Why become a member? ×

Alembic

marcus bell

In 2012 I bought a used Alembic series bass from a seller in the USA and had it shipped to the Alembic workshop by the seller so that I could collect it. get a factory tour and get to their annual California meet. They are completely dedicated to delivering top quality in building their instruments from choice of raw materials through construction to setup and after sales service.
For the Series basses, Ron Wickersham, can spend many days in his lab on one bass tirelessly swapping and matching the pickups to an individual bass and calibrating the electronics and noise cancellation so that when the bass leaves the factory everything is as perfect as it can be for that bass. There are no third party builders for them and no labour workshop somewhere else making the lower priced models, they all are made by the craftsmen at the workshop.

My particular bass was made in 2003 and when the bass got to the factory, Alembic were not happy with the way the plating had tarnished in that period of time, so they made a complete new set of hardware, bridge, sustain block, tailpiece and adjustable nut for the bass and replated, all under warranty. All that and I wasn't even the original owner of the bass!!!. How many bass makers would give that level of service for a bass of that age. I doubt many would do that. I'm very impressed with them in every respect from sound to build quality. I'm not a fan of many of their body shapes but the one I have suits me.

Marcus, I hope you find the right one.

Jazzyvee

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 1

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1357190052' post='1918863']
In 2012 I bought a used Alembic series bass from a seller in the USA and had it shipped to the Alembic workshop by the seller so that I could collect it. get a factory tour and get to their annual California meet. They are completely dedicated to delivering top quality in building their instruments from choice of raw materials through construction to setup and after sales service.
For the Series basses, Ron Wickersham, can spend many days in his lab on one bass tirelessly swapping and matching the pickups to an individual bass and calibrating the electronics and noise cancellation so that when the bass leaves the factory everything is as perfect as it can be for that bass. There are no third party builders for them and no labour workshop somewhere else making the lower priced models, they all are made by the craftsmen at the workshop.

My particular bass was made in 2003 and when the bass got to the factory, Alembic were not happy with the way the plating had tarnished in that period of time, so they made a complete new set of hardware, bridge, sustain block, tailpiece and adjustable nut for the bass and replated, all under warranty. All that and I wasn't even the original owner of the bass!!!. How many bass makers would give that level of service for a bass of that age. I doubt many would do that. I'm very impressed with them in every respect from sound to build quality. I'm not a fan of many of their body shapes but the one I have suits me.

[/quote]

This reads quite impressive.

I don't mean to be controversial and start a whole sequence of this and that, but why did it tarnish in the first place in only 9 years to a degree where they (Alembic) were unhappy with it ?
Would someone who lives in the European area be fit to get the same level of attention under warranty I wonder.....

:blush:

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1357231608' post='1919507']

I don't mean to be controversial and start a whole sequence of this and that, but why did it tarnish in the first place in only 9 years to a degree where they (Alembic) were unhappy with it ?
Would someone who lives in the European area be fit to get the same level of attention under warranty I wonder.....

[/quote]
At the time my bass was made apparently they were using a different plater for their hardware and the plater cut corners on some of their orders and unfortunately mine was one of those. Needless to say they don't use that company any longer. I think European owners would get the same attention. However if I remember correctly the owner pays shipping out to the USA and Alembic pays shipping back for warranty work.

I really only play short-scale Alembics these days (well those and a Status Streamline). I've had pretty much everything and find that Alembic shorties really work for me, above and beyond all else. I don't want to get involved in the hype around these things, but for me, Alembics have some stand-out features - especially the unique tone and attention to detail. The innovative components and build philosophy are well documented above and I'd agree with most of what I've read. I do find however, that Alembics are fairly high maintenance basses. Necks need regular tweaks and electronics can be idiosyncratic. Then there's the ergonomics - neck dive is frequently an issue, and the small-bodied basses don't balance well on a strap (for me, though I'm used to it now). Also, I would like to see Alembic move to dual action truss-rods - just a lot easier (though I'm sure the company has its reasons). Fittings and finish on all my Alembics have been superb - genuinely beyond anything else I've owned (Wal, Fodera, Celinder, Alleva, Overwater, Nordy, Sadowsky, Pangborn...you get the picture). I've kind of voted with my feet - expensive yes, but not stupidly so in the second hand market. Reassuringly, I picked up a less expensive Alembic a few months ago - soon to be sold, watch this space, it's 34" scale - and it was every bit as lovingly built as my other Alembics. There is a professional pride at Alembic that is reflected in the quality of the instruments that bear the company's name

