Why become a member? ×

Thinking about getting a custom bass

thedontcarebear

I know there are builders around here like Shuker, RIM, AC etc, but whenever I start writing an e-mail to one I get a little way then have no idea what to tell them as I'm not 100% sure on what I want, apart from a singlecut! What kind of stuff do they want to hear to give a rough price?

I've had a few custom builds done and each time I've given the builder some specifics and some ideas. i.e. you want a single cut, do you want it finished in a colour, sunburst, a specific type of wood, or more vaguely just a light, brown swirly wood ? If you've got pictures of other guitars you like the look of send them pics. If you have a type of bass you really like, tell them. They can get scales sizes, pickup types etc. from all this.
Tell them what you want it to sound like ? Maybe there's other basses you like, or particular songs you like the sound of the bass.
I guess what I'm saying is tell them as much as you can.

Edited by largo

Any good luthier will talk you through all the options, with examples either from their own work or other makers basses.

I'm about to commission a Sei build and recently spent several hours with Martin Petersen matching up my ideas with what he knew would work for the sound, feel and look of the instrument I was after, and that's just for the woods and shape of the neck and body...

As well as Sei, ACG, Shuker and RIM are all well regarded around these forums and all will be able to guide you through the decissions you need to make to find the right bass for you.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='20755' date='Jun 20 2007, 01:47 PM']I know there are builders around here like Shuker, RIM, AC etc, but whenever I start writing an e-mail to one I get a little way then have no idea what to tell them as I'm not 100% sure on what I want, apart from a singlecut! What kind of stuff do they want to hear to give a rough price?[/quote]

It's s tricky one first time round.. I was a bit aprehensive when I first specced out my bass to Jon Shuker but he is great at it.
So as Big Red and Largo have said just call up with the bits you know - like how many strings, headed/headless... single cut you've sussed.
There's a whole lot of stuff you won't even think off til they ask but they will take you through the options and what difference things make .. Like maple or laminated necks and then what the different types of laminate will do to the sound etc..

Jon Shuker was brilliant at taking my confused ramblings and make a bass out of them and I am sure the people you listed would also be able to do that.

Whateve r you get have LEDs on the side :) Oh and if you go to Jon Shuker's STAY OUT OF THE WOOD STORE!!
:huh:
OG

+1 BigRed. A good luthier should be able to steer you through the maze of options - tone woods (and their different properties), figured tops, different finishes, scale length, neck configuration, pick ups and pick up configurations, pre-amps, hardware, string spacing, neck dimensions etc etc. The options available are staggering. You therefore need to do as much research as you can in terms of what you really want - sound, appearance, playability (and not least your budget) to help them build you want you want.

Hi
Sorting out what a customer wants is all part of the service from any builder. Some people have a fairly good idea of what they want woods/body shape/pickups etc. others have a few parts sorted out and are open to suggestions with regard to the rest. However they pretty much all change over the course of discussing the final spec. I enjoy the whole process as I can put in my suggestions and pick up a few more for the next time as people come up with ideas which I might not have. It does not matter how much or how little info you have to start off with you should get any help you need to sort out your bass.

Cheers
Alan