Why become a member? ×

Non 4 string social stigma?

mbellishment

At our gig on Saturday I had a guy come up to me afterwards and say "you don't really use that 5th string at all do you?" I answered that I do on most of the songs! It's not just about thudding away on the open B....... I definitely started using 5s again for economy of movement, added versatility, and of course the extended range.

I can usually spot the troll that is pointing out to his mate that you are not playing the B string, I always make sure I play some nice bits on in while they are looking, plectrum trolls are out there two always nice to play 8 songs with a pick while the troll tells his (uninterested) mates that you are a pick player and he is a proper player as he only uses fingers then put the pick away for the last few songs and chuck a bit of slap in two!

Wow, some strong opinions in this thread.

Aesthetics, you can't really judge people on. If someone prefers the looks of a 4 string P, then that is their perogative. Of course there are many extended range basses which can sound much like a P, though I can see the concern in some contexts. If I wanted to start a Neil Young tribute band, I might wonder whether the 9-string bassist at the audition will be able to contain himself in the heat of the moment, or indeed whether he'd be comfortable making his hi-tech handcrafted bass-machine sound as raw as the material required. Likewise, you might have a preconception or two to get around if, as mentioned before, a 7-string medieval weapon turned up to your western swing audtion.

Both my basses are 5's, though very much in the lineage of Fender designs. They would rarely look wildy out of place, and at and audition after a few bars I hope I'd be able to prove that I can get an appropriate sound and feel for a song, to the point that people won't worry about how I get those sounds. I only go below a low E when I feel it's warranted, and when it happens, it generally gets a positve response. Most musicains enjoy a tasefully used low note, and most punters seem impressed to see a 5'er, as if it is some kind of achievement!

I think that most working musicians understand that the musician is more important than the instrument, and if you can serve the music well, then you're in.

Almost paradoxically it tends to be the hobbyists who feel the strongest (either way) about this kind of thing, though why the 'pro-bashing' I'll never understand.

[Quote]Almost paradoxically it tends to be the hobbyists who feel the strongest (either way) about this kind of thing, though why the 'pro-bashing' I'll never understand.
[/quote]

...because it's less of an issue on the session scene, where most of the non-hobbyists reside.

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1356967485' post='1915771']
Threads like this remind me why I dislike the weird view that you often get in forums.
The bit up above about 5 s and 6s being woefully unfashionable made me giggle.

Guess it depends on your own sense of self worth and your ability to know what's the right tool for the job.

I come from a background that demands you be both an entertainer (functions most of my career) and a musician (taught in the brass band system and spent many years backing cabaret acts sight reading parts chucked at me 30mins before curtain up).

In such situations you get used to the fact that you must entertain (that's why customers pay you) and it's also important to actually be a musician who can be relied upon to do a job.

If I bring at least a 5 with me, it'll definitely go down to the occasional low D or C that the song demands.
If I bring a 6 with me, I might make the higher up notes more fluently without bothering the dusty end of the fingerboard too much.
Anyone I would choose to play with understands this. It's about tools for the job, not pointless jousting on internet forums about the why, wherefores and imponderables of one bass over another.

I can't possibly split hairs on the importance of being both an entertainer and a musician. Everyone who I work with and have worked with knows this too. That's what we're there for. To not be an entertainer is not worth paying money to watch. To not be a musician renders you unqualified to be up there.

For anyone not blessed with this understanding, I genuinely fail to comprehend how you might not know this.
[/quote]

I agree, but what about if it isn't work, and its fun or a hobby. Most bands I see just do it for the fact they love music, not to earn.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1356979386' post='1916067']
I'll add here that I've played around Sweden extensively and know of some of the best working bass players I've come across using 5 stringers, almost exclusively. There's just no truth in that they don't. Silly...
[/quote]
You obviously played here during the 90's. That's not the way it looks here now. It doesn't sound as you've lived in Stockholm either. Who cares anyway, music is lost to the "entertainers" a long time ago.