• Like 1

[quote name='lozbass' timestamp='1357299494' post='1920505']
I really only play short-scale Alembics these days (well those and a Status Streamline). I've had pretty much everything and find that Alembic shorties really work for me, above and beyond all else. I don't want to get involved in the hype around these things, but for me, Alembics have some stand-out features - especially the unique tone and attention to detail. The innovative components and build philosophy are well documented above and I'd agree with most of what I've read. I do find however, that Alembics are fairly high maintenance basses. Necks need regular tweaks and electronics can be idiosyncratic. Then there's the ergonomics - neck dive is frequently an issue, and the small-bodied basses don't balance well on a strap (for me, though I'm used to it now). Also, I would like to see Alembic move to dual action truss-rods - just a lot easier (though I'm sure the company has its reasons). Fittings and finish on all my Alembics have been superb - genuinely beyond anything else I've owned (Wal, Fodera, Celinder, Alleva, Overwater, Nordy, Sadowsky, Pangborn...you get the picture). I've kind of voted with my feet - expensive yes, but not stupidly so in the second hand market. Reassuringly, I picked up a less expensive Alembic a few months ago - soon to be sold, watch this space, it's 34" scale - and it was every bit as lovingly built as my other Alembics. There is a professional pride at Alembic that is reflected in the quality of the instruments that bear the company's name
[/quote]

This post puts it in a nutshell for me . Alembics are not for everybody , but they are truly unique instruments anfd their overall quality and the integrity of the company as a whole is beyond question . No other bass sounds like an Alembic .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1357306789' post='1920685']
This post puts it in a nutshell for me . Alembics are not for everybody , but they are truly unique instruments anfd their overall quality and the integrity of the company as a whole is beyond question . No other bass sounds like an Alembic .
[/quote]

Quite a nutshell. And so right.

They are not for everybody - I can't afford one.

:unsure: ££££££

Edited by bassman344

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1357310723' post='1920762']
Quite a nutshell. And so right.

They are not for everybody - I can't afford one.

:unsure: ££££££
[/quote]

Even if you could afford one , you may find that they do not suit you in one way or another . I have coveted one since for well over thirty years , but in the late 80s when I could first afford one and tried one with a view to buying I found that the ones I liked the best weren't the classic Series 1 and 2 designs I had grown up oggling , and the more modest models at that time didn't suit me ideally either , so subsequently never bought one . More lately I have been casting my eye over the new Balance K Omega model , which is a new slightly more compact and allegedly lighter and better balanced version of the classic models , and it has reawakened my Alembic cravings , even though I have absolutely no intention of buying one

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1357231608' post='1919507']

[/quote]

Yes you would, however you would have to send the bass to the US. Ron, Mica and family are extremely attentive to their instruments and customers. I blame it on Ron being too nice....LOL!

Alembics are built to stay with you a lifetime. And last more then your lifetime. I have an Alembic Excel from 2000 that is mint, and it really is a great instrument.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1356451140' post='1910297']
sorry but there is lots of skill involved in and rare materials used in lots of high end bass makers... alot of instrument manufacturers rely on there brand name and what famous players use there instruments.. fodera are the most obvious example... they seem to think they can charge twice as much as luthiers like Martin Peterson, Nordstrand, sadowsky... imo its a bit of a piss take.. A Sei or Nordstrand bass is easily as well made as an alembic, alleva, or fodera.. but strangely they seem to inflate there prices...

