Why become a member? ×

Cabinets to compliment a Barefaced Compact?

bigevilman

I have a little conundrum......I used to play 2 compacts stacked with my bh500 - really nice setup, played well and threw out a great sound. Due to financial reasons I had to get rid of one of the cabs.

I am now in a position to get another cab, but would like to hear peoples opinions abou what to pair it with? I wouldn't mind trying a BC212 with it, as I think it would work quite well. Has anyone else tried this combination?

Compact + Midget = very good. The Midget adds a little bit of snarl and bite to the Compacts warm roundness. I`d think - though not tried - that a Midget T would also be very good. Whichever though, I`d look at another Barefaced cab, for the stacking ability, plus the way Alex designs the cabs to pair well together.

If you're looking for a cheaper option, I had great results pairing a Trace Elliot 1153 with a Compact. The TE was deeper sounding and the combination was excellent. I got it as a temporary cab while I saved for the second Compact but, apart from the weight, I would have happily kept it.

I was recently in this situation. Normally the Compact was fine by itself but other times I had trouble hearing myself clearly when stood very close to it.I took a gamble and bought a GK mbe212, £209 from Thomann. Ideally I'd have like another Compact but funds just don't stretch to that to another at the moment.
All I can say is that I've been knocked out by the sound of the Compact./212 combination.The 212 produces more mids, My treble control on the PF500 is now at 9 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock, all other tone settings on 12 o'clock and the tone backed off a little on the P bass...... oh and the volume backed off from where I used to have it.
I love the sound I'm getting now, you can hear the characteristics of each cab and they compliment each other well IMHO.
The 212 tweeter is useless, unless you like fret noise, so is permanently off.
I'm happy with my sound now, the band likes it too so £200 well spent.

Hws the fit of the gk cab? I believe the tc cab is about the same width at the compact so wouldn't look out of place. Cosmetic I know, but I like things to look good as well as sound good ;) I would get anoteher compact but seeing as I have a baby coming I've gotta think of byying prams over cabs lol

The width of the GK is pretty much the same width as the Compact but around an inch deeper. I have the older version of the Compact with the plastic corners which didn't line up very well with the corners of the GK so I made a platform from hard foam insulation covered with black gaffa, weighs nothing, undetectable from a distance and possibly isolates the 2 lightweight cabs from vibration. One of these days I'll spray the GK grille black....or maybe not. :)

Taking the topic title seriously, you say you are looking for something that will [i][b]compliment [/b][/i]a Compact.

Try the Compact + Midget combination. Seriously. You'll kick yourself later when you hear one if you go and buy something else!

The Compact makes the Midget sound even better. The Midget makes the Compact sound even better.

[quote name='pikeman' timestamp='1356513849' post='1910584']
I was recently in this situation. Normally the Compact was fine by itself but other times I had trouble hearing myself clearly when stood very close to it.[/quote]That's because you don't have ears in your ankles. The cure? Tilt the cab back.
As for the OPs question, if one cab isn't enough, use two of the same model. The results with any other combination, even with another BFB model, are unpredictable at best.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1356702210' post='1912601']if one cab isn't enough, use two of the same model. The results with any other combination, even with another BFB model, are unpredictable at best.[/quote]

I thought that the BFB cabs were designed to be modular and that different combinations would work well together to produce different (but good) sounds?
If the OP likes the sound of a compact but wants a "bigger" sound, then a second compact would seem to be the best option. Picking one up second hand would save a few quid too (good luck with that!). That said, I have heard extremely favourable comments about the compact/midget combination... ;)

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1356702210' post='1912601']
That's because you don't have ears in your ankles. The cure? Tilt the cab back.

[/quote]

Doesn't really sort the problem though, does it...?
All that does is enable the user to hear what he is playing... doesn't help it out front in the mix..

If the sound is muffled or doesn't come through, relatively close, it is pure luck that it might work
when you have no ears outfront to regulate it further.