Why become a member? ×

Oh dear, just got 'music shopped'

gafbass02

We must be just dead lucky up here in Boro 'cos every time I've been in to my local shop, Steve James, the staff are welcoming, the stock great, and the service impeccable.
On the one occasion I've encountered arsey staff, in Red Dog Edinburgh, I vowed not to go back in.

There used to be a Music Shop in Edinburgh next to the Usher Hall; it was owned & run by an old Polish guy who'd had it for donkey's years. He used to complain that it was always quiet, people weren't buying anything. One day I went in for strap buttons, & was told all his straps had buckles or clasps. I got the same answer to "strap studs". No matter how I tried to explain to him what I wanted he took it the wrong way.
Eventually I pointed to them on a Strat he had, "aaah, he said, no - you can't buy them on their own, why would anyone need to replace those".
The shop closed down a few months later.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1356704724' post='1912656']There used to be a Music Shop in Edinburgh next to the Usher Hall ...[/quote]
I was in that store once, and once only. During the course of a short conversation he commented that the guitars he stocked were too good for the way people played these days (these days being the mid 90s). Seem to recall he made a few other such comments, as well as imply I wouldn't be a good enough guitarist to try any of his stock, even though he'd never heard me play. And also recall he had a Gretsch White Falcon in the window for years.

Edited by noelk27

I had a wonderful experience in Northwich Music Centre (and always do) yesterday, went in to kill half an hour, ended up jamming on a Modern Player Jazz for the best part of 2 hours. The guy is brilliant, he even let me have a furkle with a couple of compressor pedals (I'm thinking of getting that Ashdown one, sounds well nice!)

Some music shops are excellent, with staff that understand that to really get an idea of whether or not you DO want a particular instrument you have to spend some time with it and push it around.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1356710940' post='1912795']
I was in that store once, and once only. During the course of a short conversation he commented that the guitars he stocked were too good for the way people played these days (these days being the mid 90s). Seem to recall he made a few other such comments, as well as imply I wouldn't be a good enough guitarist to try any of his stock, even though he'd never heard me play. And also recall he had a Gretsch White Falcon in the window for years.
[/quote]

:lol: Yeah, that's the one, he used to get loads of stuff in that you just knew he'd been talked into by a sales rep.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1356628846' post='1911814']
You don't at any point mention what you actually said to him, such as instead of [i]letting it slide[/i], saying "Yeah, if I like it, but not in that colour"? Or did you say that when you handed it back?
I've had good bad and indifferent service in many kind of shop, but it's a two way street. If you don't tell them what you're looking for & in what colour you could - to them - be just another Saturday afternoon widdler about to make a £1300+ bass into an ex-demo discounted item.
[/quote]

Did mention that ideally Mapleglo isn't my colour of choice and asked when their next delivery of Rics was due to which he said whenever they make them. Still the guy decided to start putting it through the till. The whole idea of going to a shop to buy high end gear they do wanna try it out and try it out thoroughly, I wouldn't expect him to appreciate the service he gave if the roles were reversed, that's what I was taught when I was a waiter, don't give them a service that you wouldn't appreciate yourself.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1356640354' post='1911994']
I get a pretty similar experience in there which is why I try to avoid them. They were always rude in the old north end shop years ago too. If I really must use them, I'll buy on their webpage and then go and collect it as they're next to my house.

Jamesbass - you're better off going and speaking to george at PJ's guitar on Highland road in Southsea. They've looked after me for years and he had a Ricky quite recently too.
[/quote]

Yeah same here Jim, even resulted to buying my latest batch of leads from Amazon of all places and at a few quid cheaper than in store too!

I was in PJ's about 3 weeks ago and had a long chat with George about the Ric he had in, it was a 74 4001 but the pick ups were really worn out and needed repair work on them, the wires in the bridge pick up were shot to bits! Even with the repair work needed doing on it he wanted £1250+ I might as well buy a new one and forge it's own history aha ;)

Agree on the points made about Nevada in Portsmouth - last time I went in there it felt like I was troubling a member of staff by wanting to buy something - is it just bass players that get rubbish service there? How do these places stay in business in the current climate!?