lets face it the market for electric basses is so over engineered its silly, what with zero frets, through body stringing etc...... its nothing to with how the audience will appreciate the sound, its more to do with the bassist that plays it.. dont get me wrong i love playing a well made instrument, but there is a limit (imo) to what you can pay, to get very well made instrument that will give you optimum performance.. when you get to prices like 4/5000 its just over priced.. but i guess you pays your money you take your choice

i would still love an Alembic Rouge 5 though.. incredible instrument
[/quote]

Since I have a relationship with one of those super high end builders, I can tell you that yes, to a degree, price is subject to the market, which is driven by the endorsing players. Fodera was probably the second boutique builder in, AFTER Alembic, who was clearly first. Fodera slogged until the day Anthony Jackson walked in the door, and then literally blew up after Vic Wooten came along. I know Jason, Joey and Vinnie and they really do build boutique basses with amazing amounts of attention to detail. Does it justify the price? To some maybe no, to me, yes. if they truly weren't worth the dough no one would buy them.

Alembics actually are cheaper, and in my humble opinion are as good (if not better) then the Foderas. Why? Because the same building and ethic that you see now at other boutique builders started with Alembic and continues to this day. Ron Wickersham and Rick Turner really did it right from the start.

I think the best tribute to Alembic is the Aria Pro II SB series of basses and the Ibanez Musician series, that clearly emulated the Alembic style and quality. Brass bridges and nuts, through neck, advanced active electronics (for the day). The ONLY one doing it back then was Alembic. Everyone else was trying to make a better mass production bass.

Roger Sadowsky is and incredible builder. But his basses were designed and are built to be much, much better versions of classic basses. And he does hand build them, and they are great.

Check out Brubakerguitars.com to see the type of stuff my boy Kevin does. Is it worth the $3000 or so? I'll let you be the judge.

Not every bass is made for every player. While I own boutique basses (J. Backlund Design JBD-800B, Brubaker KXB-5 Custom, Alembic Excel and an old Carl Thompson) the ones I play in public most really are the ones that match my style. Since that's pick playing punk/pop/alternative/new country, it means the Backlund, my Gamma Custom Tuxedo P Bass and my Vaccaro Generator X spend more time in my hands.

My Alembic is a little more, "classic" in that it has just one Alembic FatBoy pickup in the sweetspot. It gives me more of the P bass like tones then some of the Alembics, but I can really dial in most of the killer Alembic tones we all know and love. I tend to describe it as the "P bass for slappy tappity players.

I've had a few Alembics and I have to say that they really are stunning instruments and nothing feels quite like the high end models.

They are very idiosyncratic and there are elements about them that a lot of people find hard to live with. Meanwhile other people love them for these little touches and will never part with theirs.

The last one I owned was fabulous and it made me feel a bit 'special' when I grabbed it off the rack in a way that few other basses ever have.

In the end I realised I was unlikely to gig with it (those idiosyncrasies at play again!) and I sold it to someone who loves it.

They are a lot of money (although nowhere near as much as they list in their web site if you buy through a US dealer) but if they make you feel a way something else doesn't then who's to say they aren't 'value for money'?

• 8 months later...

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1356385833' post='1909891']

As I look around. . . ..

Not many people constantly playing Rics, or Alembics may I tentatively suggest.....? Everyone's playing different stuff apart from Lemmy whose spine is probably hewn from a Ric 4003. I love the guy and his music, always have and always will. Motorhead are all that never changed in my schooldays.

If Ric would do something about the awful topographical situation around the bridge pup and the U bend from hell it might tempt me back but until then I will admire how they look but despise how they play in my hands. Open Ric-heart surgery to adapt to a u-bend free version leaves a trough which is just a mess. See pic. Why not make the two pups the same as the neck pup and lose the drama.
[/quote]

And yet having been through all sorts of basses I still prefer my Rics 30-odd years on.

FWIW I had 2 Alembics and they were the best-made basses I've ever had, and I've had Status, Sei, Wal, Jaydee etc. They were also far better made IMO than any other high end stuff I've tried (incFodera etc). I only sold the first to fund the second and only sold the second because of back problems. Ric, Alembic and Sei are by far my favourite basses and I've tried most stuff out there.

