Why become a member? ×

16.5mm string spacing... where to look?

Jellyfish

Having gotten very used to my Ibanez Prestige 5-string bass, I am now seeking a bass guitar of similar proportions or more specifically, 16.5mm string spacing. I've looked at most of the major brands and can only see Ibanez that do them with the string spacing like this.

Does anyone else know of any other 5 string basses that have 16.5mm spacing? Thanks!

I used to own a Washburn ABT105 5-string bass which had 16.5mm spacing. It was a fairly poor 5-string bass though.

BTW what's the obsession with only going by the string spacing at the bridge? It's only part of the picture. I thought that I was very tolerant of different string spacings, as I had a lot of different 5-string basses with different bridge string spacings. However on measuring the string spacing at the point where I actually pluck the strings, I found that they were all with .25mm of each other, due to differences in taper between the bridge and the nut.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1355589687' post='1900300']
For me I think the spacing at the nut is crucial to, as this in combination with the spacing at the bridge effects how far apart the strings are when fretting.
[/quote]

Exactly! The bass I have with the widest spacing at the bridge also has the narrowest at the nut. Anyone looking at it purely from a bridge spacing PoV might be in for a bit of a shock when they actually played it. Therefore unless I'm supplying specifications for having a bass built I've stopped looking at the numbers and just go with how the bass feels when I play it.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1355589914' post='1900305']
Exactly! The bass I have with the widest spacing at the bridge also has the narrowest at the nut. Anyone looking at it purely from a bridge spacing PoV might be in for a bit of a shock when they actually played it. Therefore unless I'm supplying specifications for having a bass built I've stopped looking at the numbers and just go with how the bass feels when I play it.
[/quote]

Well that's certainly what I've done in the past. However, the basses that I'm really looking to try (5 string Spector's and 5 string Musicman's) aren't really stocked in any shops near me which is unfortunate. So I thought I'd turn to facts. :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1355589914' post='1900305']
[/quote]

Ibanez BTB 6-string comes to mind. Generous spacing at the bridge...Almost the same at the nut, neck has almost no taper. X-D
Riffing anywhere before the 5th fret becomes tiring.

As for brands, if you're using an Ibanez, LTD also has very similar spacing. I bought an F-series purely for the narrower spacing for when I'm playing stuff that's pretty much finger style and my left hand has to flail all over the shop to keep up. Helps keep fatigue down when unnecessary mass of bass is just that.
Failing that, Spector? Peavey? Warwick?

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355600166' post='1900527']
One mm won't make any difference imo just get an mm sr5 :) you say nowhere near stocks ebmm but your avatar thing says birmingham?
[/quote]

Well I say that, but what I really mean is 'I've not seen any in the shops that I regularly visit'. If anyone knows of any stockists of Musicman basses in Birmingham then please let me know.

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1355618555' post='1900737']
Failing that, Spector? Peavey? Warwick?
[/quote]

Spector 5 strings are hard to find to give them a try. And unfortunately the same case with Peavey and Warwick. :(

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1355659737' post='1900973']
Well I say that, but what I really mean is 'I've not seen any in the shops that I regularly visit'. If anyone knows of any stockists of Musicman basses in Birmingham then please let me know.
[/quote]
Just had a look and they are not as easily available as they were are they? PMT have none at all in any stores and Guitar Guitar have one black one but I can't see which store it is at?
I'm not far away (25 miles from B'ham) if you wanted to try mine, as you can see I have both a ceramic 2007 and an Alnico new spec one 2010 :)

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1355665326' post='1901063']
G&L Tribute is 17mm, which is pretty close to what you're looking for.
[/quote]

Owned one of those and I loved the neck on them but the string spacing was definitely a factor in my decision to eventually sell it. I realise it's only small but I can definitely notice it.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355660349' post='1900986']
Just had a look and they are not as easily available as they were are they? PMT have none at all in any stores and Guitar Guitar have one black one but I can't see which store it is at?
I'm not far away (25 miles from B'ham) if you wanted to try mine, as you can see I have both a ceramic 2007 and an Alnico new spec one 2010 :)
[/quote]

Shame I don't drive really.. :(