How did we ever make it out of the leo fender p bass years. What happened to baving fun and giving people satisfaction.
Do sportsmen get the same grief about football boots they wear? I think not cuz they all do the same job. Why dont the 4 string army wise up and embrace the future. Just because you cant play a five string dont give other folk grief about it. Lets be honest if you are playing in a pub half the audience will be too oiled to care by the time you are on stage after ten oclock. All that matters to me is that i do my job accurately and consistently. If you are more interested in looks over sound then trythe x factor show cuz theyll have space for you im sure. They will love u bass barbie.

Edited by bassman344

[quote]...because it's less of an issue on the session scene, where most of the non-hobbyists reside.[/quote]

Indeed. Looking back I think the 'never understand' was a little passive-agressive on my part. ;)

[quote]I agree, but what about if it isn't work, and its fun or a hobby. Most bands I see just do it for the fact they love music, not to earn.[/quote]

The two aren't mutually exclusive. I love music, and playing music. If it can be my work, I can do more of it! Nonetheless, if I were getting paid a good chunk to do so, I would certainly play a 4-string Fender (I love 'em too!), but I wouldn't be able to justify getting one for a non-paying gig which I can cover with my own basses already. And frankly, in fact from experience, I can say that a gig producing no income with a band who put pressure on each other to spend good money for the sake of image alone is not one I would consider fun. I'm 'projecting' here, but bands I've played with like that in the past have had that as just the tip of the iceberg. Band politics can be very nasty if handled wrong, and if someone is anal enough to complain about the strings on my bass, then alarm bells for deeper running issues will start ringing for me!

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1356980970' post='1916098'] Why dont the 4 string army wise up and embrace the future. Just because you cant play a five string dont give other folk grief about it.
[/quote]

Attitudes like that are why people don't like bassist that play 5 & 6 strings, more strings doesn't make you better,

[quote name='MrTaff' timestamp='1356982644' post='1916124']
Attitudes like that are why people don't like bassist that play 5 & 6 strings, more strings doesn't make you better,
[/quote]

If you read the post you will actually notice that I didnt say it made you better; I just asked that you dont give others grief if they choose to be different. If you have your own insecurities I am sorry if you feel bothered by my suggestion but please dont put words in that weren't there.
It's a tongue in cheek comment. Ironic in how it works the other way around.

In other words as a five string player I don't criticise the four stringers or their choice of bass. Come to think of it, in 25 years I don't think I have ever once complained about someone's gear or refused to play with them or told them to go buy a different piece of kit.
Kinda bad manners. What works for you, works for you. 4 isnt better than 5 or 6 or anything else for that matter.

Edited by bassman344

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1356784180' post='1913532']
It boils down to froth v substance - unfortunately there's a certain amount of froth around amongst the music scene.

[/quote]

Nuff said. If your not part of the substance what does that make you.

I think we spend time playing where we are wanted and if you are not welcome you won't likely be back. It's natural musical seleciton.
I would play whatever I feel comfortable with. 4, 5, 6 or whatever. But it would be because I want to and feel right about it. Not because some primadonna with an image problem demands it.

I dont see anyone telling this man that playing a five string would be a problem.....
Id like to see a precision/jazz 4 with flatwounds sound that harmonically rich....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBWY8oAnnww"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBWY8oAnnww[/url]

Edited by basslondon

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1356988818' post='1916198']
Here's a thought.

Imagine if Leo Fender had put out the P bass looking like a 5 string BC Rich Black Widow back all those years ago. Would that shape now be the norm and the four, 'rounded body' be the supposed imposter?
[/quote]

Yes.

[quote name='basslondon' timestamp='1356987718' post='1916190']
I dont see anyone telling this man that playing a five string would be a problem.....
Id like to see a precision/jazz 4 with flatwounds sound that harmonically rich....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBWY8oAnnww"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBWY8oAnnww[/url]
[/quote]

What if he was auditioning for a Sex Pistols tribute band?

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1356988986' post='1916200']
What if he was auditioning for a Sex Pistols tribute band?
[/quote]

heaven help us.... if ever a band were all about attitude and image it were the 'pistols........ i thought we were talking music here.