Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Bass 1966 SOLD

Hi All,

Up for sale is my 1966 Fender Precision Bass with original hard case.

Featherweight at 8.5lbs and plays and sounds like only a vintage P can.

Great overall condition although with plenty of dings and dongs (especially around body edge) and other cosmetic wear.

Case also sturdy but has clearly seen some action in the bar room trenches.

Feel free to PM me for more photos or to arrange to come and have a looksee with absolutely no obligation.

Looking for £3,250......hoping for cash but happy to listen to trade / pex offers.

Cheers, Si

Edited by 0353203

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1355587714' post='1900272']
Bloody hell Si, do you have a never ending supply of these lovely vintage Fenders? :D
[/quote]

He has to have a time machine. It's the only explanation as to where all these beauties come from...

[quote name='0353203' timestamp='1355651922' post='1900849']
The bass has the Fender 'ES' stamp (Entered Special) which means it was intended for a dealer show.

I couldn't attend as I was watching the World Cup final (well, I was in a cot in the TV room, according to my ol' Dad......)
[/quote]

Good luck with your sale, that'a an US price for a real beauty!

Where did you hear about the ES stamp's meaning? It has been a subject of debate for years and I've never heard a reasonable explanation. They appear on a good number of '66 Fenders but AFAIK not on other years' instruments.

[quote name='One Drop' timestamp='1355660423' post='1900988']
Good luck with your sale, that'a an US price for a real beauty!

Where did you hear about the ES stamp's meaning? It has been a subject of debate for years and I've never heard a reasonable explanation. They appear on a good number of '66 Fenders but AFAIK not on other years' instruments.
[/quote]

[i][u]Reliable Quote:[/u][/i]

[i][size="2"][font="Verdana"][b]1966 and the "ES" Stamp.[/b]
In 1966, Fender used the "ES" code a lot on their custom color instruments. At least for 1966, the ES code was used as some sort of default for custom colored instruments (be it Teles, or Strats or Jazz Basses). This [u]two letters[/u] ("ES" for "Enter Special") seems to denote a special order, at least for 1966. Again this is has been seen lots of times on 1966 documented original custom color instruments. I have also seen the "ES" stamp on some 1966 sunburst instruments! (Perhaps these guitars were special show models, so extra care was taken in their finish.) The 1/2" tall [u]2-letter code[/u] were a factory color code, and are completely different than the 1/2" tall three-digit codes. The two-letter code appears to be CBS/Fender's way of specifying bodies to be painted a custom color for a special order once the body was in the spray booth. If a guitar has a two letter code on the body *only* (and not the neck), again this confirms the 2-letter code was an original factory color code (and does not indicate a factory refinish order). But then there is this question: why do only some 1965-1968 custom color Fenders have this two letter code and others do not? It may have to do with how many custom colored guitars were being painted at any point in time, and the 2-letter code was applied to avoid confusion. Or it was applied just for particular special orders (like a Fender NAMM show guitar or a special dealer/artist order). [/font][/size][/i]

[i][size="2"][font="Verdana"]Rick[/font][/size][/i]

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1355686256' post='1901398']
[i][u]Reliable Quote:[/u][/i]

[i][size=2][font=Verdana][b]1966 and the "ES" Stamp.[/b]
In 1966, Fender used the "ES" code a lot on their custom color instruments. At least for 1966, the ES code was used as some sort of default for custom colored instruments (be it Teles, or Strats or Jazz Basses). This [u]two letters[/u] ("ES" for "Enter Special") seems to denote a special order, at least for 1966. Again this is has been seen lots of times on 1966 documented original custom color instruments. I have also seen the "ES" stamp on some 1966 sunburst instruments! (Perhaps these guitars were special show models, so extra care was taken in their finish.) The 1/2" tall [u]2-letter code[/u] were a factory color code, and are completely different than the 1/2" tall three-digit codes. The two-letter code appears to be CBS/Fender's way of specifying bodies to be painted a custom color for a special order once the body was in the spray booth. If a guitar has a two letter code on the body *only* (and not the neck), again this confirms the 2-letter code was an original factory color code (and does not indicate a factory refinish order). But then there is this question: why do only some 1965-1968 custom color Fenders have this two letter code and others do not? It may have to do with how many custom colored guitars were being painted at any point in time, and the 2-letter code was applied to avoid confusion. Or it was applied just for particular special orders (like a Fender NAMM show guitar or a special dealer/artist order). [/font][/size][/i]

[i][size=2][font=Verdana]Rick[/font][/size][/i]
[/quote]

Sorry for pursuing this is your FS thread, but that explanation isn't logical or remotely consistent, or supported by any sort of corroboration by Fender employees, records, or anecdotes. Who is the quote from anyway, I'm curious? I understand this to remain a mystery even to the most dedicated experts, and I've yet to hear an explanation that is borne out by any evidence.

Please take the nitpicking as a bump for a gorgeous instrument. I have a LPB '66 P without the stamp and a '66 S/B J with one, FWIW, and IME many of the best Fenders I've payed are from that year.

Edited by One Drop

[quote name='One Drop' timestamp='1355745000' post='1902004']
Sorry for pursuing this is your FS thread, but that explanation isn't logical or remotely consistent, or supported by any sort of corroboration by Fender employees, records, or anecdotes. Who is the quote from anyway, I'm curious? I understand this to remain a mystery even to the most dedicated experts, and I've yet to hear an explanation that is borne out by any evidence.

Please take the nitpicking as a bump for a gorgeous instrument. I have a LPB '66 P without the stamp and a '66 S/B J with one, FWIW, and IME many of the best Fenders I've payed are from that year.
[/quote]

This is not my thread, so please PM me for a response, as I have no intention of hijacking someone's sale thread of a very fine bass.

In your PM, please give some introduction about your experience of vintage Fenders, as there's little mystery about these marks. Having said that, there are some oddities within Fender, particularly the pre-CBS era, where myth and legend do occur, and some acceptance that no-one will ever know, must prevail. Thanks, Rick.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1355775080' post='1902650']
This is not my thread, so please PM me for a response, as I have no intention of hijacking someone's sale thread of a very fine bass.

In your PM, please give some introduction about your experience of vintage Fenders, as there's little mystery about these marks. Having said that, there are some oddities within Fender, particularly the pre-CBS era, where myth and legend do occur, and some acceptance that no-one will ever know, must prevail. Thanks, Rick.
[/quote]

My understanding of the ES mark is that there are a lot of theories about its purpose, but no proof. I'd be interested in your source as well, Rick.

Have another bump, OP. Gorgeous bass.