Why become a member? ×

They don't make them like that anymore ( Xmas songs that is )

tonybassplayer

I know that most of those old seventies Xmas may seem a little cheesy but with the exception of the darkness one a few years ago they just don't seem to be able to hit that winning formula of the XMAS SONG that once was the staple of the English pop charts.

We had an afternoon of wrapping etc so put on a sky Xmas song channel and it was packed with the same old songs that seem naff by Boxing Day but at the moment seem sing a long able and cheery for a 50 something guy.

I know plenty will want to critiscise but I bet some of those guys are still getting a nice little yearly earner from that top 5 hit at Xmas yesteryear.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1355693332' post='1901504']
...I bet some of those guys are still getting a nice little yearly earner from that top 5 hit at Xmas yesteryear.[/quote]

+1 Noddy Holder frequently refers to [i]Merry Xmas Everybody[/i] (Holder, Lea) as his 'pension plan'.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1355693845' post='1901521']
At next weeks gig we will be finishing the night with the Slade one, went down a storm last year.[/quote]

Yay! But for an apparently simple song, the bass line is surprisingly challenging - if you play Jim Lea's version. :)

Very pleased this thread has stayed positive or over an hour already. I thought it could quickly get in to a seventies pop band thrashing.

The songs were products of the time and yes they may have aged a little but their shelf life is still going strong

At long last the seventies can be proud of what they gave us "the Xmas hit single" !!

Love the Pogues Christmas track, but then I love the Pogues anyway, so I can understand why others wouldn't.

For me there are two album that bring Christmas alive: Bjork - Debut, especially with the scent of White Musk Joss Sticks.
The other is Johnny Mathis - When A Child Is Born compilation album.

1. When A Child Is Born
2. Winter Wonderland
3. Jingle Bells Rock
4. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
5. Sleigh Ride
6. Silver Bells
7. The Christmas Song
8. White Christmas
9. Little Drummer Boy
10. O Holy Night
11. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
12. What Child Is This?
13. The First Noel
14. Carol Of The Bells
15. It Came Upon The Midnight Clear
16. Silent Night

Bit Christiany for me, but it sounds amazing.

Other than Johnny Mathis, the only other part of Christmas I like is the decorations. I love me some tinsel! Lots of glittery paper and twinkly lights and I'm a happy man.
I don't mind getting presents but I loathe having to open them infront of people, I'd rather get nothing at all. And you can keep family, too. I'd be just fine with just my wife and me, and lots of colourful, glittery stuff, twinkly lights and spicy smelling candles, of course.