Why become a member? ×

First gig on bass on two years... Massive random nerves fail :-/

gafbass02

I'm starting in ten minutes, its only gonna be the second time I've played with the whole band, and I'm uncommonly bricking it! First song is 'soul with a capital S' too, so its straight in.
I've not been nervous like this in yeeeeeears!! It's actually hard to type :-/

EDIT: the reason I posted the above was due to a sudden and bizarre and very random nerves fail. Full on trembler...out of nowhere despite two decades gigging. Wtf?!!?
Anyone else had that?

Edited by gafbass02

Cheers all. I don't know why I was so nervous, given sone of the places I've played and things I've been lucky enough to do, you'd think a gig in my local pub would be the last thing to trigger what's one of only a handful of times I've suffered with nerves in twenty years of solid, regular gigging. But it sure did!!

The fact that many of the tunes I didn't previously know, such as 'love rears its ugly head' by living colour and a little conversation didnt help, along with the fact that many of them the first time I was playing lots of the songs with the full band was right there on stage.
Even that's weird given that I used to play house bass for an open mic band learning songs and keys on the spot for three hours, and have previously gigged with bands with no rehearsal at all, so this massive nerves fail really came out of nowhere :-/
Luckily the band are very talented, the sound was good and stepping back into the bass player role just felt like slipping my fave trainers back on. :)
Two songs in I relaxed and just really enjoyed the whole thing. By the end there were Lots of folks dancing and the vibe was really friendly and positive. Felt so much less pressure and more fun than my more recent frontman singer/guitarist role.
(Mainly cause I'm a bass player not a singer or guitarist lol)
Loved standing Infront of my rig again too :-)

Edited by gafbass02

Just started gigging again after about 12 years and have a had a few incidents where I have completely lost it due to nerves. Read up about it and spoke to a few friends and have come to the conclusion that I need to prepare and get rid of the nervous energy. My pre gig routine involves running on the spot; lots of stretches and deep breathing - remember to expel all the air in your lungs prior to deep breathing . Doing some runs on the bass to stretch fingers. Last gig was 21/12; followed my routine and everything was fine

I normally have utterly nothing at all in the way if nerves, almost a 'here we go again' attitude. I like to find a quiet spot and have a quiet moment or reflect on how lucky I am to be able to this stuff.
This was a proper bizarre one off! Hopefully normal service will be resumed on New Year's Eve for my next gig :)