I thoroughly enjoyed my Alembic Spoiler - apart from the weight (c.11lb) which forced me to sell it. Fabulous basses with amazing build quality and a unique sound. I would love to get hold of a short scale Stanley Clark or (even better) Brown bass but they come up for sale so infrequently and for more bucks than I can muster (if anyone ever wants to sell one for less than £3k drop me a PM)

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1380411841' post='2225048']
I thoroughly enjoyed my Alembic Spoiler - apart from the weight (c.11lb) which forced me to sell it. Fabulous basses with amazing build quality and a unique sound. I would love to get hold of a short scale Stanley Clark or (even better) Brown bass but they come up for sale so infrequently and for more bucks than I can muster (if anyone ever wants to sell one for less than £3k drop me a PM)
[/quote]
FWIW my SC Deluxe weighed about 11lbs too.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1380412006' post='2225050']
FWIW my SC Deluxe weighed about 11lbs too.
[/quote]
I am guessing that was cocobolo faced then, as that wood (though my favourite looks-wise) weighs like an anchor! I was recently offered a Brown Bass from a US seller that weighed about 9 pounds but the issue was that - with import duty and shipping - it would have been sell-a-kidney expensive (about £4.5k)

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1357317590' post='1920981']
Since I have a relationship with one of those super high end builders, I can tell you that yes, to a degree, price is subject to the market, which is driven by the endorsing players. Fodera was probably the second boutique builder in, AFTER Alembic, who was clearly first. Fodera slogged until the day Anthony Jackson walked in the door, and then literally blew up after Vic Wooten came along. I know Jason, Joey and Vinnie and they really do build boutique basses with amazing amounts of attention to detail. Does it justify the price? To some maybe no, to me, yes. if they truly weren't worth the dough no one would buy them.
[/quote]
Pedant/ON
I'm not sure your timelines are totally clear. I undertood Victor Wooten had #037 bass that Joey and Vinne made in 1983 and they gave it to Victor on the understand he'd pay them back for it when he could.

Originally, Vinnie had started working for Stuart Spector and (according to Ken Smith) was also involved in Smith basses as they were getting established. Spector, Smith and Steinberger all worked out of the same co-op in Brooklyn for a while. Vinne met Joey there who was a local player and sales repping for Smith at the time.
Pedant/OFF

BTW here's my Alembic being played.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbEKzxu7MVU[/media]

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1380412689' post='2225054']

I am guessing that was cocobolo faced then, as that wood (though my favourite looks-wise) weighs like an anchor! I was recently offered a Brown Bass from a US seller that weighed about 9 pounds but the issue was that - with import duty and shipping - it would have been sell-a-kidney expensive (about £4.5k)
[/quote]
Most of the SCDs I've played are pretty heavy, and yes a lot of that's down to cocobolo facings ('extremely beautiful timber but extremely dense). I have an SCD with Buckeye and it's mercifully light at about 9lbs (light but still doesn't balance too well on a strap). The BB is also about 9lbs - it's myrtle core with walnut facings and mahogany in the neck - I think the old style brass and ebony string retainer (rather than all brass) helps to take a bit of weight out, and it looks lovely. The SII is a joke - thick cocobolo facings and the series pickups - a tiny little thing but it weighs around 12.5lbs.

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1380412689' post='2225054']

[/quote]

Mine had rosewood facings, which were standard on the SCD. Bear in mind it was solid-bodied whereas the Brown Bass is hollow; I once played a BB and it felt far lighter.

Also bear in mind the SC shape balances pretty poorly, which may be an issue if you have back or neck problems as I have; it was the only issue the bass had for me and I tended to play it sitting down to minimize the strain on my neck.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1380451459' post='2225337']
Mine had rosewood facings, which were standard on the SCD. Bear in mind it was solid-bodied whereas the Brown Bass is hollow; I once played a BB and it felt far lighter.
[/quote]

The Brown bass is a Series bass and all standard/omega shaped Series basses are chambered to reduce weight. I'm not sure if other body shape variants (like the Entwhistle bass above) are.