Why become a member? ×

Yet another self-centred moan...

thepurpleblob

This is the situation....

- took up with a new pub/covers band a year or so back. Nice bunch of guys (and girl), get on with them great, have a say and get to play stuff I like playing etc. etc.
- Have only played two or three gigs in that time. To be fair, breaking a new band in the pub scene isn't as easy as it used to be
- Each has been more-or-less shocking except one where we had a stand-in drummer, more anon
- Our drummer is shockingly bad. A nice guy, but he can't play the drums and makes my life almost unbearable at times
- The guitarist and drummer are mates and the guitarist doesn't see it or, more likely, it doesn't affect him.
- We are all varying degrees of mature/sensible/proper jobs if you take my point

This culminated last week in one of our rare gigs which was a complete disaster. I have to take a proportion of the blame nobody played well but deep down I know that a crap drummer is screwing me up. I was so dispondent that I was almost sticking all my gear up for sale on here and taking up knitting. Not sure how to approach this. Gigging covers/functions bands looking for a second-rate (at best) bass player don't come up very often. Nor do decent drummers.

Edited by thepurpleblob

I've been in the same situation 2 years ago. The drummer all the time was playing the straight 8th beat with very seldom breaks. The worst was he could play better, but adopted the religion of "play less". I tried whatever approaches, pushed him hard, but after about 9 months I've left this band. I am still shrugging when I remember those days.

We appear to be in the same part of the world.

Ish.

I'm in Cumbernauld.

There's certainly more gigs than there are players in this area for pub bands.
AM Rehearsals in cumbernauld are forever posting 'bass player wanted' ads.

Incidentally, we seem to have mutual friends according to FB.

It's not that bad, get out and into a gigging band that's up to scratch.

You must leave and keep looking until the right line up appears. I tried auditioning for several bands and didnt think much cop of any of them. In the end I auditioned and formed my own band (although now its our band and all decisions are taken democratically which isnt hard as there's only 3 of us!) My point is you will Never Be Happy with this guy, he will not improve very much at this point in his "developement" and you will be forever frustrated. Be polite but firm with the other bandmembers and say it's me or him, if it's you then so be it, move on, another opportunity will come along, I promise!

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1355592542' post='1900362']
... taking up knitting. Not sure how to approach this.
[/quote]

Start with one colour only, and concentrate on technique in the beginning. Absolutely avoid thin and medium needles, and go for the jumbo ones. This has to do with loop size, and you can relax more in your digits' muscles.

Now as to styles, different schools exist, but I'd say that it's probably best to start with weft knitting, and wait with warp knitting until you have a secure technique.
That said: cable knitting is far easier than everyone thinks, so you can still get exiting results even as a beginner.

Good luck!

best,
bert

PS, as to the band, only you can decide, but it does look hopeless from here.

I agree with the comments that the drummer keeps it all together :)

Our band is lucky that the drummer is good and we all get on.

(in fact, the drummer and I have stayed as a rhythm unit and we have been through a few singers and guitarists)

You will never be happy with a poor drummer if you want to gig.

[quote name='Jon B' timestamp='1355593109' post='1900372']
if the drummer sucks, then you all suck, no matter how good the rest of you actually are, sad but true
[/quote]
This is so true - no amount of great playing by the other members of the band can compensate for the drummer being terrible, and nobody notices a terrible drummer more than the bass player.

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1355595130' post='1900426']
Bass playing is a life of woe and tears.
[/quote]
This, sadly, is also true.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1355610183' post='1900658']
I've been spoiled in previous bands by fabulous, confident drummers. They made my job so straightforward. I never realised
[/quote]

i played with a string of superb drummers and i know you really feel it when you then play with someone less proficient.

the worst thing i found was that it sapped my confidence and made me feel like i'd developed a timing problem ! (very much rectified by jamming with another band today)

i can only echo the advice above, get out if you can't hack it...i may do soon with my current 'less proficient' drummer.

(you have a great avatar btw)

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1355621567' post='1900755']

the worst thing i found was that it sapped my confidence and made me feel like i'd developed a timing problem !

(you have a great avatar btw)
[/quote]

...that's exactly the one. I feel all over the place...

...and thanks, deep down I see myself as an insane German woman :gas: :gas:

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1355604518' post='1900576']
Start with one colour only, and concentrate on technique in the beginning. Absolutely avoid thin and medium needles, and go for the jumbo ones. This has to do with loop size, and you can relax more in your digits' muscles.

Now as to styles, different schools exist, but I'd say that it's probably best to start with weft knitting, and wait with warp knitting until you have a secure technique.
That said: cable knitting is far easier than everyone thinks, so you can still get exiting results even as a beginner.

Good luck!

best,
bert

PS, as to the band, only you can decide, but it does look hopeless from here.
[/quote]

I'm with Bert on this one.

as for the band, just tell them you're not enjoying it and leave. There's no point making yourself miserable.

4 years ago, I left the band I was in. They had ( at that point) been going for 21 years and had a great following. All good players and nice people. Roadie was/is/always will be a nob head. I just stopped enjoying it and after a little soul searching decided to leave and put a new band together. I started to enjoy playing again

Ahhh, the old duff drummer syndrome... "But he's my mate" is the reply from the thinstringer...

I've learnt, over the last few years, if it fills you with dread, and makes your 'stock' look shoddy...walk.. or kick off..or at least do something, it will only make you feel or get worse as a musician.

You shouldn't let someone else's lack of ability affect your decision on whether to continue playing bass. It's not your fault he's crap.

I've been playing for longer than I care to remember, and frankly have only ever worked with three drummers who were any good. They are extremely rare beasts, and any drummer worth his salt is going to be hard to come by.

Having said that, they are out there - it's a bit of a quest, but it can be done. Excelsior! :)

Edited by discreet