an attempt to produce a 'quick fix' - when he used the pcb circuit the 'fault' would repeat in a predictable cycle. My amp tech has since changed the values of components in the circuit into the valves by an order of magnitude (more compatible with what he would expect for this circuit) and the fault has gone, the amp sounds wonderful.

THIS IS NOT A REPAIR THIS IS ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING.....

I would love someone from Mesa Boogie to acknowledge the mistake but this is Mesa Boogie - they can't be wrong can they?

Look, buyer beware - it's a great amp but take care with 2nd hand.'

This experience has been 'shared' by others on BC.

IF you're buying a new version - Lucky you.[/quote].
You're not alone. Ive sold several and probably 60% of them have came back One or two of them have even been to mesa distributor several times for repair, and ive had two customers completely give up on them. Ive seen a few going cheap second hand and have always been tempted but the reliability faults have put me off. However the newer versions with the switchable input seem to have remedied the fault. Just cant seem to find any on the cheap haha

Just a quick note to say, I bought the amp today!

I'm now the proud owner of my own Scout!

Damn it's good! I haven't used many different amps and such before but this is easily the best tone I've ever heard!

Thanks for all the advice guys, I couldn't be more pleased!

[quote name='iain1985' post='199997' date='May 15 2008, 10:37 PM'].
You're not alone. Ive sold several and probably 60% of them have came back One or two of them have even been to mesa distributor several times for repair, and ive had two customers completely give up on them. Ive seen a few going cheap second hand and have always been tempted but the reliability faults have put me off. However the newer versions with the switchable input seem to have remedied the fault. Just cant seem to find any on the cheap haha[/quote]

A point of note:

A fault would suggest that it was working fine and then through component failure or whatever a fault developed. My point is that the early versions of this Amp - through reasons of poor electrical engineering at 'the home of tone' were second grade to start with.

A wider point is Mesa Engineering's disappointing responses - So to all of us in this 'exclusive' club (Oh dear) :)

[quote name='Ham fisted Bass' post='200981' date='May 17 2008, 12:26 PM']A point of note:

A fault would suggest that it was working fine and then through component failure or whatever a fault developed. My point is that the early versions of this Amp - through reasons of poor electrical engineering at 'the home of tone' were second grade to start with.

A wider point is Mesa Engineering's disappointing responses - So to all of us in this 'exclusive' club (Oh dear) :)[/quote]

So you got a bad one....

So your (possibly rightly) pi55ed off.....

So your tech found what he believed to bad engineering in YOUR amp, which has a history (that you dont know), and you can't actually prove the faults were Mesa's .....

My heart goes out to you, no it really does, however you've had your rant, you've let us know your mad about it .....

Now please stop going on about it as they are obviously lots of us that have Mesa equipment and are happy with it.

You've obviously not put the OP off buying his WS as his got it....

It just makes you sound very bitter.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='201236' date='May 17 2008, 08:38 PM']So you got a bad one....

So your tech found what he believed to bad engineering in YOUR amp, which has a history (that you dont know), and you can't actually prove the faults were Mesa's .....

My heart goes out to you, no it really does, however you've had your rant, you've let us know your mad about it .....

Now please stop going on about it as they are obviously lots of us that have Mesa equipment and are happy with it.

It just makes you sound very bitter.[/quote]

+1.

Seriously - I have no doubt that you're a lovely lad, but out of 19 posts, most of 'em follow a pattern of Genz/MESA paranoia.

Talk about other stuff! It'll do you good.

Just adding to all the Mesa love in here but isn't it cool how crazily responsive the eq controls are??

Like on my old laney there was less difference in a whole revolution of the 'bass' knob than there is in a tiny increment on the mesa.

Also, I have the 40hm one and read in the manual they will run at 2ohms with a cab?

In order to do this would I need to add another 4 or 8ohm cab?

Cheers guys!

Incidentally anyone know if the Mpulse is a much different type of sound?

[quote name='tylerlangan' post='201343' date='May 18 2008, 01:07 AM']Just adding to all the Mesa love in here but isn't it cool how crazily responsive the eq controls are??