[quote name='Jayben' timestamp='1356711349' post='1912800']
I had a wonderful experience in Northwich Music Centre (and always do) yesterday, went in to kill half an hour, ended up jamming on a Modern Player Jazz for the best part of 2 hours. The guy is brilliant, he even let me have a furkle with a couple of compressor pedals (I'm thinking of getting that Ashdown one, sounds well nice!)

Some music shops are excellent, with staff that understand that to really get an idea of whether or not you DO want a particular instrument you have to spend some time with it and push it around.
[/quote]

I'll +1 that. They have a great big jar with all the bits and pieces that you will need at some point and charge next to naff all for them. Great customer service.

[quote name='Paulgm1' timestamp='1356724723' post='1913014']
Agree on the points made about Nevada in Portsmouth - last time I went in there it felt like I was troubling a member of staff by wanting to buy something - is it just bass players that get rubbish service there? How do these places stay in business in the current climate!?
[/quote]

For a lot of these shops, a hell of a lot of business is done online, no customer service required. The online business carries the shop front.

Jas

[quote name='Angel' timestamp='1356778931' post='1913447']
Sounds like it was ideal service to me. I like them to plug in, check it works and then bugger off out of earshot!
[/quote]

Fair point! It was mainly the grunting and lack iof any sort of attempt at manners or even eye contact that got me!

[quote name='Cyrene' timestamp='1356703753' post='1912624']
We must be just dead lucky up here in Boro 'cos every time I've been in to my local shop, Steve James, the staff are welcoming, the stock great, and the service impeccable.
On the one occasion I've encountered arsey staff, in Red Dog Edinburgh, I vowed not to go back in.
[/quote]

Steve James' is one of the best shops for customer service IMO, the second being Uncle Tony's in 'Boro, near the bus station (although I hear he moved) both run by musicians who care, almost to the point of only regarding the money side of going into their shops as a necessary inconvenience.

Can you spot Steve [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DogsIntheDynamiteJetSaloon.JPG"]here[/url]?

[quote name='SteveO' timestamp='1356803458' post='1913821']

Steve James' is one of the best shops for customer service IMO, the second being Uncle Tony's in 'Boro, near the bus station (although I hear he moved) both run by musicians who care, almost to the point of only regarding the money side of going into their shops as a necessary inconvenience.

Can you spot Steve [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DogsIntheDynamiteJetSaloon.JPG"]here[/url]?
[/quote]

Back on tour soon too!

My local music shop is hit and miss.

I have spent loads in there over the years. He never seems to recognise me :(
When ever I go in to a music shop I usually say that I am new to playing and want to see how the bass/guitar whatever is like.
The chap was about to hand me a guitar and changed his mind and said "come back when you have learned to play!"

Perplexed, I left and went over to Hollywood music in Stony Stratford and got a really good deal on Takemene acoustic.

I still bought a keyboard from there before Christmas :) I told him I was interested in a Yamaha one and pointed at it. He started to play it and I said "I know what it sounds like I just want to buy it...!"
Very rude of me but he has never recognised me over the last ten years of patronage and I just wanted to buy it and go home :)

Must admit, I`ve never had poor service from any of the music shops I`ve been in. I think this may be be due to I only go to them if I`m looking at something (so virtually certain to buy, unless it plays/sounds rubbish), so usually phone ahead to ask them about it, and to put it by for me. Plus, asking for the sales-persons name so I know who to ask for when I get there, save explaining it all again. I suppose this way, they know they are virtually certain of a sale, so don`t want to mess it up by being offhand/unhelpful.

I always get quite decent service in shops but maybe it's because I act like I mean business (even if I'm skint). I assume the shop staff can spot a tyre kicking timewaster as soon as they come into the shop and their hearts sink if they ask to play a bass or guitar.

Act like you mean business (and possibly mention an inheritance) and you'll have them crawling all over you.

I don't know if he's still there, but there used to be a staff member in Coda who was both rude and aggressive at times. I couldn't believe his interactions with other members of the public sometimes when I was browsing. One guy came in to see why his guitar wasn't fixed yet and he got a right aggressive earful. After he left the staff member said "right, I'm making sure his is bottom of the pile" - nice!

He was there for some years but I haven't seen him in a long time now.