Like on my old laney there was less difference in a whole revolution of the 'bass' knob than there is in a tiny increment on the mesa.

Also, I have the 40hm one and read in the manual they will run at 2ohms with a cab?

In order to do this would I need to add another 4 or 8ohm cab?

Cheers guys!

Incidentally anyone know if the Mpulse is a much different type of sound?[/quote]
I think... that an 8ohm cab will give you 2.67ohms which is unofficially fine.

Edited by Ham fisted Bass

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='201257' date='May 17 2008, 09:16 PM']+1.

Seriously - I have no doubt that you're a lovely lad, but out of 19 posts, most of 'em follow a pattern of Genz/MESA paranoia.

Talk about other stuff! It'll do you good.[/quote]

+2

Heck yeah.. So what's up with Genz Benz?

[quote name='The Burpster' post='201236' date='May 17 2008, 08:38 PM']So you got a bad one....

It just makes you sound very bitter.[/quote]
[i]You're not alone. Ive sold several and probably 60% of them have came back One or two of them have even been to mesa distributor several times for repair, and ive had two customers completely give up on them. Ive seen a few going cheap second hand and have always been tempted but the reliability faults have put me off. However the newer versions with the switchable input seem to have remedied the fault. Just cant seem to find any on the cheap haha [/i]

The above quote is not my words Mr Burpster - I could direct you to others, but won't.

BTW should you care to read my post(s) - I like the Walkabout, that's why I bought one - the cab is well designed - the amp sounds wonderful my amp had issues, I was telling of MY experiences. Should I lie when the OP was considering his purchase?

Bitter? Mad? - No.. Markbass and Genz Benz have moved me on from such thoughts....

[quote name='Ham fisted Bass' post='201364' date='May 18 2008, 02:55 AM'][i]You're not alone. Ive sold several and probably 60% of them have came back One or two of them have even been to mesa distributor several times for repair, and ive had two customers completely give up on them. Ive seen a few going cheap second hand and have always been tempted but the reliability faults have put me off. However the newer versions with the switchable input seem to have remedied the fault. Just cant seem to find any on the cheap haha [/i]

The above quote is not my words Mr Burpster - I could direct you to others, but won't.

BTW should you care to read my post(s) - I like the Walkabout, that's why I bought one - the cab is well designed - the amp sounds wonderful my amp had issues, I was telling of MY experiences. Should I lie when the OP was considering his purchase?

Bitter? Mad? - No.. Markbass and Genz Benz have moved me on from such thoughts....[/quote]

I could direct you to any number of bad reviews for any number of Amp manufacturers. I've had bad experiences with amps before (including Genz, who I have deep respect for), but I don't post my experiences on every thread involving the brand. I just accept that I had a dodgy one, or it wasn't right for me.

However, it's clear MESA had a flaky run of Walkabouts early on, and you're right to point that out when it's relevant. But...

[quote name='Ham fisted Bass' post='201364' date='May 18 2008, 02:55 AM']So to all of us in this 'exclusive' club (Oh dear)[/quote]

Where I come from, this is called 'p*ssing on someone's chips', and not in the spirit of the thread. IMO.

That said, if you took the time out to involve yourself in other topics on Basschat, it would look less like you're just grinding your axe.

Just sayin'.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='201372' date='May 18 2008, 08:54 AM']I could direct you to any number of bad reviews for any number of Amp manufacturers. I've had bad experiences with amps before (including Genz, who I have deep respect for), but I don't post my experiences on every thread involving the brand. I just accept that I had a dodgy one, or it wasn't right for me.

However, it's clear MESA had a flaky run of Walkabouts early on, and you're right to point that out when it's relevant. But...

Where I come from, this is called 'p*ssing on someone's chips', and not in the spirit of the thread. IMO.

That said, if you took the time out to involve yourself in other topics on Basschat, it would look less like you're just grinding your axe.

Just sayin'.[/quote]

Fair point M - 'axe grinding' over :) - Now this is 'off topic' but I have a new post involving some positive noises which a loaned Genz Shuttle 6.0 was making at a recent gig which is much more worthwhile MB